PDA

View Full Version : Booster Club meetings

44INAROW
09-08-2007, 02:41 PM
it was mentioned on another thread that a head coach didn't attend Booster Club meetings and it got me to thinking - "why not" - I assume he was being "grilled" as to decisions and outcomes of games and for that, I guess I understand. Things aren't run like that in Cuero and I was wondering how other towns Booster club meetings are conducted....... any feedback?

I believe the Head Coach or AD or whatever the position is - should be represented at Booster club meetings (when possible, I understand practice or games get in the way) - Most of the coaches (and alot of spouses) come to the meetings every week in Cuero.. they give a brief report of the previous week's game (s) depending on the season and are NOT THERE to field questions from the "audience" and are NOT expected to explain their decisions/action of the games. Our Booster Club meetings for the most part are positive and have an average of 75-80 folks each week (last week we had 97 I think) We meet every Wednesday beginning in August until the end of December and the 1st Weds of the month from January to July.

Beginning with the 7th grade volleyball report to the Varsity football game - a brief report is given. Then a brief report of the upcoming game is given. The reporting coach gives highlights of the game and from time to time will mention a particular player's name if there was an outstanding play, but for the most part - it is strictly a team report and not a "single player" report. I might be 100% off but I think our coaches have a good relationship with the Booster club and vice-versa. Oh and while we get new members every year - the "core" of the Booster Club consists of guys (and gals) who's sons and daughters graduated long ago but continue to give back to the program.

Old Green
09-08-2007, 02:57 PM
I need to attend more often.

BILLYFRED0000
09-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Celina has had the QB club since 1953 I believe. It is a booster club and we meet every thursday at 5:30 am for breakfast. Coaches go over game film from the week before and we all eat breakfast and look at what they see when they breakdown the film. No one gets grilled because we are all wanting to see the cats win. Not to say there aren't some "questions" but it is fun and civil and the qb club guys and girls are more than a little football savvy. I have not gotten to go in a while as my work schedule is in conflict. It's a lot of fun even if it is early.....;)

bobcat1
09-08-2007, 04:47 PM
This year we have been having between 87-105 guys each week at 5:30 am. All our coaches are there every meeting. :D

44INAROW
09-08-2007, 05:02 PM
I totally forgot to mention the food aspect of the meetings. :doh: Each meeting - we have a different group of 4 or 5 guys cook. Usual fare would be: 1) BBQ pork tenderloin, german potatoes, green beans and banana puddingl 2) Cowboy Stew with cornbread, salad and cookies with Blue Bell ice cream 3) Fajitas with all the trimmings and Peach Cobbler 4) BBQ Hamburgers and Blue Bell 5) BBQ Ribs etc....... it is fun to see what each different group prepares. Last week of October my brother is coming to town and with my husband and a couple of others is going to make his "famous" Shrimp Gumbo...... A local industrical contractor has generously opened his office facilities to the Booster Club (for 35 years) and just this past summer completely "redid" the kitchen/break area in a Gobbler theme - with green and white tile floors, green on the ceiling and a huge Gobbler painted on the walls. He has all sort of plaques and framed newspaper clippings on the walls.. Pretty neat.
I commend you Celina folks for getting up so early, I don't know if we'd have the turn-out you'll have so early :)

LH Panther Mom
09-08-2007, 05:14 PM
:( *heavy sigh* We don't have a large attendance at our meetings, normally. :dispntd:

raider red 2000
09-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I totally forgot to mention the food aspect of the meetings. :doh: Each meeting - we have a different group of 4 or 5 guys cook. Usual fare would be: 1) BBQ pork tenderloin, german potatoes, green beans and banana puddingl 2) Cowboy Stew with cornbread, salad and cookies with Blue Bell ice cream 3) Fajitas with all the trimmings and Peach Cobbler 4) BBQ Hamburgers and Blue Bell 5) BBQ Ribs etc.......

dont yall usually ahve some adult beverages???

