PDA

View Full Version : TCU vs. Texasv (merged)

I Bleed Red08
09-04-2007, 07:49 PM
I know this is college football but I wanted to see what everyone thought on this match up.

Daddy D 11
09-04-2007, 07:53 PM
texas by 9

..if the Colt McCoy of last year shows up, if not...

then hello 3, possibly 4 loss season :(

I Bleed Red08
09-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
texas by 9

..if the Colt McCoy of last year shows up, if not...

then hello 3, possibly 4 loss season :(
I think if they play like they did against Arkansas State TCU has a very good chance because this will be one of TCU's better years in football I believe.

WTF-82
09-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Colt McCoy always shows up its the defense and offensive line that better show up. I dont think Texas is good enough to win
this one the advantage is they are at home but I will still go with TCU in a uppsett by 6 or less.

g$$
09-04-2007, 08:19 PM
TCU pulls the upset IF Tommy Blake plays this week. He's a difference-making All American if he can overcome the medical issues (not physical) & get back on the field. TCU plays great defense & will score enough to win. They have a chip on their shoulder every week & fly around the field per Patterson's orders. Fran hasn't been the same since Patterson left his staff.

Expect a slugfest:

TCU 17
Texas 13

TCU just might run the table if they get by this game...a la Utah a few years back (or Boise St.) & go to a BCS Bowl.

buff4life
09-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by I Bleed Red08
I think if they play like they did against Arkansas State TCU has a very good chance because this will be one of TCU's better years in football I believe.

i think the Arkansas State game was a BIG wake up call and i expect them to come out this week fired up and looking like a top 5 team...

g$$
09-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
i think the Arkansas State game was a BIG wake up call and i expect them to come out this week fired up and looking like a top 5 team...

I just don't know how a "wake-up" call can fix major issues on the offensive line, LBs esp. Derry, secondary, & being physical in the running game. Guess we'll just have to see. I think TCU is better than most people out there realize, & they are hungry.

KTA
09-04-2007, 08:49 PM
I think so to, I think they came in a lil TOO over confident, and didnt show enough trying to be conservative for this game.

frogbacker09
09-04-2007, 10:06 PM
if blake plays they have a chance

Cameron Crazy
09-04-2007, 10:22 PM
TCU has one of the best defenses out there. I just hope texas plays better this time than against AKS

Old Tiger
09-04-2007, 10:23 PM
24-14 Texas

zebrablue2
09-04-2007, 11:15 PM
texas wins at home by 10.

IHStangFan
09-04-2007, 11:29 PM
I'll take TCU by 10

Fal44
09-05-2007, 12:25 AM
Texas by 6

Texas 20
TCU 14

TexanAlum_06
09-05-2007, 12:27 AM
There are some major things to be sorted out like G$$ said. but even overlooking all of that I still say we just werent motivated for that game and I hope we will be for this one. If we play with no emotion like last week then TCU will take this one without a problem. If we play like we should be playing and what we are capable of playing then I will say we will win this one 28-17.

g$$
09-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06
There are some major things to be sorted out like G$$ said. but even overlooking all of that I still say we just werent motivated for that game and I hope we will be for this one. If we play with no emotion like last week then TCU will take this one without a problem. If we play like we should be playing and what we are capable of playing then I will say we will win this one 28-17.

Good post, but I have always believed that emotion only takes you so far in sports (too much can work against you too). No doubt emotions play into a football game, but after the game settles in the better team should win & impose their will. The team with more talent, the team that is fundamentally sound, the team who avoids mistakes, the team that executes, etc. What I am saying is lots of people are blaming the Texas game last week on lack of emotion or motivation. How in the world could Texas have been flat for their 1st game, at night, at home, highly ranked again, etc.? That makes no sense - maybe they just did not perform well OR maybe they are just not that good this year? Those questions will be answered over time.

I just hate the built-in excuse of "we were flat" or "we played with no emotion" or "we were not motivated". Whose fault is that if even true? Mack/staff/players/all? Texas even knew what had happened to Michigan earlier in the day. These guys work year-round to play 12+ football games. I don't buy that, respectfully. It's a cop-out to me.

