PDA

View Full Version : University of Texas football team well traveled.

Phil C
09-07-2007, 11:12 AM
The University of Texas football team has been well traveled in its' history inspite of for years being in the Southwest Conference and restricted mostly to Texas Schools. Also many teams preferred to travel to Austin to play for whatever reason such as more gate revenues, etc.
In spite of this Texas has played in many states and has won games in most of the out of state states played. There are a few exceptions that occurred mainly to catching UT in down years and also some were played many many years ago. Remember UT has played football since 1893!
UT has played in Utah once losing to BYU in 1988, Illinois once losing to Chicago in 1904, Kentucky once losing to Louisville in 1993, Virginia once losing to Virginia in 1996, in Mississippi once losing to Mississipp State in 1991 and in Minnesota in the 30s losing to Minnesota back when Minnesota had great teams.

Some of the states we have not played in have had teams come to Austin such as Idaho and New Mexico several times. It is ironic that no UT football team has ever played a game with the neighboring state of New Mexico. Also Arizona has once played us in Texas.

UT has not played in the following states:

Arizona, Idaho, Nevada, Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, North and South Dakota, Montana, Michigan, West Virginia, South Carolina, Delaware, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Main, Vermont and Alaska.

So UT is well traveled. Please feel free to double check me and make corrections.

KTJ
09-07-2007, 11:52 AM
I believe UT has tried numerous times to schedule a home/home with Michigan but it's UM that won't budge. I think they want to play us as a home/home but they don't want to come to Texas in early September.

Same goes with ND. Of course along with ND, they wanted us to play in Dallas.

BMOC
09-07-2007, 11:59 AM
Not many teams do. austin is a tough place to play and win. With the success that Ohio State had last year, you would think UM would play a home and home.......then again, Appalachian State :eek:

Sweetwater Red
09-07-2007, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
I believe UT has tried numerous times to schedule a home/home with Michigan but it's UM that won't budge. I think they want to play us as a home/home but they don't want to come to Texas in early September.

Same goes with ND. Of course along with ND, they wanted us to play in Dallas.

I saw an interview with Bo and Darryl and they both
said their schedules were tough enough and that they didn't
want any of the other. Although I find it hard to believe as long
as UM and UT have been playing football they only played
once.

BMOC
09-07-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I saw an interview with Bo and Darryl and they both
said their schedules were tough enough and that they didn't
want any of the other. Although I find it hard to believe as long
as UM and UT have been playing football they only played
once.

Bo and Darryl??? It's been a long time since those two have been on the sidelines. You would think that as important as the "quality" wins have become in College Football these two teams would have a home/home against each other. Would also be a great thing for College Football.

Sweetwater Red
09-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by BMOC
Bo and Darryl??? It's been a long time since those two have been on the sidelines. You would think that as important as the "quality" wins have become in College Football these two teams would have a home/home against each other. Would also be a great thing for College Football.

I agree. I think the only one to catch on is Les Miles and LSU.

KTJ
09-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Hard to believe but the last two years have been the only time Texas has played Ohio State as well.

Although with the beating we took from Ohio State fans, I can now see why. Michigan fans from the Rose Bowl warned us that we wouldn't like Ohio State fans. Little did we know...

Sweetwater Red
09-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Hard to believe but the last two years have been the only time Texas has played Ohio State as well.

Although with the beating we took from Ohio State fans, I can now see why. Michigan fans from the Rose Bowl warned us that we wouldn't like Ohio State fans. Little did we know...

Oh please tell....

mistanice
09-07-2007, 01:53 PM
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t70/tb12166/vyoilersluvyablue1.jpg

BMOC
09-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Nice PIC; love how the cheerleader is almost in the middle of the field.

mistanice
09-07-2007, 01:57 PM
isnt that supposed to be the USC cheerleader aka die hard UT fan??

Phil C
09-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
isnt that supposed to be the USC cheerleader aka die hard UT fan??

I think it is our girl Natalie from USC! Great job of putting her there. :)

Phil C
09-08-2007, 04:04 PM
I was corrected on Arizona. We did play there in the Fiesta Bowl in 1997 against Penn State.

Phil C
09-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Someone told me that the Sun Bowl where UT has played is actually in New Mexico. I am skeptical. Can any of our West Texas fans help?

Phil C
09-09-2007, 08:45 AM
I have also been corrected that we have played in New York. We played Syracuse there in 1992 losing 31 to 21. This leaves only 17 States we have never played in and it is unlikely that we will ever play in Alaska because someone pointed out that none of the universities in Alaska play college football but if it is so it doesn't rule out future possibilities.

Phil C
09-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Just to double check I emailed some good friends in El Paso and they informed me that the Sun Bowl is 100% in Texas but that you can look and see Juarez, Mexico. That is where I had a great time at the Solar de la Plaza and fought the brave bull.

http://www.indigenthealthcaresolutions.com/photo_album/2006-auditors-el_paso/originals/426.jpg