BTW- what are yall's dues...and do people donate each week to help pay for food?

pirate4state
09-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:( *heavy sigh* We don't have a large attendance at our meetings, normally. :dispntd: us either, but we are seeing some more interest :thumbsup: Our coach is in attendance. :)

bobcat1
09-08-2007, 08:09 PM
I totally forgot to mention the food aspect of the meetings. :doh: Each meeting - we have a different group of 4 or 5 guys cook. Usual fare would be: 1) BBQ pork tenderloin, german potatoes, green beans and banana puddingl 2) Cowboy Stew with cornbread, salad and cookies with Blue Bell ice cream 3) Fajitas with all the trimmings and Peach Cobbler 4) BBQ Hamburgers and Blue Bell 5) BBQ Ribs etc....... it is fun to see what each different group prepares. Last week of October my brother is coming to town and with my husband and a couple of others is going to make his "famous" Shrimp Gumbo...... A local industrical contractor has generously opened his office facilities to the Booster Club (for 35 years) and just this past summer completely "redid" the kitchen/break area in a Gobbler theme - with green and white tile floors, green on the ceiling and a huge Gobbler painted on the walls. He has all sort of plaques and framed newspaper clippings on the walls.. Pretty neat.
I commend you Celina folks for getting up so early, I don't know if we'd have the turn-out you'll have so early :)

Yes we have breakfast for $4 which includes OJ, Coffee, eggs, bacon, sausage, or on occasion pork chops. Biscuits and gravy also. as with Cuero 4 men always volunteer for each week to cook. The previous weeks game film is running while breakfast is consumed.

I still think it would be great to meet up with Cuero in the playoffs. I like the sound of y'alls meetings too! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

rancher
09-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Just leaned Jimmy Mitchell at Sealy refuses to attend the booster club. Sent word he does not have to explain himself or his decisions. School Board members are upset. He does need to explain his decisions, everyone may not agree, but they deserve an explanation. Seems to me he is about to be an ex coach.

Txbroadcaster
09-08-2007, 08:14 PM
It is not the job of a HC to answer to the fans when it comes to his decisions...If he wants to go to the booster club meeting and give basic status update of the team for the week, the go for it..But I dont think a coach should be pressured, or forced to show game film to the fans. And you have a coach for a losing team doing Q&A it has the chance to become uncomfortable for everyone.

GreenMonster
09-08-2007, 08:30 PM
By UIL rule, a school administrator must be in attendance of any booster club meeting where a vote is taken for said meeting to be legal. School administrator can include Athletics Director, Principal, or Superintendent. Since most small school football coaches double as Athletics director they are usually the assigned administrator to the booster club meetings.

Txbroadcaster
09-08-2007, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
By UIL rule, a school administrator must be in attendance of any booster club meeting where a vote is taken for said meeting to be legal. School administrator can include Athletics Director, Principal, or Superintendent. Since most small school football coaches double as Athletics director they are usually the assigned administrator to the booster club meetings.

Again going there for basic info is great..I just IMO dont see a real benefit to showing game film and explaining every decision made by the coach, unless he truly wants to

BILLYFRED0000
09-08-2007, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Again going there for basic info is great..I just IMO dont see a real benefit to showing game film and explaining every decision made by the coach, unless he truly wants to

It comes down to attitude. Our community believes in the kids and the coaches. We understand that you cannot always be the best otherwise we would have a lot more state trophies. Coach Ford is just about the best guy and kids want to play for him. He and all the other coaches have the character and attitude we want our boys to have. Now don't get me wrong. It ain't all rosy. But believe me when I say it that we would not be Celina Bobcat football without it.

44INAROW
09-09-2007, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
BTW- what are yall's dues...and do people donate each week to help pay for food?

