PDA

View Full Version : High School Bands

buff4life
09-07-2007, 09:31 AM
Do yalls high school bands actually play music at a halftime show that people know? Our band is Division I rating for the last 6 years, but the music they play is unbelievable. I have been to every game for the last 6 years and I have recognized only one of the songs they play. No one wonder the only people in the stand at halftime are the band parents. Jazz up the music to something upbeat and new, not the old 70s stuff that wasn't even popular then....i'm just ranting

CHS_CG
09-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by buff4life
Do yalls high school bands actually play music at a halftime show that people know? Our band is Division I rating for the last 6 years, but the music they play is unbelievable. I have been to every game for the last 6 years and I have recognized only one of the songs they play. No one wonder the only people in the stand at halftime are the band parents. Jazz up the music to something upbeat and new, not the old 70s stuff that wasn't even popular then....i'm just ranting

My freshman year we did a show to Fantasia 2000, then soph. year we did Sounds of the 50's (got a division I rating also) then junior year we did a beach boys thing (i think) and senior year was more of beach boys and something else cant really remember) everybody knew our songs but being students we didnt think it was the best choice of music. The Sound of the 50's show as really the only one I enjoyed. The colorguard had cars as props, we got to swing dance and in the background we had about 12 band boosters holding up a huge thing that went from 40 yardline to 40 yardline that was supposed to be a drive in movie screen. It was pretty cool!

Adidas410s
09-07-2007, 09:37 AM
uh oh...how long until HandNtheDirt signs on??? :eek:

pirate4state
09-07-2007, 09:38 AM
I think Sinton did Phantom of the Opera last year.

Adidas410s
09-07-2007, 09:40 AM
I remember Wylie doing Jesus Christ Superstar, James Bond, latin music, and something else...

hmm...age kicking in :thinking:

buff4life
09-07-2007, 09:40 AM
sad thing is...my parents don't even recognize the music and their 50

LH Panther Mom
09-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Our band has done a Disney mix thing (I think :doh: ) and Star Wars the last couple of years.

I expected this kind of thread from marlin fan. ;) GO BANDS!

BobcatBenny
09-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Perhaps Celina has the right idea. Keep the band and drill teams to a minimum so that the fans have more room in the stands.

Ranger Mom
09-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Our band has done a Disney mix thing (I think :doh: ) and Star Wars the last couple of years.

I am kind of wondering why he hasn't piped in yet!!!:eek:

Matthew328
09-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Thats one good thing about inner city football is the bands....

Blastoderm55
09-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I think Sinton did Phantom of the Opera last year.

Oy. Who hasn't done that horrible schwag. :doh:

Blastoderm55
09-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

We had similar shows when I was in high school. My freshman year, we did Sounds of the Silver Screen, with music from Mission: Impossible, Pocahontas, and E.T. Sophomore year, we had a show to the music of Grease. Junior year, we did Wizard of Oz, and as Seniors, we had a Star Wars theme complete with Jedis for drum majors. :D

3afan
09-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Thats one good thing about inner city football is the bands....

some of 'em are OK

AP Panther Fan
09-07-2007, 01:13 PM
I attempted to watch the Drum Corp International competition the other night on ESPN, but fell asleep before it was over. There sure was alot of talent and athleticism by all the schools (colleges) represented.

Several years ago, the former band director from Aransas Pass composed his own halftime show. It was some sort of tribal tribute and was very futuristic (for a lack of better words). It didn't do well at competition and pretty much left halftime fans scratching their heads. I guess my point is that venturing too far from standard music and march can be a bad thing at times too.:)

3afan
09-07-2007, 01:14 PM
what? there are bands at the games! :eek:

AP Panther Fan
09-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

lol...you must get caught in the same restroom/concession stand lines that I do.:eek: :D

Buccaneer
09-07-2007, 01:53 PM
I love the MOB!

