PDA

View Full Version : ESPN article calls out Texas A&M...

g$$
09-04-2007, 06:14 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2997931&sportCat=ncf

Makes some good points. Texas A&M should be better with the resources, $$, academic reputation of school, alumni, facilities, location, conference, etc. It is high time to take the next step. Do or die year for Fran.

Sweetwater96
09-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Good article and I highly agree! I have loved A&M since I was a kid and it is ashame that with all the tradition, etc. A&M hasn't done more.

wookinpanub
09-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by g$$
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2997931&sportCat=ncf

Makes some good points. Texas A&M should be better with the resources, $$, academic reputation of school, alumni, facilities, location, conference, etc. It is high time to take the next step. Do or die year for Fran.

AMEN

BrahmaMom
09-05-2007, 12:19 AM
Fran has been given lots of support, slack, talent, and $$$$.I am not sure what the Aggies have to show for it. Even as far as how many 5 year graduates from the football program or what percentage?

g$$
09-05-2007, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by BrahmaMom
Fran has been given lots of support, slack, talent, and $$$$.I am not sure what the Aggies have to show for it. Even as far as how many 5 year graduates from the football program or what percentage?

Last report had A&M graduating around 60% of football players, which is higher than it was before Fran, & good on a national scale (complicated formula but based on 6 years). Texas was around 40% in same report, for example.

But, it is time to win big football games too. I am a graduate & tired of mediocrity. Other sports are flourishing like basketball, baseball, softball, tennis, soccer, etc. Fran gets over $2 million per year plus perks & this is his 5th year too. The resources & infrastructure are all in place. Rabid fan base & best facilities in the country now as stated in a recent article. Make or break year for Fran.

IHStangFan
09-05-2007, 06:07 AM
yup yup yup

injuredinmelee
09-05-2007, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Last report had A&M graduating around 60% of football players, which is higher than it was before Fran, & good on a national scale (complicated formula but based on 6 years). Texas was around 40% in same report, for example.

But, it is time to win big football games too. I am a graduate & tired of mediocrity. Other sports are flourishing like basketball, baseball, softball, tennis, soccer, etc. Fran gets over $2 million per year plus perks & this is his 5th year too. The resources & infrastructure are all in place. Rabid fan base & best facilities in the country now as stated in a recent article. Make or break year for Fran.

Did the Texas win grant Fran another year?

IHStangFan
09-05-2007, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Did the Texas win grant Fran another year? bet on it.

18handicap
09-05-2007, 06:41 AM
I agree and I was at the game at Kyle Field on Saturday. If Montana State could have scored in the red zone (at least 4 times with no points), A&M could have been another Michigan. A very lackluster performance overall and I also think a lack of class by Fran when he calls 3 time outs in the last 2 minutes to get a touchdown pass in the final minute when they were already ahead 30-7.

Fran's comment about OU is having to spend time finding jobs for their quarterbacks may come to haunt him, especially in Norman this year.

wookinpanub
09-05-2007, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by g$$

Exactly, and look what Billy Gillispie did in no time for the basketball program! While I think BG is a traitor of sorts because he chose Kentucky merely because of "past" historic tradition, he still did a crapload more for an individual program than what I personally feel Franchione has done for Aggie football. (Has he even read The Twelfth Man?") We've not only lost the once-iconic Wreckin' Crew status, but we've been not "outscored," but humiliated in two bowl appearances by Tennessee and California.

Fran's happy-go-lucky attitude seems so aloof and careless sometimes, it's annoying. He's become the Donald Trump of college football. Gillispie likely recognized this and thought "what the hell am I doin' stickin' around this ungrateful joint?" ---- ya know?

BobcatBenny
09-05-2007, 07:06 AM
I will be in Lubbock to watch the end of the Fran era.

wookinpanub
09-05-2007, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny

The "team" will be there to avenge the Raiders for themselves - whether or not Fran even attends or not. Take that to the bank.