It is $10 a year for membership (now that I think about it - it might be $5 a person, I am used to paying for both of us at the same time) and $7 a week for meal expense....(It just went up from $5 last year) . of course, if you come but don't eat - you don't pay lol.........

Maroon87
09-09-2007, 01:12 AM
My parents when to a grand total of one booster club meeting when I was in HS. Too much brown nosing and politics for their tastes.

celinaorange
09-09-2007, 01:56 AM
As previously stated, I have been associated with the Celina ISD and their school activities since 1973. Our coaches have always attended quarterback club meetings (all coaches attend). When the season starts we meet with the team and coaches before one of the morning workouts and circle the team and pray for their safety and for their opponents and their fans. We normally have close to 100 members present (mostly men, we have a few women and they are welcome to attend). Our high school principal and our school superintendent and most of our school board members are present most of the time (probably about 90 percent of the meetings). Our coaches and our school administrators and our school board are all strong Christain men and women and we still pray prior to the start of our football games. The Celina Quarterback Club raises between $50,000 to $75,000 per year and these funds are donated to the school and help to provide most anything that any program within the school's athletic structure needs (in addition to what the school provides). Even though it is called the quarterback club, we help with all activities associated within the athletic program . We also provide financial assistance to emergency situations within the Celina community and also to other communities around us (tragedies such as homes destroyed by fire, parents injured or unable to work because of an accident). The emergency situations are brought up as needed and are not associated with the athletic program. We support all of our youth in all of their programs. We have around 530 enrolled in high school and around 250 in the 7th and 8th grade. We have 135 out for football in high school and approximately 100+ out in the 7th and 8th. In addition to our varsity schedule we play 3 high school jv schedules (jv orange, jv white, and jv grey). The 7th and 8th grade plays 1 (and sometimes 2) jv games plus the varsity at both levels. Celina has a separate organization called the Bobcat Moms. They meet and support activities in the same manner as the qb club. The qb club also donates funds to this organization. As I have not attended a Bobcat Mom meeting, I do not know if any men attend, it is mostly moms of players.

celinaorange
09-09-2007, 02:05 AM
The number of high school students at Celina is just over 500. In the previous post I stated that their was around 530. That was an error that I failed to proof read. It should have said around 500. Sorry, my mistake.

44INAROW
09-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by celinaorange
The number of high school students at Celina is just over 500. In the previous post I stated that their was around 530. That was an error that I failed to proof read. It should have said around 500. Sorry, my mistake.

you are hereby banished from the downlow for 20 days for such an awful mistake :D :D j/k

and we like you'll have a Christian based team and pray before and after every game. One of the most touching moments last year was after the Bandera game when the Bandera players were making their circle to pray as the Cuero team was doing the same - both teams joined in unity and prayed in one circle. That was a neat moment!

Oh, our Supt was the head chef last week at Booster Club - ;)
(but I still wonder if we'd have the turnout @ 5:30AM) :p

bobcat1
09-09-2007, 04:15 PM

and we like you'll have a Christian based team and pray before and after every game. One of the most touching moments last year was after the Bandera game when the Bandera players were making their circle to pray as the Cuero team was doing the same - both teams joined in unity and prayed in one circle. That was a neat moment!

Happens every game with Celina if the other team is willing. It is a special moment for sure after a battle. I think it would be neat to replenish those boys and coaches with food and drink after the game together. :thinking:

TAMUGRAD
09-09-2007, 09:38 PM
you are hereby banished from the downlow for 20 days for such an awful mistake :D :D j/k

Oh, our Supt was the head chef last week at Booster Club - ;)
(but I still wonder if we'd have the turnout @ 5:30AM) :p

I would not make it if it were at 5:30AM, and I can't wait for that gumbo, mmmm.

injuredinmelee
09-09-2007, 09:45 PM
i havent been to a Wylie booster club meeting in a couple of years now but Sandifer usually goes through the game film and then a mini scouting report for the next opponent and then they take care of club business. Pretty vanilla.