PHS Wildcats
09-07-2007, 03:16 PM
some of 'em are OK

I know the schools in Dallas that I've seen. ie. Lincoln, Samuell, Madison, Carter, Kimball are very good.

I remember on yr I think it was 2002 Palestine played Wilmer Hutchins and the band was great. The palestine fans enjoyed it and a week later the PHS Superitendent told Wilmer-Hutchins band was banned from performing at the school. Stupid!!!

neck_06
09-07-2007, 06:59 PM
inner-city houston has some AWESOME bands.....the football isn't that great though. lol

marlin fan
09-07-2007, 11:03 PM
Band is great lol sorry it to me song long but iv been at work!!! most band directors arnt him and all the worrie about is UIL marching contests lol but hey i love the oldies

Cats Fan
09-07-2007, 11:12 PM
some band programs and athletic programs get along great.

Rio Hondo really pumps up the crowd, they always have a really awesome show..really awesome, the crowd always loves it. its what seperates us from alot of the other bands....we do great with the judges and even away crowd games love us (sometimes more than their own)

WEEE for BAND!!!!

yoemenkracker30
09-08-2007, 01:27 AM
I remember when I was in high school, my freshman year our theme was "Hawaii Five-0", soph year was "Planet of the Apes", junior year was "Earth, Wind, & Fire".....then our drumline instructor went off to bigger and better copperas cove, the other assistant went to tennessee, and the band has gone to crap....

Johnny 5
09-08-2007, 01:35 AM
Rio Hondo did

The Mask of Zorro
Pirates of the Carribean
Abram's Pursuit
Pirates of the Carribean 2

This year they are doing The Last Gangster.

They are wanting to do Halo here soon.

maroonpirate04
09-08-2007, 02:19 AM
Sinton Pirate Band always have a great half-time show, every year i'm always looking forward what they have in store but i think last year's was much better than this year in 2006 they did

Atmadja
Ninkou Latora
Reve Rouge
Incantation

And this year they are doing selections from "Fiddler On The Roof" and they are supposed to do a drum feature that showcases the drum line and color guard

wookinpanub
09-08-2007, 11:03 AM

wookinpanub
09-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Perhaps Celina has the right idea. Keep the band and drill teams to a minimum so that the fans have more room in the stands.

Going to a game with no music, school song, drums and relying on a handful of football parents clapping like at a Little League game would make for a very boring game, dude.

Watch a college game with the volume turned off and then talk.

If there are 100 band members and each member attracts both parents and/or siblings to watch versus 25 to 40 players with the same support, which number adds up quicker?

Both football and the bands make games the experience they are.

Ranger Mom
09-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by wookinpanub
Going to a game with no music, school song, drums and relying on a handful of football parents clapping like at a Little League game would make for a very boring game, dude.

Watch a college game with the volume turned off and then talk.

If there are 100 band members and each member attracts both parents and/or siblings to watch versus 25 to 40 players with the same support, which number adds up quicker?

Both football and the bands make games the experience they are.

I rememeber several years ago we were supposed to play Ballinger at Midland's Grande Stadium...a lightning storm came through and they postponed it until the next day. The bands already had something going on that Saturday, as did the cheerleaders.

That was the weirdest, quietest game. First game of the season and it felt more like a scrimmage without the band and cheerleaders.

People can make cracks about the band AND cheerleaders, but they add a lot of ambience to the game, IMO!!!

That being said, we sat near the band last night and my granddaughter was NOT impressed....everytime they started playing, she started crying! We finally had to move to the opposite side of the stands from where the band was sitting, and she fine for the rest of the night!!!

carter08
09-08-2007, 11:24 AM
WC's doing Tim Burton right now.

wookinpanub
09-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I rememeber several years ago we were supposed to play Ballinger at Midland's Grande Stadium...a lightning storm came through and they postponed it until the next day. The bands already had something going on that Saturday, as did the cheerleaders.

That was the weirdest, quietest game. First game of the season and it felt more like a scrimmage without the band and cheerleaders.