LH Panther Mom
09-05-2007, 07:10 AM
Man, I'd LOVE to be there. *sigh* I miss games at Jones Stadium. :(

Adidas410s
09-05-2007, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by wookinpanub
The "team" will be there to avenge the Raiders for themselves - whether or not Fran even attends or not. Take that to the bank.

duly noted :rolleyes:

IHStangFan
09-05-2007, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
duly noted :rolleyes: LOL!! nice delivery man.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-05-2007, 08:22 AM
:(

CHS_CG
09-05-2007, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by wookinpanub
Exactly, and look what Billy Gillispie did in no time for the basketball program! While I think BG is a traitor of sorts because he chose Kentucky merely because of "past" historic tradition, he still did a crapload more for an individual program than.

He didnt just go to Kentucky bc of the "past" historic tradition... The money was amazing. Do I think he shoulda stuck with his boys, damn right. But thats for another day.

g$$
09-05-2007, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Did the Texas win grant Fran another year?

In a word, yes. But the clock is ticking again & he better win. Signed thru 2011 but that can be handled by the right boosters.

Old Tiger
09-05-2007, 06:27 PM
It is far easier to turn around a basketball program than it is a football program wookinpanub

g$$
09-05-2007, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by 18handicap
I agree and I was at the game at Kyle Field on Saturday. If Montana State could have scored in the red zone (at least 4 times with no points), A&M could have been another Michigan. A very lackluster performance overall and I also think a lack of class by Fran when he calls 3 time outs in the last 2 minutes to get a touchdown pass in the final minute when they were already ahead 30-7.

Fran's comment about OU is having to spend time finding jobs for their quarterbacks may come to haunt him, especially in Norman this year.

Fran should never have picked a fight with Bob Stoops. His comment was just stupid & uncalled for IMO. We play in Norman, let's remember, & he has never beaten OU.

g$$
09-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
It is far easier to turn around a basketball program than it is a football program wookinpanub

You do realize that A&M basketball was 0-16 the year before BCG took over in the Big 12, right? That was a monumental task & he did it. BCG for all his faults can flat coach. A&M bball is now on the map, getting national recuits, & here to stay w/ Turgeon. Fran has had 5 years - get it done or see ya.

That's a cop-out buddy.

Bull19
09-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Fran should never have picked a fight with Bob Stoops. His comment was just stupid & uncalled for IMO. We play in Norman, let's remember, & he has never beaten OU.

maybe another 72-0 is on the horizon?

g$$
09-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
maybe another 72-0 is on the horizon?

It was 77-0 unfortunately. Worst loss in school history. I don't see that happening, but it will be tough to win.

Old Tiger
09-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Two words for ya g$$. Acie Law

That guy was good and he's the reason A&M did so well.

Much like Syracuse the year Carmelo Anthony was there.

g$$
09-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Two words for ya g$$. Acie Law

That guy was good and he's the reason A&M did so well.

Much like Syracuse the year Carmelo Anthony was there.

Great player & already on campus when BCG arrived. The PROGRAM is much better now. Just got a national PG recruit from out of state among others. Bball is not going away at A&M. Women are defending conference champs too.

You are selling the program now short. Watch & see. Football needs to join the party. A&M won more conference titles last year than Texas. :)

Old Tiger
09-05-2007, 06:39 PM
It will be interesting to see how the mens basketball programs does with out Gillespie and Acie Law is all I am saying

g$$
09-05-2007, 06:42 PM
It will be interesting to see how the mens basketball programs does with out Gillespie and Acie Law is all I am saying

Just fine - cupboard is not bare. Acie was great but so was Durant, you move forward. BTW, Syracuse has been a national bball power for years. Carmelo just added to the list.

big daddy russ
09-05-2007, 07:18 PM
The roster in College Station is absolutely loaded with four- and five-star recruits. They have no less than three future NBAers on the team right now along with one of the top young big men (five-star seven-footer DeAndre Jordan) in the college ranks.

And don't forget, they still have Jones.

g$$
09-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
The roster in College Station is absolutely loaded with four- and five-star recruits. They have no less than three future NBAers on the team right now along with one of the top young big men (five-star seven-footer DeAndre Jordan) in the college ranks.