(& I mean that for any school too, not just Texas or its fans)

g$$
09-05-2007, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by buff4life

That Arkansas State team you reference got destroyed by SMU last year to the tune of 55-9. Yes, that SMU program (lost last week to Tech 49-9), not vaunted SMU pre-Death Penalty with Dickerson/James/Ball, etc. I guess that one year later, Ark State was so much more talented & experienced to give the Horns a game & almost win. I don't buy wake-up calls to get a team's attention in the season's 1st game at home in front of 84K people. Texas has some major question marks.

Hurry up Saturday! Answers are coming soon.

IHStangFan
09-05-2007, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by g$$
That Arkansas State team you reference got destroyed by SMU last year to the tune of 55-9. Yes, that SMU program (lost last week to Tech 49-9), not vaunted SMU pre-Death Penalty with Dickerson/James/Ball, etc. I guess that one year later, Ark State was so much more talented & experienced to give the Horns a game & almost win. I don't buy wake-up calls to get a team's attention in the season's 1st game at home in front of 84K people. Texas has some major question marks.

Hurry up Saturday! Answers are coming soon. exactly. this wakeup call stuff and "come out looking like a top 5 team"?? The only problem there is....THEY'RE NOT A TOP 5 TEAM THIS YEAR! I have a feeling that the only people that are going to get a wakeup call on Sat. are UT's fans.

g$$
09-05-2007, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
exactly. this wakeup call stuff and "come out looking like a top 5 team"?? The only problem there is....THEY'RE NOT A TOP 5 TEAM THIS YEAR! I have a feeling that the only people that are going to get a wakeup call on Sat. are UT's fans.

Whoa...can't argue with what he said though.

Does VY have eligibility left? Mark my words: if Texas struggles again Sat., Horn fans in general will be calling for these things to happen:

1) John Chiles to replace Colt at qb (forget about 29 tds/7 picks last year already, he has athleticism like VY)
2) OC Greg Davis' head / new offensive scheme (no zone read)
3) Play the young kids (experience is overrated)
4) Upset at new co-DCs Akina & McDuff / need change there too
5) Major Applewhite to replace Mack in the near future (never mind new extension, 10 wins per year, & NC in 2005)

You have a GREAT program Horns. If it was easy everyone would win big every year. It happens to the best.

(don't blame you for #2 though - please keep him!)

injuredinmelee
09-05-2007, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by g$$

Does VY have eligibility left? Mark my words: if Texas struggles again Sat., Horn fans in general will be calling for these things to happen:

1) John Chiles to replace Colt at qb (forget about 29 tds/7 picks last year already, he has athleticism like VY)
5) Major Applewhite to replace Mack in the near future (never mind new extension, 10 wins per year, & NC in 2005)

You have a GREAT program Horns. If it was easy everyone would win big every year. It happens to the best.

I can not begin to tell you how much i hate the zone read offense. Sure it worked well when you have the threat of VY takign it to the house as well as your rb's, but we all know Colt isnt going to outrun many defenders. Greg Davis should have been canned 4 yrs ago.

g$$
09-05-2007, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I can not begin to tell you how much i hate the zone read offense. Sure it worked well when you have the threat of VY takign it to the house as well as your rb's, but we all know Colt isnt going to outrun many defenders. Greg Davis should have been canned 4 yrs ago.

Like any offense, it's only as good as your personnel. VY is long gone. Texas would be best suited to run a pro-set offense & line J. Charles up in the I w/a true fullback (& some split backs too). I hate lateral running games. Davis refuses to change, so far. Heat may get turned up soon.

Zone read is modern day triple option if you think about it. I don't mind it as a change of pace, but not your base set.

