PDA

View Full Version : Back from Brownwood

GetRDoneStangs
09-08-2007, 01:38 AM
It was a tough loss for Sweetwater, but hats off to a very good Brownwood team. It was different as a fan and sports reporter to drive 2 hours home after suffering a loss like we experenced tonight. The old saying "That it is better to give, than recieve" comes to mind...we had been on the giving end and not so much as the recieving end of this for many years.

But, being on the sidelines with the kids, they stayed positive and never seemed to give up. I hope that we can build on this and as we get healthy...we will be a better team!

One awesome thing did come out tonight....

I had the opportunity to visit and interview one of the best high school coaches in Texas!!!!

W.T Stapler was at the game and I was able to track him down and had a great visit and half time interview on the radio. He is a facinating man.....at the ripe ol age of 73 (I think)..he coached football for 41 years!

Stapler coached at Sweetwater in the 80's and lead the Mustangs to a state championship in 1985. He later coached in the Metroplex...Andrews...and Brownwood.

He said he still likes to travel..so look for W.T. Stapler at a high school game near you!!!

wildstangs
09-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Didn't he coach at Carlsbad also?

Sweetwater Red
09-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
It was a tough loss for Sweetwater, but hats off to a very good Brownwood team. It was different as a fan and sports reporter to drive 2 hours home after suffering a loss like we experenced tonight. The old saying "That it is better to give, than recieve" comes to mind...we had been on the giving end and not so much as the recieving end of this for many years.

But, being on the sidelines with the kids, they stayed positive and never seemed to give up. I hope that we can build on this and as we get healthy...we will be a better team!

One awesome thing did come out tonight....

I had the opportunity to visit and interview one of the best high school coaches in Texas!!!!

W.T Stapler was at the game and I was able to track him down and had a great visit and half time interview on the radio. He is a facinating man.....at the ripe ol age of 73 (I think)..he coached football for 41 years!

Stapler coached at Sweetwater in the 80's and lead the Mustangs to a state championship in 1985. He later coached in the Metroplex...Andrews...and Brownwood.

He said he still likes to travel..so look for W.T. Stapler at a high school game near you!!!

I feel for the seniors but you have to be enthusiastic about all
the sophomore starters. In another year or two Sweetwater
will be good.........again.:D

GetRDoneStangs
09-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Didn't he coach at Carlsbad also?

I seemed to remember he did..Wasn't it after he retired or maybe between Andrews and Brownwood???

wildstangs
09-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
I seemed to remember he did..Wasn't it after he retired or maybe between Andrews and Brownwood???

I believe it was between Andrews and Brownwood. Go Cavemen.