People can make cracks about the band AND cheerleaders, but they add a lot of ambience to the game, IMO!!!

That being said, we sat near the band last night and my granddaughter was NOT impressed....everytime they started playing, she started crying! We finally had to move to the opposite side of the stands from where the band was sitting, and she fine for the rest of the night!!!

yea, but try hammering that into the heads of redneck dads who tell their kids only real men play football. Some players sustain lifelong injuries and have developed no talents beyond running sprints. Football is great and entertaining but it lasts a couple of years for most varsity players. Play a musical instrument well enough and you can earn cash at gigs the rest of your life.

The ones who negatively respond to this typically are the ones who are out of school and REGRET not playing an instrument. The key is to keep an open mind, tear a few ligaments on the field, settle in a wheelchair and know that you could still jam on a piano into your golden years.

Ranger Mom
09-08-2007, 11:49 AM
yea, but try hammering that into the heads of redneck dads who tell their kids only real men play football. Some players sustain lifelong injuries and have developed no talents beyond running sprints. Football is great and entertaining but it lasts a couple of years for most varsity players. Play a musical instrument well enough and you can earn cash at gigs the rest of your life.

The ones who negatively respond to this typically are the ones who are out of school and REGRET not playing an instrument. The key is to keep an open mind, tear a few ligaments on the field, settle in a wheelchair and know that you could still jam on a piano into your golden years.

If that is their opinion, so be it. You can't force someone to like the band!! I think the statements you quoted were said, "tongue in cheek" anyway!! And if they weren't, oh well! My oldest son played in the band and football through his freshman year....he quit both the next year. He is now 21 and has no interest in football whatsoever. He DOES ride bulls every weekend and plays his guitar EVERY SINGLE DAY!! In his case, the music stayed with him, the football didn't!

wookinpanub
09-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
In his case, the music stayed with him, the football didn't!

I rest my case

Emerson1
09-08-2007, 12:25 PM
I rest my case

There is a difference between playing the trumbone in a band, and playing the guitar.

wookinpanub
09-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
There is a difference between playing the trumbone in a band, and playing the guitar.

what's your hangups with trombones or playing in the band?

You might find this concept hard to believe, but are a lot more EX-football players than ex-musicians regardless of what instrument they played.

Just accept both for whatever enjoyment they bring to someone's life and quit being so narrow-minded. Maybe everyone doesn't care if you hate band members? Ever think of that?

R3Editor
09-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
True.....one of my sons played tuba for 2 years and no other instrument; the other plays guitar but has never been in "band". The one that plays the guitar will be able to for as long as he wants. The one that played tuba.....how many folks do you know that sit around and play tuba? Don't get me wrong - he did very well, and enjoyed it. We were proud of what he accomplished.

thewyliefan
09-08-2007, 02:07 PM
last year the wylie band did 50 cents candy shop haha, no joke

burnet44
09-08-2007, 02:51 PM
try it the other way around
have the bands play
and then the fb team can play at the half

"70,000 people dont show up to watch a chemistry test" The Program

wookinpanub
09-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
try it the other way around
have the bands play
and then the fb team can play at the half

yea, I'm sure whey you were in school, it was all about you

BILLYFRED0000
09-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Well I did both in HS lettered in two varsity sports and band. I was thinking that bands are generally bigger than football teams at least where I was. 1a school with 30 ball players and 70 in the band. Then ACU with i don't know 60 players and 300 in the Big Purple. Man we could cover the field at halftime.

pooch
09-09-2007, 01:58 PM
the band from my HS is still playing the same ol' stuff from 20 years ago....

mistanice
09-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Dibolls band plays Trick Daddy - Shut up.

Phantom Stang
09-09-2007, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by burnet44

Maybe they would show upf they knew there would be a band in the stands, and they could scream their heads off in support of their favorite nerd.:p

wookinpanub
09-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Maybe they would show upf they knew there would be a band in the stands, and they could scream their heads off in support of their favorite nerd.:p

jealous