PDA

View Full Version : Caldwell's chances of winning 7+ games

wookinpanub
09-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Just want everyone's take on this. They have 27 seniors, return several key all-district returners (including QB and RB), return a RB who exploded on the JV level after helping the team embarrass 4A Elgin in last year's opener and got a transfer (tentatively) from Giddings earned post-season honors from a 2006 semifinalist team.

Gsquared
09-04-2007, 07:06 PM
I can tell someone isnt a Caldwell fan :p

buff4life
09-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by wookinpanub
Just want everyone's take on this. They have 27 seniors, return several key all-district returners (including QB and RB), return a RB who exploded on the JV level after helping the team embarrass 4A Elgin in last year's opener and got a transfer (tentatively) from Giddings earned post-season honors from a 2006 semifinalist team.

Transfer from Giddings got ruled out of play in the district meeting...he's out for the year...so don't count on him...

Daddy D 11
09-04-2007, 07:33 PM
i hope they do great!

beat giddings :p

im good friends with the QB and OLB :cool:

CHS_CG
09-05-2007, 07:57 AM
I voted that caldwell will inch into the playoffs but I think depending on who the get and what teams this year play the spoilers they will lose. I can't see them makin school history as varsity players. I do hope they prove me wrong but once you over look the great job they did on JV, this is just another caldwell team. I am sure our coach will find ways to prove that to. As I have stated b4, Very little respect for this town. Heck, I read in the paper the other day, the same "group" of people that was all over Cobia's butt has started their crap again bc of our QB. From what I hear Scott O(and I say O bc I cant spell his last name and I am to lazy to look it up) is our starting QB, but there is a better one than him thats not gettin to start. Who knows I havent paid attention to it all. I will be at the game Friday.. Lets hope they dont let me down even more.

Hornet's Nest
09-05-2007, 08:21 AM
I thought that you only had to sit out your first year after a transfer. He ought to be able to play his Senior year.

pirate4state
09-05-2007, 09:45 AM
let's stick to football talk & keep your personal vendetta's off this thread.

Darren
09-05-2007, 12:24 PM
My bet (based on past preformances) is that Caldwell will start out strong and get right into the district playoff mix only to play out in the end falling one spot short of the playoffs.

buff4life
09-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
let's stick to football talk & keep your personal vendetta's off this thread.
guess your talking to me huh? sorry his constant insulting of the Giddings program and of Fitzhenry in general is really started to push my buttons...no one from Giddings has ever put down Caldwell, even though they did come and vandalize our field and field house, and every post from him is about how bad giddings is BUT since my other post got deleted....

Read rule #3

burnet44
09-05-2007, 12:38 PM
If Norman Cobb cant win in Caldwell
I dont know if anyone can

and before you talk trash about Norman
he is a great coach, man and dad
He knows what he is doing
and has the wins to prove it

again if Norman cant win there
it aint the coaching
its the DNA

wookinpanub
09-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
If Norman Cobb cant win in Caldwell
I dont know if anyone can

and before you talk trash about Norman
he is a great coach, man and dad
He knows what he is doing
and has the wins to prove it

again if Norman cant win there
it aint the coaching
its the DNA

Pineland West Sabine - 44
(Cobb's team) Timpson 22

He also tried to force everyone to shave their hair off and quit a job at Victoria Stroman after an 0-5 start. He didn't even show up for Caldwell's last game his final year. That's not the greatest DNA either.

Sweetwater Red
09-05-2007, 03:09 PM
This is not meant as a shot to Caldwell.

Another website projects Caldwell to go 1-9 this year.

wookinpanub
09-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
This is not meant as a shot to Caldwell.

Another website projects Caldwell to go 1-9 this year.

The dude there (Jerry) also said he had no feedback from the coach to know what to expect when he made the projections.

With their schedule, though (Robinson, Hutto and Giddings, no less), I can see a 3-6 season (since they refused to play the Elgin game due to potential injuries during rain???) very possible.

Sadly, it would still be the best team with the worst record in 3A.

Time to schedule Milano, Burton and Somerville again. (sigh...)

Darren
09-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Sadly, it would still be the best team with the worst record in 3A.

Time to schedule Milano, Burton and Somerville again. (sigh...)

Scheduling 1a and 2a teams would make you a better 3a team?

Caldwell will make it back up into the elite ranks. They are just going through a down cycle on players and coaching.

It happens to almost (Celina) every team.

3afan
09-05-2007, 04:48 PM
some programs need to schedule for WINS and not schedule powers to make them tougher ..... some teams need to learn how to win before anything else

wookinpanub
09-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
some programs need to schedule for WINS and not schedule powers to make them tougher ..... some teams need to learn how to win before anything else

Yea, but you have to know Caldwell. Parents don't give a flip about the playoffs. It's all about showing off your kid even if it's at the expense of a sub-par season every year.

I can't recall more than two years in maybe the past 20 in which the Hornets couldn't compete with the best in the region. Even when Jason Carter was a senior, they blew it against Hearne and lost 26-18 --- AT HOME. We were 6-4, missed the playoffs and it was Hearne's only win that year!!! Somebody forgot to tell Caldwell that Hearne was horrible. Would they have listened? Probably not.....

I hate to say this, but Caldwell is truly among Class 3A's biggest under-achieving programs. The talent is always there, but they want to hire coaches with mediocre expectations. It's like "Oh well, the people who live here are used to winning four or five games and missing the playoffs, so if I can equal that, my job's secure."

