Nolan Nunez, Port Isabel - 87 yds rushing (1 for 67 yd TD), 90 yd KO return

Niko Salinas, Pleasanton - 238 yds passing, 1 TD, 31 yds rushing, 2 TD's

Shedrick Howard, West Oso - 14 carries, 151 yds, 3 TD's

LH Panther Mom
09-07-2007, 10:54 AM
bump

big daddy russ
09-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Another thing to look at is who all these guys played.

Pleasanton (Salinas) beat Devine (29-3A playoff team in 2006) 49-19

Cuero (Arndt) beat Sinton (30-3A playoff team in 2006) 53-0

West Oso (Howard) beat Falfurrias 33-0 (Neither team made the playoffs)

Port Isabel (Nunez) lost to 2006 4A playoff team Edcouch-Elsa, 41-33

footballgal
09-07-2007, 02:17 PM
Rollin' Nolan
http://epaper.valleystar.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=VMS/2007/09/06/13/Img/Pc01310S.jpg

Sep 5, 2007 10:26 pm

By PAUL CONATZER
paulc@valleystar.com
956-430-6286

PORT ISABEL — Monty Stumbaugh noticed Nolan Nuñez this summer.
The Port Isabel head coach noticed the senior running back was putting in extra work. He was spending time in the weight room and doing plenty of running. “He was working hard,” Stumbaugh said of Nuñez. “He’s ready to have a good senior season.” Despite suffering from hamstring problems as a junior, Nuñez still finished with 745 yards rushing and seven touchdowns. He wants to better that number this season. “My goal is to rush for 1,200 yards, but as long as we get a win, it doesn’t really matter,” he said.

Nuñez rushed for 90 yards and two touchdowns on 11 carries against Edcouch-Elsa last week in the Tarpons’ 41-33 season-opening loss to the Yellowjackets last week. Nunez suffered a knock on his knee against E-E and missed the fourth quarter, but will be fine for Friday night’s game. “It looked a lot worse on film than it was,” said Stumbaugh.

Friday’s night opponents — Raymondville will provide a different kind of challenge for Nuñez and the Tarpons’ offense. “They’re very fast,” Nuñez said. “They’re a lot quicker than Edcouch-Elsa.” The Tarpons will meet the Bearkats at 7:30 p.m. on Friday at Burnett Stadium in Raymondville in the Valley Morning Star’s Game of the Week for Week 1.

Like any Tarpon tailback, Nuñez knows the history of the guys who tote the ball for the Tarpons.
Travis Sanders, who rushed for 2,000 yards; Marky Villarreal, who became the first Valley running back to go over the 400-yard mark for a single game; Misael “The Missile” Iracheta, Jimmy Gonzales, and Johnny Nieto to name just a handful are all part of the PI running back lore. “I feel proud to be a running back for the Tarpons,” said Nuñez, (5-7, 165 pounds) “Everybody knows what we are going to do. We’re going to run the ball.”

The Tarpons did a pretty good job of it against E-E last week as they picked 183 yards on the ground. They also threw the ball for 123 yards.
“Our offense is pretty solid,” Nuñez said. “Our offensive line is quick, and it has some good size. They really help me pick up yards.”
Stumbaugh said the Tarpons offensive line (Ryan Garcia (center); Alex Betancourt and Josue Medina (guards); tackles Jonathan Bodden and Danny Cisneros and tight end Derick Schrank) is starting to mature.
“Our offensive line is getting better week-by-week,” Stumbaugh said. “We were better against E-E than we were in our second scrimmage and better in our second scrimmage than we were in our first scrimmage.”

Stumbaugh said Nuñez has earned the right to be a leader this season. “With what he (Nuñez) has done this summer, he’s got the right to talk to the team and expect them to work hard too,” Stumbaugh said. “I tell the seniors that they can go out with a bang or go out with a whimper.”
As a senior, Nuñez knows this is likely to be his last shot at football. “I’m taking this season a lot more seriously,” he said. “I want it to be worthwhile.”

EJ
http://www.rgvsports.com/articles/nunez_401___article.xml/stumbaugh_week.html

Bull Butter
09-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Not to take anything away from what the other two athletes accomplished, but Nunez and Salinas faced much tougher competition.

Thanks for bringing that point up, Russ

footballgal
09-07-2007, 02:32 PM
Plus Nolan only played 3 QTRS.

But if not this week - The weeks to come for sure we'll see his nomination again.