IHStangFan
09-05-2007, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by g$$

Does VY have eligibility left? Mark my words: if Texas struggles again Sat., Horn fans will be calling for these things to happen:

You have a GREAT program Horns. If it was easy everyone would win big every year. It happens to the best. right right. It happens from time to time....ask USC later this year...I think the same thing is going to happen there...maybe not...but I think so. I think there are a couple of teams in the PAC 10 that are either going to scare them pretty bad, or flat out beat them...i.e. Oregon, Cal, and maybe even AZ State. We'll see how it plays out. Also...ask Mich. Some years you're just not what you're cracked up to be...and this year early on that seems to be the theme of the top 25. Mich. goes down to App. State, Texas nearly gets it from Ark. State, FSU gets it, ND gets absolutely hammered, VT almost goes down, etc. etc. 1. Pre-season polls are nothing more than a half educated guess. 2. Fans put too much stock into early polls (especially when they see their team ranked up top).

g$$
09-05-2007, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
right right. It happens from time to time....ask USC later this year...I think the same thing is going to happen there...maybe not...but I think so. I think there are a couple of teams in the PAC 10 that are either going to scare them pretty bad, or flat out beat them...i.e. Oregon, Cal, and maybe even AZ State. We'll see how it plays out. Also...ask Mich. Some years you're just not what you're cracked up to be...and this year early on that seems to be the theme of the top 25. Mich. goes down to App. State, Texas nearly gets it from Ark. State, FSU gets it, ND gets absolutely hammered, VT almost goes down, etc. etc. 1. Pre-season polls are nothing more than a half educated guess. 2. Fans put too much stock into early polls (especially when they see their team ranked up top).

Agreed on all accounts. USC is playing in good Pac 10 this year, & I like Cal to win it. FSU should never have been ranked - all in their name, same with ND.

A&M has issues to resolve too, plus a brutal road schedule. I put zero stock in preseason rankings. All they do is sell magazines & hype the season. Play the games!

jrhernandez7
09-05-2007, 08:01 AM
Like mack said that the arkansas state game was the best thing to ever happen to texas.....now instead of being seen as the favorite they can rally around being the underdog wich fits this group alot better......They did not get physicaly dominated if that was the case then you could right off texas it was all mental mistakes wich having one of the elite coaching staffs in the country will fix. D-fense was dominate and no matter who they play they will give them a chance and offense has to many wepons not to come around. Texas quites the doubters

Texas 34
TCU 17

kof96
09-05-2007, 08:03 AM
Texas will loose to TCU and OU this year.

buff4ever
09-05-2007, 08:09 AM
I will state the obvious. I expect this game to be a lot better than it should be.

wedo
09-05-2007, 09:18 AM
I think that a team makes it most improvements from the first game to the second game. Im going with texas in a low scoring game!! Texas has recruited better and i do believe that they have better athletes. With that said I don't thaink TCU can score enough to win. Texas 13 TCU 10.

Although I do think that Texas has a lot of improving to do before they can contend for a national championship. They need to just take one game at a time .

KTJ
09-05-2007, 11:43 AM
First of all, don't lump all of UT's fanbase in one catagory. What you read on this board and what you read on other BBS is totally different. That's like lumping A&M fans all in the same catagory of "we're so much better than X, Y, and Z university but we don't get respect." You can't do that.

With that said, the majority of Texas fans know that this, right now, is not a Top 5 team. I'd say somewhere between 8-12. (give or take a few depending on what happens this weekend.)

And yes, I do want Greg Davis gone. Our schemes are still the same and it's the same old Greg Davis offense pre-VY. VY was something special that saved Davis. Now, we're back to square one. We have no running game and JC hasn't been developed at all. We can't utilize his talents at all...it's frustrating.

I'd love to see Chiles get some reps. Just stick him out there and see what he can do, especially if you're not going to shirt him.

If it's not easy, then explain why Big Game Bob has 4 CC in a, what, 8 year span? We have a great program. No one is saying that we don't. But there's no reason we should be told that things will be improved (the running game) every year and then it's not. There's no reason we should only have 1 conference championship in 10 years. We've won a NC and for that I'm thankful. But Texas should have at least played in 2-3 other NC games with the talent we collect. I think that's what's frustrating our fan base right now. We have the feeling that the old Texas teams are back, pre VY. Only the sunshine pumpers feel good about OU this year. It's deja vu all over again.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Fire Greg Davis.

