PDA

View Full Version : Weird Punishment: Wisconsin RB only to play at home...

g$$
09-07-2007, 07:33 AM
RB Lance Smith will NOT be allowed to play road games this year as he is facing battery charges. He will miss this week's UNLV game + 4 Big 10 games, Wisconsin officials announced.

Weird to me: you can play at home but not on the road. Sends a strange message. Either suspend him from team or let him play. Are they worried about fan harrassment?

injuredinmelee
09-07-2007, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by g$$
RB Lance Smith will NOT be allowed to play road games this year as he is facing battery charges. He will miss this week's UNLV game + 4 Big 10 games, Wisconsin officials announced.

Weird to me: you can play at home but not on the road. Sends a strange message. Either suspend him from team or let him play. Are they worried about fan harrassment?

i would think that maybe the DA's office isnt allowing him to travel?

Ranger Mom
09-07-2007, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee

I know a few years back we had a football player get in trouble and get put on probation. In the terms of his probation, he couldn't leave Midland County.

He had to get permission for every out of town game, and the only reason he even got to go then was because he had almost fulfilled his year of probation by the time football season started and hadn't gotten into any trouble!!

g$$
09-07-2007, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee

Quite possible I guess, but why couldn't he travel as part of his "job" with supervision. I honestly don't know. Heck, Bears' Tank Johnson traveled & played in the Super Bowl with permission. I don't know, but weird to me. Never heard of this at the college or pro level.

BMOC
09-07-2007, 10:13 AM
Does seem strange. You would think that the DA would allow some exceptions to his travel; and it does seem like a strange punishment if it was coming from the school. With the high value of WINS placed on College Football today, you would thing that they (WU) would find a way for him to travel. :confused: