PDA

View Full Version : Cuero / Houston Stafford

CueroDad2006
09-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Anyone care to pick this one?

Gobbler Fan
09-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Well since *********** is picking Cuero by 44point's .Im going with Cuero by 21 I admit I don't know anything about Houston Stafford .

gobbler grad
09-05-2007, 08:38 PM
not another game like last week...:(

3afan
09-05-2007, 08:57 PM
never heard of Houston Stafford !!! ;)

burnet44
09-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
not another game like last week...:(

could be
Now everyone
this is Stafford
NOT Houston Stratford which is 5A
or Stratford 2A in the panhandle

Its a small locked dist
between SugarLand and Missouri City
played them when I was at Van Vleck

another Sinton game for Cuero

gobbler grad
09-05-2007, 09:15 PM
years ago it was Stafford-Dulles and somehow they separated...not really sure...someone from that area may know...:thinking:

3afan
09-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
...this is Stafford

i knew that, of course

44INAROW
09-05-2007, 09:30 PM
by the way - the new Gobbler website is going to hopefully be up and running by this coming Friday....... if not this week - next week for sure (that's what I was told tonight) www.gobblersports.com and the webmaster is working feverishly to get the radio link going for this week as well........ the station is 100.9 out of Victoria

Old Green
09-05-2007, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
by the way - the new Gobbler website is going to hopefully be up and running by this coming Friday....... if not this week - next week for sure (that's what I was told tonight) www.gobblersports.com and the webmaster is working feverishly to get the radio link going for this week as well........ the station is 100.9 out of Victoria I can't wait till it's up:thumbsup: :wave:

gobbler grad
09-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
I can't wait till it's up:thumbsup: :wave:

me neither...:crazy1:

44INAROW
09-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Old Green
Administrator

Wow - Old Green, your name looks so "official" in Green :)

hutex04
09-05-2007, 11:03 PM
cuero 38
houston team 27

BILLYFRED0000
09-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by hutex04
cuero 38
houston team 27

I don't think it will be that close.......:rolleyes:

Highschoolfan78
09-05-2007, 11:47 PM
what was the score last year? I remember walking in that game from the field house side of Gobbler Stadium when the Stafford team was entering. Of course one of them said the cliche "Let's eat turkey tonight!" I think it was a blowout by halftime if its the one I'm thinking of...

g$$
09-06-2007, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
years ago it was Stafford-Dulles and somehow they separated...not really sure...someone from that area may know...:thinking:

Dulles 5A - Ft. Bend County has 9 & soon to be 10 (Travis HS) team district w/ Willowridge, Elkins, Clements, Kempner, etc. (Dulles was 1st school back in the day) = very tough district w/ lots of talent; Thurman Thomas & TJ Ford played at Willowridge among others

Stafford 3A - won a 3A basketball title years ago, struggling program but has had moments in basketball

Cuero = name the score
Stafford 0

g$$
09-06-2007, 03:15 AM
could be
Now everyone
this is Stafford

Its a small locked dist
between SugarLand and Missouri City
played them when I was at Van Vleck

another Sinton game for Cuero

Did you coach at VV back in the heyday of Bill McGonigle? Lots of athletes back then, I know that full well from playing at Sweeny. Way different town now. Martin bros, Blackmons, Polk, Bonners, Brinkley, etc. Put a bunch into the NFL too!

KingRob
09-06-2007, 05:05 AM
I think the Gobblers will take this one.

Survey Says:

Cuero - 40
Stafford - 0

LET'S GO CUERO!!

18handicap
09-06-2007, 06:24 AM
I went to Dulles when Stafford was still a part of Fort Bend ISD. Here's a little history:

Back in the mid 70's, FBISD used to bus all students to school who lived up to 1/2 mile from the school. The state only reimburses ISDs for up to 2 miles, so FBISD made a decision to start busing students only if they lived more than 2 miles from their school. I remember when they painted a mark at the other end of our street designating the 2 mile mark from JH and Elementary school (We were about 5 houses from the mark.). The city of Stafford was incensed about it because there were some dangerous areas the students had to walk to school (busy roads with no sidewalks.) So the city of Stafford filed a federal lawsuit to try to get FBISD to bus the kids closer than 2 miles to school, or they could break away and form their own school district.

During this time was when FBISD was just starting to get into high gear with growth. With the lawsuit in federal court, FBISD had its bond money for building new schools tied up or frozen until the lawsuit was settled. That is why Dulles got so large in the late 70's and early 80's. Governor Clements was able to get a law passed in the legislature that enabled FBISD to use that bond money to continue to build schools and then I believe FBISD and the city of Stafford settled and Stafford then broke away and made its own "Municipal" school district.

When I was a freshman at Dulles in 1977, we had almost 1300 freshmen students there. We took up both the current high school and middle school campuses. It was huge and we had 10 minutes to change classes and we needed every minute of it. When Willowridge opened in 1979, it was such a big deal (the yearbooks call it the "Big Split") because that had never happened before. Willowridge's 1st senior class was the same year as my senior class (1981) and we still had right at 1000 grads and they probably had around 400-500. The 3rd high school was named after Clements because he pushed the law through that enabled FBISD to restart building schools again.

At that time, Dulles HS was in Stafford, but a couple of years later, Stafford traded that land with Sugar Land, so that Dulles would not be in Stafford anymore. Hence the name "Stafford Dulles" back then.

JT44
09-06-2007, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by g$$

Stafford 3A - won a 3A basketball title years ago, struggling program but has had moments in basketball

Cuero = name the score
Stafford 0

Definitely a good basketball program over the last few years, they demolished Cuero two years ago in a bi-district playoff.

I believe Cuero put up 40 before halftime last year, expect more of the same, another spread team that may turn into a lot of posessions for the Gobblers.

Old Green
09-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by 18handicap
I went to Dulles when Stafford was still a part of Fort Bend ISD. Here's a little history:

Back in the mid 70's, FBISD used to bus all students to school who lived up to 1/2 mile from the school. The state only reimburses ISDs for up to 2 miles, so FBISD made a decision to start busing students only if they lived more than 2 miles from their school. I remember when they painted a mark at the other end of our street designating the 2 mile mark from JH and Elementary school (We were about 5 houses from the mark.). The city of Stafford was incensed about it because there were some dangerous areas the students had to walk to school (busy roads with no sidewalks.) So the city of Stafford filed a federal lawsuit to try to get FBISD to bus the kids closer than 2 miles to school, or they could break away and form their own school district.

During this time was when FBISD was just starting to get into high gear with growth. With the lawsuit in federal court, FBISD had its bond money for building new schools tied up or frozen until the lawsuit was settled. That is why Dulles got so large in the late 70's and early 80's. Governor Clements was able to get a law passed in the legislature that enabled FBISD to use that bond money to continue to build schools and then I believe FBISD and the city of Stafford settled and Stafford then broke away and made its own "Municipal" school district.

When I was a freshman at Dulles in 1977, we had almost 1300 freshmen students there. We took up both the current high school and middle school campuses. It was huge and we had 10 minutes to change classes and we needed every minute of it. When Willowridge opened in 1979, it was such a big deal (the yearbooks call it the "Big Split") because that had never happened before. Willowridge's 1st senior class was the same year as my senior class (1981) and we still had right at 1000 grads and they probably had around 400-500. The 3rd high school was named after Clements because he pushed the law through that enabled FBISD to restart building schools again.

At that time, Dulles HS was in Stafford, but a couple of years later, Stafford traded that land with Sugar Land, so that Dulles would not be in Stafford anymore. Hence the name "Stafford Dulles" back then. I remember that now. Thanks for the history 18handicap.

JT44
09-06-2007, 09:49 AM
I don't remember last years varsity score, but it was a thumping.
The JV score was 52-10.

For most teams, the JV results/players from the year before are not too relevant, but for these Gobblers it is, since their are so few letterman and our QB is a soph, who was on the fresh. team.

Yes ,the competition is different, but it shows their ability as a team.

VanKampen
09-06-2007, 09:58 AM
all you cuero fans can thank pavillion 2/highschoolname_position#/whatever else you can think of -- for training tyler arndt to be the qb he is today

burnet44
09-06-2007, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Did you coach at VV back in the heyday of Bill McGonigle? Lots of athletes back then, I know that full well from playing at Sweeny. Way different town now. Martin bros, Blackmons, Polk, Bonners, Brinkley, etc. Put a bunch into the NFL too!

yes

burnet44
09-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Bill had gone to be the principal
yeah we had some athletes
Blackmon played for the Seahawks and others? I think
Had some Bonners but not the best ones lol
Played Schulenburg in the first round lost by 6?
but lead at the half
The Burg went on to win it
we did ok
but not like the 3-4 year run and the finals vs Cuero
I had some great track teams there
Us Brazos Sweeny Tidehaven has some killer meets
Reg meet at Wimberly was the year the snow blew in

Refugio 100 with Toya Jones
Tidehaven 80
VV 78
Brazos 65

pretty studly
David Durham is a great guy

gato 76
09-06-2007, 10:57 AM
but lead at the half
we did ok

Tidehaven 80
VV 78
Brazos 65

pretty studly

Was there a coach there by the name of prexie garcia?

burnet44
09-06-2007, 10:59 AM
yeah baseball
along with Joe Bill

I tbhink prexie went south?

gato 76
09-06-2007, 11:32 AM
yeah baseball
along with Joe Bill

I tbhink prexie went south?

Prexie is a ex bay city blackcat like me,he played for spano and i played for mills.I know him very well he is my brother in law brother.As far as the other guys joe,bill are you talking about coach burnell?

bobcat04
09-06-2007, 12:54 PM
Stafford will have some good skill players but no lineman. They have been unable to capture that basketball glory on the football team. Look for Cuero to score at will but don't be surprised if Stafford gets a couple also. Cuero 55 Stafford 13.

AP Panther Fan
09-06-2007, 01:04 PM
Old Green
Administrator

Wow - Old Green, your name looks so "official" in Green :)

Sure does...what an appropriate color!:D

Congratulations Old Green!

I will pick Cuero (by a bunch) in this one.

burnet44
09-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Sure does...what an appropriate color!:D

Congratulations Old Green!

suck up lol jk

AP Panther Fan
09-06-2007, 01:19 PM
suck up lol jk

another subliminal message to Old Green...do not ROM AP Panther Fan...she is your friend... :D

Old Green
09-06-2007, 02:11 PM
another subliminal message to Old Green...do not ROM AP Panther Fan...she is your friend... :D :wave: ;)

44INAROW
09-06-2007, 02:24 PM
another subliminal message to Old Green...do not ROM AP Panther Fan...she is your friend... :D

we'll have to call him next time we meet at Sonic - talk him into buying this time :D :D

Old Green
09-06-2007, 02:31 PM
we'll have to call him next time we meet at Sonic - talk him into buying this time :D :D It would be a pleasure to buy ya'll lunch.:thumbsup:

IHStangFan
09-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Stafford is not known for their football prowess but I'd like to see Cuero schedule Stafford come basketball season...then the tables would be turned :D

Cuero 45
Stafford 0
(football)

Old Green
09-06-2007, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Stafford is not known for their football prowess but I'd like to see Cuero schedule Stafford come basketball season...then the tables would be turned :D

Cuero 45
Stafford 0
(football) True. Cuero hasn't been a basketball power since the 70's.

Staffords suppose to have a D1 lineman I read somewhere.

IHStangFan
09-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
True. Cuero hasn't been a basketball power since the 70's.

Staffords suppose to have a D1 lineman I read somewhere. hmmm...I'm really not too sure. I'm sure they have an athlete or two, but pretty sure thats about all they have...but I'd be expecting a little more fight than yall got out of Sinton last week though.

Old Green
09-06-2007, 02:57 PM
hmmm...I'm really not too sure. I'm sure they have an athlete or two, but pretty sure thats about all they have...but I'd be expecting a little more fight than yall got out of Sinton last week though. They had a lot of speed last year so, they should be pretty fast again with some size.

AP Panther Fan
09-06-2007, 03:16 PM
we'll have to call him next time we meet at Sonic - talk him into buying this time :D :D

hahaha...I see he thinks we eat lunch instead of going straight for the dessert...I guess we could try real food next time too.:D

Oh and btw, I had lunch at Los Comales last Saturday...pretty darn good!

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled "football talk".... ;)

44INAROW
09-06-2007, 03:33 PM
hahaha...I see he thinks we eat lunch instead of going straight for the dessert...I guess we could try real food next time too.:D

Oh and btw, I had lunch at Los Comales last Saturday...pretty darn good!

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled "football talk".... ;)

dayum - Los Comales is worth hijacking a thread...... I love that place ;)

IHStangFan
09-06-2007, 03:35 PM
dayum - Los Comales is worth hijacking a thread...... I love that place ;) Is that the place on the right as you're heading outa town towards Gonzales/Yoakum?

