PDA

View Full Version : Mansfiled Summit player, 15, dies

Adidas410s
09-07-2007, 07:03 AM
JV football player, 15, dies

Mansfield Summit athlete collapsed during game

A junior varsity football player at Mansfield's Summit High School died Thursday night after collapsing during a game.

Mansfield school spokesman Terry Morawski identified the player as 15-year-old sophomore Dozie Njeako.

Witnesses said Dozie collapsed while jogging to the Summit sideline following a play early in the third quarter against South Grand Prairie.

Athletic trainers from Summit and South Grand Prairie administered CPR in an effort to revive Dozie. Paramedics continued CPR as they transported him to Methodist Mansfield Medical Center, where he died.

Summit and South Grand Prairie officials will meet this morning to determine the status of tonight's varsity game.

http://www.hsgametime.com/dfw/sharedcontent/dws/content/topstories/stories/090707dnspohsplayerdeath.3bce427.html

IHStangFan
09-07-2007, 07:14 AM
Man I hate to read stories like this. Prayers to his friends and family. It seems that I read more and more stories like this each year. I am certain kids still have to have a physical to participate in sports. If it were something like a heart murmur or something similar, wouldn't a proper physical catch such things? I just don't understand. Sad Sad. :(

zebrablue2
09-07-2007, 07:47 AM
prayers out to the family and friends of this young man. so sad.

Txbroadcaster
09-07-2007, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Man I hate to read stories like this. Prayers to his friends and family. It seems that I read more and more stories like this each year. I am certain kids still have to have a physical to participate in sports. If it were something like a heart murmur or something similar, wouldn't a proper physical catch such things? I just don't understand. Sad Sad. :(

My wife (BuffyMars) had to get testing done for some irregular heart beats and the doctor told her they pretty much have to get lucky and have the problem show up when they are testing...She had to wear a monitor for 24 hours...So unless they knew he had a problem and had him tested AND during the time he was tested it showed up then nothing can truly be done.

IHStangFan
09-07-2007, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
My wife (BuffyMars) had to get testing done for some irregular heart beats and the doctor told her they pretty much have to get lucky and have the problem show up when they are testing...She had to wear a monitor for 24 hours...So unless they knew he had a problem and had him tested AND during the time he was tested it showed up then nothing can truly be done. ah gotcha....either way....this kinda stuff is never good

rhino1877
09-07-2007, 09:24 AM
That is sad. I hate to see a young man's life cut sooo short.

g$$
09-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Sad deal & prayers go out to him, his family, & entire community.

Keep us posted if anyone hears actual cause of death please.

buff4life
09-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Prayers to the entire town...

olddawggreen
09-07-2007, 11:02 AM
My prayer's to the family and community. This is truly sad.

I was at my son's game in Mansfield at another stadium last night. The weather was pleasant, with a nice breeze. Not hot at all. I was thinking what a nice night it was for a football game. This is one of those things that is hard to understand.

Phil C
09-07-2007, 11:13 AM
This is terrible news. Prayers for all concerned.

AP Panther Fan
09-07-2007, 11:29 AM
:(

Very sad. I was glad our school purchased a heart defibrillator to keep on hand in the event of an emergency, not that it will guarantee the desired outcome, but hopefully it increases the chances of survival.

Matthew328
09-07-2007, 12:56 PM
The Mansfield Summit-South Grand Prairie game has been rescheduled for Saturday 1pm at the Gopher-Warrior Bowl