PDA

View Full Version : Question for officials

LH Panther Mom
09-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Hubby and son were watching FSN Scoreboard last night, saw something in the Fredericksburg highlights and brought it up this morning. They both thought it was an illegal play, but flag wasn't called. (I can review the footage for better specifics, if needed.)

Fburg had the ball, QB got the snap. One of the OL guys was behind the LOS (# 66) and the QB pitched it to him. He proceeded to run for several yd gain. Is there ever a time that OL (outside of ends) are eligible?

Pmoney
09-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Hubby and son were watching FSN Scoreboard last night, saw something in the Fredericksburg highlights and brought it up this morning. They both thought it was an illegal play, but flag wasn't called. (I can review the footage for better specifics, if needed.)

Fburg had the ball, QB got the snap. One of the OL guys was behind the LOS (# 66) and the QB pitched it to him. He proceeded to run for several yd gain. Is there ever a time that OL (outside of ends) are eligible?
im not an official but they are eligible to catch a pitch...as long as its not forward....its kinda like a fumble the OL can pick it up and go....it is a legal play

LH Panther Mom
09-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney
im not an official but they are eligible to catch a pitch...as long as its not forward....its kinda like a fumble the OL can pick it up and go....it is a legal play
It was forward....I'm going to watch to get more details. Hearsay stinks. :D

LH Panther Mom
09-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Okay, I found it and watched a few times. You couldn't tell where the OL was in relation to LOS so that doesn't count. :doh:

QB was back with 3-4 defenders almost on him. He pitched a pass forward OVER the defensive guys to the OL.

Emerson1
09-08-2007, 05:39 PM
If the player was declared eligible then you can.

LH Panther Mom
09-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
If the player was declared eligible then you can. Isn't that a "before the play" thing? Must be the case here, that's for sure. It was fun to watch that guy with it. :D

And thanks.....I remember that now that you said what it was. :)

VAMike
09-08-2007, 05:48 PM
An OL wearing # 50 - 79 can NEVER be eligible to receive a forward pass in our game. Reporting to the R is a NFL thing, does not apply in NCAA (or Texas HS). The OL can receive a backward pass though.

GreenMonster
09-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by VAMike
An OL wearing # 50 - 79 can NEVER be eligible to receive a forward pass in our game. Reporting to the R is a NFL thing, does not apply in NCAA (or Texas HS). The OL can receive a backward pass though. The UIL no longer uses NCAA rules in Texas. Reporting to the officials as being eligible is still allowed in Texas as far as I know. This is to allow schools to continue to use a lineman as a kicker.

VAMike
09-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Someone has really misinformed you. Anyone can be a kicker, regardless of the number he is wearing. And Texas most assuredly DOES use NCAA rules with just a few UIL exceptions. The confusion mught be due to last year. LAst year Texas did not go with the 2006 NCAA rules but kept the 2005 rules. This year they are in sync with NCAA again (2007 rules)

GreenMonster
09-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Someone has really misinformed you. Anyone can be a kicker, regardless of the number he is wearing. And Texas most assuredly DOES use NCAA rules with just a few UIL exceptions. The confusion mught be due to last year. LAst year Texas did not go with the 2006 NCAA rules but kept the 2005 rules. This year they are in sync with NCAA again (2007 rules) Sorry Mike, but from what our officials have told us (yes, I am a coach) UIL is still on 2005 rules. As far as any number being a kicker you sir are correct, I was using that as an example of a typically ineligle number being reported in as being eligible in case said kicker is needed to catch a forward pass. This is why Texas still allows ineligible numbers to report in.

VAMike
09-08-2007, 08:32 PM
I don't know what part of the state you are in so I don't know the Chapter you use but I suggest you call the Secretary or President pretty quick. Someone has misled you. I am a TASO clinician and taught this year in Texas. Texas IS using 2007 rules and there is NO reporting in. (And I can hook you up with someone at the state level in TASO if the local guys still say they are using 2005 rules and are letting players "report in".)

LH Panther Mom
09-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks for all the input. Maybe I youtube it. :D (We didn't think it was legal, but weren't positive.)

Txbroadcaster
09-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Thanks for all the input. Maybe I youtube it. :D (We didn't think it was legal, but weren't positive.)

Something not asked..Did the D tip the ball before the OL guy caught it?

LH Panther Mom
09-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Something not asked..Did the D tip the ball before the OL guy caught it?
I don't believe so....at least I don't remember seeing it. They (D) were all closing in on the QB for sack, he threw it over them.

VAMike
09-08-2007, 09:11 PM
http://www.ntcfootballofficials.org/ (N Texas Chapter)

For the Greenmonster:
Appears maybe these guys cover your games. Check out their website. The have the 2007 NCAA rules there

VAMike
09-09-2007, 05:56 AM
Re the play that started this (Fredericksburg pass play), I spoke with the crew and they advised the OL was #66 and the play WAS flagged.

LH Panther Mom
09-09-2007, 06:15 AM
Re the play that started this (Fredericksburg pass play), I spoke with the crew and they advised the OL was #66 and the play WAS flagged.
:thumbsup: The FSN guys made such a big deal about how cool it was & footage immediately went to another play, so you couldn't tell. (Still was kind of cool to watch. :D ) Thanks for your help....and as always, your knowledge. :)

Chopblock
09-09-2007, 03:17 PM
http://www.ntcfootballofficials.org/ (N Texas Chapter)

For the Greenmonster:
Appears maybe these guys cover your games. Check out their website. The have the 2007 NCAA rules there

Mike, I called a Division Rep for that chapter and told him the deal, he will cover it monday

VAMike
09-09-2007, 03:59 PM
I know a Division Rep for that Chapter and he is one of the most rules savvy guys in the state of Texas which is why I really don't think that is the Chapter's position. He is far too knowledgeable to let that happen.

Chopblock
09-09-2007, 09:01 PM
so do I I called out of that chapter for 6 years before moving to Elgin

I met you when you did the playoff game in Elgin 3 years ago, I ran the 25 sec clock that night

VAMike
09-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Oh yeah, Little River - Brookshire Royal

burnet44
09-09-2007, 09:17 PM
I just remembered why i dont call games anymore

Chopblock
09-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Your too OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JasonTX
09-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Definitely no such thing as reporting in under NCAA rules nor in the North Texas Chapter. North Texas Chapter as well as all chapters in Texas uses NCAA 2007 rules with UIL exceptions.

burnet44
09-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Chopblock
Your too OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no
and I can get around up and down the field better than you lol

you NN's argue about the rules
and you dont even know them lol

my question
was 66 on the line was he one of the 7?
then he had to be covered up
and yes i know a lateral
not a foward pass
Id have to see the play

argue more lol

the Waco chapter sucks
right up there with the FT. Worth chapter
and they guys we got 0 week from temple were bad
but we had 3 crews from Temple at Chilton that were great
Where is the old East texas chapter?
they were always good to us

JasonTX
09-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by burnet44

...and yes i know a lateral
not a foward pass...

There is no such creature as a lateral in the rule book. :)

VAMike
09-10-2007, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by burnet44
no
my question
was 66 on the line was he one of the 7?
then he had to be covered up

66 would not have to be covered up. He could be the last guy on the line (but that still would not make him eligible)