44INAROW
09-06-2007, 03:36 PM
Is that the place on the right as you're heading outa town towards Gonzales/Yoakum?
you're thinking of Don Bravo in Cuero............ Los Comales is in Rockport......... ;)

IHStangFan
09-06-2007, 03:40 PM
you're thinking of Don Bravo in Cuero............ Los Comales is in Rockport......... ;) OH...okay....yup...that's the place. Don Bravo is awesome! My uncle and I frequent that place when I'm in that area.

fireman1
09-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Cuero should win this game easy but I dont think it will be a shutout I'll say Cuero 49 Stafford 14

JT44
09-06-2007, 06:48 PM

Cuero 45
Stafford 0
(football)

This year Cuero would definitely give Stafford a run for their money in b-ball.

Antec
09-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Not to be technical but its just Stafford

They are a municipal school district

formed aroun d 1983-84 breaking aways from the Fort Bend ISD

their distirct boundaries are very small in Stafford only

Started out as 2A and moved to 3A a while back

Doubt they will ever grow since there is no room for growth

I think they only made the playoffs once when Dennis Gorka was the coach

Antec
09-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Also this school was one of Mike Treybig's first job as an assistant

Have known him since 1985

18handicap
09-06-2007, 08:49 PM
I looked and they had 881 students last October 31 according to TEA website. Not growing a lot, but enough to be a large AAA. See the history I put up earlier in the post.

Bull19
09-06-2007, 09:01 PM
cuero by 45

gobbler grad
09-06-2007, 09:54 PM
With Freshman and JV winning fairly easy, don't see why we don't put up at least 40 points tomorrow night...good luck Gobblers...:clap: I'll be listening to Joe and Grandpa tomorrow night...:thumbsup: since i'm working late these days...:(

GO MEAN GREEN...GO MEAN GREEN...GO MEAN GREEN

g$$
09-07-2007, 07:58 AM
but lead at the half
we did ok

Tidehaven 80
VV 78
Brazos 65

pretty studly

You missed the best days then - forgot to mention George "Big Woo" Woodard too. Gosh they had some athletes. Robert Blackmon, Melvin & Rodney Bonner, Eric Martin, etc. all played in the NFL. Times & demographics have changed in VV. Not the Leopards of crazy option days!

g$$
09-07-2007, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Antec
Not to be technical but its just Stafford

They are a municipal school district

formed aroun d 1983-84 breaking aways from the Fort Bend ISD

their distirct boundaries are very small in Stafford only

Started out as 2A and moved to 3A a while back

Doubt they will ever grow since there is no room for growth

I think they only made the playoffs once when Dennis Gorka was the coach

Gorka's son Bryan played at OU (LB). Stafford was decent then too. Everyone thinks of Stafford as a Homecoming Game pretty much around here now. Fort Bend has grown all around them but they are locked.

And yes, T-Big coached there along the way. In fact, DC when I was in hs at Sweeny I believe.

IHStangFan
09-07-2007, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by JT44
This year Cuero would definitely give Stafford a run for their money in b-ball. hopefully we'll get to see!

burnet44
09-07-2007, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by g$$
You missed the best days then - forgot to mention George "Big Woo" Woodard too. Gosh they had some athletes. Robert Blackmon, Melvin & Rodney Bonner, Eric Martin, etc. all played in the NFL. Times & demographics have changed in VV. Not the Leopards of crazy option days!

I called basketball games with big George
great guy
always smiling

g$$
09-07-2007, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by g$$

FYI: Eric Martin had a big golf tourney years ago & brought in Michael Jordan to play in it at "Rio Colorado" in Bay City. Jordan flew into the small airstrip over there. It was big news. Martin played WR for the Saints for years. VV had some players once upon a time. Of course, from Bay City to Freeport corridor you could field a pretty good all-time team (Bay City, VV, Sweeny, WC, Bport, Bwood, Angleton, etc.). Lots of pros & D1 studs grew up along that stretch of road, then & now.

burnet44
09-07-2007, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Antec
Also this school was one of Mike Treybig's first job as an assistant

Have known him since 1985

yeah Mike had a good 800m kid whike he was there before he moved on to VV then VI

Mikes a great guy
we had a lot of fun playing aginst each other

I hope he makes the playoffs this year

g$$
09-07-2007, 08:32 AM
I called basketball games with big George
great guy
always smiling

Gosh he has gotten so BIG. I saw him calling some softball a couple of years ago. Injuries & weight cut short a great career. Biggest legs I have ever seen - Earl Campbell included & I stood next to Earl in the UT locker room as a kid (thanks Ken Dabbs!). Good guy, agreed.