And you're damn right we want Major as our OC. Wouldn't you?

briefcase
09-05-2007, 12:43 PM
We definately need to get rid of Greg Davis. Hate to say it, but i believe Texas gets beat on Saturday.

g$$
09-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
First of all, don't lump all of UT's fanbase in one catagory. What you read on this board and what you read on other BBS is totally different. That's like lumping A&M fans all in the same catagory of "we're so much better than X, Y, and Z university but we don't get respect." You can't do that.

With that said, the majority of Texas fans know that this, right now, is not a Top 5 team. I'd say somewhere between 8-12. (give or take a few depending on what happens this weekend.)

And yes, I do want Greg Davis gone. Our schemes are still the same and it's the same old Greg Davis offense pre-VY. VY was something special that saved Davis. Now, we're back to square one. We have no running game and JC hasn't been developed at all. We can't utilize his talents at all...it's frustrating.

I'd love to see Chiles get some reps. Just stick him out there and see what he can do, especially if you're not going to shirt him.

If it's not easy, then explain why Big Game Bob has 4 CC in a, what, 8 year span? We have a great program. No one is saying that we don't. But there's no reason we should be told that things will be improved (the running game) every year and then it's not. There's no reason we should only have 1 conference championship in 10 years. We've won a NC and for that I'm thankful. But Texas should have at least played in 2-3 other NC games with the talent we collect. I think that's what's frustrating our fan base right now. We have the feeling that the old Texas teams are back, pre VY. Only the sunshine pumpers feel good about OU this year. It's deja vu all over again.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Fire Greg Davis.

And you're damn right we want Major as our OC. Wouldn't you?

Great post. You sound frustastrated & I don't blame you. Texas should have won more conference titles & possibly NCs if you consider the school, resources, recruiting, etc. One conference title in 10 years is unacceptable.

As for Stoops, I think we all reluctantly have to give him credit as he is a great coach. OU has had some bumps along the way too, on & off the field. When I say win BIG, I mean win BIG. They have won 4/8 plus a NC (& played for another).

My feelings are based on who I talk to more than what I read. That is why I said Texas fans "in general", so not calling anybody out on here or elsewhere. Just a general vibe from the masses. I have Horns in my family too & plenty of friends. VY is gone & Greg Davis fails to realize this it seems.

Let it play out on the field...but I think Texas loses 4 games this year. TCU, OU, either K-State or NEB, & A&M. Then we'll see about a bowl game opponent. This is not the Texas teams of years past, & I think anybody who knows football would agree. The standard is awfully high, as it should be, at a place like Texas.

(& yes, I like Major too as an OC, but not ready yet to be a HC)

g$$
09-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by jrhernandez7
Like mack said that the arkansas state game was the best thing to ever happen to texas.....now instead of being seen as the favorite they can rally around being the underdog wich fits this group alot better......They did not get physicaly dominated if that was the case then you could right off texas it was all mental mistakes wich having one of the elite coaching staffs in the country will fix. D-fense was dominate and no matter who they play they will give them a chance and offense has to many wepons not to come around. Texas quites the doubters

Texas 34
TCU 17

Sunshine pumper?

How is Texas the underdog ranked in the Top 10 (#7 currently falling from #4)? TCU is #19 btw.

Defense dominant? What game were you watching? Ark State had more yds. & more 1st downs. 4 times in red zone = 0 pts. for Ark State (missed 2 FGs, INT). Okam played great for Texas, but that's about it on defense. Sweed & Charles did pretty well on offense. Lokey had some moments on D too. Colt was shaky at best. OL was spotty, LBs still below avg., & secondary got torched again. Not dominant at all. It was a ballgame in the final minute vs. a team/program who got obliterated by SMU last year 55-9. Enough said.

I'm not picking a fight - my school A&M was so-so as well - but to post that reeks of drinking burnt orange kool-aid.

BTW, Greg Davis is on that "elite coaching staff".

necks_c/09
09-05-2007, 05:31 PM
hook'em

g$$
09-05-2007, 05:39 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by g$$
[B]Make that frustrated...sorry about that! Can't spell today.