And if you're buddies with the superintendent or HS principal, it IS secure.

The loss to Bellville in the season finale last year deflated every fans' hopes. To be on such a high with a 25-point lead with under six minutes left, leave to pee and then return to furious and bitter fans (including me - yes) failing to recover two onside kicks and losing the game 29-28 after they hadn't trailed since a 3-0 Brahma first-quarter lead. Football may not mean much to some places. But in Texas, it's sometimes the one thing you look forward to each Friday only to read about lousy teams with far less talent sporting 2-8 and 3-7 records making the playoffs.

Did they learn their lesson? Friday night might leave a hint but you gotta beat the Robinsons of the world to make a statement.

Caldwell has been plagued with question marks. I swear if that program doesn't make the playoffs this year, there will be a losing tradition to start like none ever before because the freshman team last year was 1-9.

CHS_CG
09-05-2007, 07:51 PM
I couldnt agree with you more. The ONLY thing these parents care about is how much their kid gets to play and its CRAP I have been through school here, went to every single game all of my high school life and saw just what this town has done to the football program. We had started to turn things around with Coach Cobia, but what happened there? A selective group of parents ran him off. If Caldwell can pull their butts together this year I will be very happy, if they dont, its nothing I didnt expect anyway no big deal.

wookinpanub
09-05-2007, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
guess your talking to me huh? sorry his constant insulting of the Giddings program and of Fitzhenry in general is really started to push my buttons...no one from Giddings has ever put down Caldwell, even though they did come and vandalize our field and field house, and every post from him is about how bad giddings is BUT since my other post got deleted....

Read rule #3

Wasn't that like four years ago? What three or four idiots do is not indicative of an entire program's intentions. They apologized and paid a pretty big price, if I recall.

buff4life
09-06-2007, 12:40 AM
i'm really tired of arguing..but for the last time...you associate everything that anybody named fitzhenry does with the entire town of Giddings and your so wrong...but thatz all i'm gonna say on the topic

hookandladder
09-06-2007, 07:20 AM
Yea, but you have to know Caldwell. Parents don't give a flip about the playoffs. It's all about showing off your kid even if it's at the expense of a sub-par season every year.

I can't recall more than two years in maybe the past 20 in which the Hornets couldn't compete with the best in the region. Even when Jason Carter was a senior, they blew it against Hearne and lost 26-18 --- AT HOME. We were 6-4, missed the playoffs and it was Hearne's only win that year!!! Somebody forgot to tell Caldwell that Hearne was horrible. Would they have listened? Probably not.....

I hate to say this, but Caldwell is truly among Class 3A's biggest under-achieving programs. The talent is always there, but they want to hire coaches with mediocre expectations. It's like "Oh well, the people who live here are used to winning four or five games and missing the playoffs, so if I can equal that, my job's secure."

And if you're buddies with the superintendent or HS principal, it IS secure.

The loss to Bellville in the season finale last year deflated every fans' hopes. To be on such a high with a 25-point lead with under six minutes left, leave to pee and then return to furious and bitter fans (including me - yes) failing to recover two onside kicks and losing the game 29-28 after they hadn't trailed since a 3-0 Brahma first-quarter lead. Football may not mean much to some places. But in Texas, it's sometimes the one thing you look forward to each Friday only to read about lousy teams with far less talent sporting 2-8 and 3-7 records making the playoffs.

Did they learn their lesson? Friday night might leave a hint but you gotta beat the Robinsons of the world to make a statement.

Caldwell has been plagued with question marks. I swear if that program doesn't make the playoffs this year, there will be a losing tradition to start like none ever before because the freshman team last year was 1-9.

I do agree Caldwell has had some fine looking athlete's on the field when we played them the last couple of years. I was amazed that we were able to play with them, with some of the skilled players they had on the field, they should have dominated us. I would say coaching had to have some blame with them not competing as well.

wookinpanub
09-06-2007, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by buff4life
i'm really tired of arguing..but for the last time...you associate everything that anybody named fitzhenry does with the entire town of Giddings and your so wrong...but thatz all i'm gonna say on the topic

Ok, fine. Then lay over and play dead when the two meet.

wookinpanub
09-06-2007, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
I do agree Caldwell has had some fine looking athlete's on the field when we played them the last couple of years. I was amazed that we were able to play with them, with some of the skilled players they had on the field, they should have dominated us. I would say coaching had to have some blame with them not competing as well.

Thanks you for noticing! I was beginning to wonder if it was just homers. Losing to La Grange is never anything to be ashamed. You town and school system is pure class.

Darren
09-06-2007, 07:39 AM
Thanks you for noticing! I was beginning to wonder if it was just homers. Losing to La Grange is never anything to be ashamed. You town and school system is pure class.

You are strange...

hookandladder
09-06-2007, 09:40 AM

I will agree with you on the town however our school system is another matter. We now have a new Superintendent who is starting to put are school system back together. Have you seen our facilities lately, when football teams come to LG they will not even use the visitors fieldhouse( Total embarrassment). This is just one example, our entire facilities are at the bottom of most all 3A schools and we are considered a rich school District. You do the math and figure out our ploblem. Like I said we have a new Super and things will get better, two of the first issues he addressed were the baseball field and computer area. We already have improvement in the process for Baseball, Softball and Football fields. Yes the old Super was good at saving money however it was at the cost of the school kid facilities.

wookinpanub
09-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Darren
You are strange...

sounds like sour grapes - Highway 77 style.....