Old Tiger
09-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Arkansas State gave it all against Texas. They came into the game as a prodominatly running team and showed up in the spread. They threw every play in their arsenal at Texas including the kitchen sink. While Texas came into the game using a vanilla playbook.

Not making excuses just pointing that out. Last time I checked a win is a win no matter how you look at it.

They will be more focused and ready with a full arsenal of plays for TCU.

g$$
09-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Arkansas State gave it all against Texas. They came into the game as a prodominatly running team and showed up in the spread. They threw every play in their arsenal at Texas including the kitchen sink. While Texas came into the game using a vanilla playbook.

Not making excuses just pointing that out. Last time I checked a win is a win no matter how you look at it.

They will be more focused and ready with a full arsenal of plays for TCU.

Again, Sun Belt team that SMU handled last year 55-9. Not an excuse, Texas' 3rd team should have been playing the entire 4th quarter. Coaching is all about adjustments.

Old Tiger
09-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Again, Sun Belt team that SMU handled last year 55-9. Not an excuse, Texas' 3rd team should have been playing the entire 4th quarter. Coaching is all about adjustments. At least they didn't lose to a 1AA team.;) :cool:

g$$
09-05-2007, 06:01 PM
At least they didn't lose to a 1AA team.;) :cool:

True, but that D1-AA team is 2-time defending champs in their division & some teams won't even play them (Duke, Wake Forest, etc.). That team from App. State can play folks! Ask Michigan.

Old Tiger
09-05-2007, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by g$$
True, but that D1-AA team is 2-time defending champs in their division & some teams won't even play them (Duke, Wake Forest, etc.). That team from App. State can play folks! Ask Michigan. True they are but they have fewer scholarships, lesser athletes, less resources, and so on. Just saying stuff that you have said. ;)

g$$
09-05-2007, 06:10 PM
True they are but they have fewer scholarships, lesser athletes, less resources, and so on. Just saying stuff that you have said. ;)

Yes I have said those things, & you are correct about them. The difference is depth more than # of athletes - their top 22 can play in D1-AA. App. State is not the avg. D1-AA team is the point.

(App. State has 22 fewer scholarships & 1/10th the funding as Michigan, for example)

Bull
09-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Do you think T.C.U. has a chance against Texas? :)

pooch
09-05-2007, 10:23 PM
I'll say no. but only if iraq and south africa such as and stuff.

hutex04
09-05-2007, 11:02 PM
if texas plays like they did against Arkansas state id say TCU would have a great chance of winning

Old Tiger
09-05-2007, 11:04 PM
Here is a 3 page thread with a poll about the game.

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69651

jrhernandez7
09-09-2007, 12:30 PM
jrhernandez7
Rookie

Member #: 3802

Texas 34
TCU 17

dang i scare myself score was 34-10

jrhernandez7
09-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Sunshine pumper?

"How is Texas the underdog ranked in the Top 10 (#7 currently falling from #4)? TCU is #19 btw.

Defense dominant? What game were you watching? Ark State had more yds. & more 1st downs. 4 times in red zone = 0 pts. for Ark State (missed 2 FGs, INT). Okam played great for Texas, but that's about it on defense. Sweed & Charles did pretty well on offense. Lokey had some moments on D too. Colt was shaky at best. OL was spotty, LBs still below avg., & secondary got torched again. Not dominant at all. It was a ballgame in the final minute vs. a team/program who got obliterated by SMU last year 55-9. Enough said.

I'm not picking a fight - my school A&M was so-so as well - but to post that reeks of drinking burnt orange kool-aid.

BTW, Greg Davis is on that "elite coaching staff"."

not to pick a fight but i was just stating what i saw last week..... defense is dominate u give up two tds in two weeks agianst anybody your dominate....... last week was a preseason game.....work out the kinks in game situations.......rember arkansas state probaly worked all offseason on Texas.......and thats why texas scheduled them.......a W is a W

Pmoney
09-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by jrhernandez7
dang i scare myself score was 34-10
actually it was 34-13