And don't forget, they still have Jones.

Thanks for the verification Russ. These youngsters are in the dark. I guess we were supposed to be drop bball when Acie left!

Undoubtedly, the deepest & most talented Aggie bball roster in my lifetime. Period.

big daddy russ
09-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Thanks for the verification Russ. These youngsters are in the dark. I guess we were supposed to be drop bball when Acie left!

Undoubtedly, the deepest & most talented Aggie bball roster in my lifetime. Period.
This 07-08 roster is probably the deepest and most talented team College Station's ever seen.

g$$
09-05-2007, 08:21 PM
This 07-08 roster is probably the deepest and most talented team College Station's ever seen.

Agreed, a bunch of very good bball players will not make the rotation. I do not ever remember that happening at A&M when you can go 10 deep. Maybe Shelby's team that lost in Sweet 16, but I doubt it. Should be fun.

BobcatBenny
09-05-2007, 08:31 PM
In a couple of seasons when UNT gets its program rolling, A&M will fall another rung on the program ladder in Texas.

Being fifth on the depth chart is going to hurt! :D

Perhaps the Aggies should get the tradition of getting beat by the Screaming Eagles rolling? :rolleyes:

pooch
09-05-2007, 10:34 PM
who is UNT? and A&M...is this Florida AM or no?

Txbroadcaster
09-05-2007, 10:44 PM
IMO Fran is A&M's version of John Macovick when he was at Texas

He was always taking one step forward, then one step back, could never get the consistency part down for the Horns.

His attitude was considered aloof and unreachable..he would try to act like a new man, but it never worked..He never seemed comfortable at Texas

When I see Fran I see the same thing..a great win always seems to be followed by a bad loss..and he never seems truly comfortable

g$$
09-06-2007, 02:57 AM
In a couple of seasons when UNT gets its program rolling, A&M will fall another rung on the program ladder in Texas.

Being fifth on the depth chart is going to hurt! :D

Perhaps the Aggies should get the tradition of getting beat by the Screaming Eagles rolling? :rolleyes:

Stick to your day job, not a comedian! Not worried about UNT in the least. Name the Texas program who went the furthest in the NCAAs this year?

...Texas A&M lost a final seconds heartbreaker to Memphis in Sweet 16! Future is bright.

g$$
09-06-2007, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
IMO Fran is A&M's version of John Macovick when he was at Texas

He was always taking one step forward, then one step back, could never get the consistency part down for the Horns.

His attitude was considered aloof and unreachable..he would try to act like a new man, but it never worked..He never seemed comfortable at Texas

When I see Fran I see the same thing..a great win always seems to be followed by a bad loss..and he never seems truly comfortable

Agree 100%, in fact that comparison is made often. Mackovic never fit the mold here. The problem with Fran is he is pompous & not one of the guys. HS coaches don't like him & don't really know him. OC Les Koenning is well-liked of course & some other assts. Your lifeblood is recruiting.

Remember Mack Brown's speech after winning the NC? He thanked the hs coaches in Texas on national tv. Speaks volumes.

Macarthur
09-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by g$$
In a word, yes. But the clock is ticking again & he better win. Signed thru 2011 but that can be handled by the right boosters.

I have always been a fan of Fran, but I have to agree. I thought when they pulled him in that A&M would be a dominate force. For what ever reason, it just hasn't happened. Unless, there's a total colapse, I think Fran has this year and next. The challenge for the school will be if he wins 8 or 9 this year and next, what do you do? He's still winning the game he should, but not taking the next step. Frankly, I think they should stay with him for the long run. Mainly because I don't know who you would go get that's better and the program will probably take a step back for at least two or three years. I personally still think Fran can get it done. I think he's a great offensive coach and if they can just get the defense up to par, they will be just fine.

big daddy russ
09-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I have always been a fan of Fran, but I have to agree. I thought when they pulled him in that A&M would be a dominate force. For what ever reason, it just hasn't happened. Unless, there's a total colapse, I think Fran has this year and next. The challenge for the school will be if he wins 8 or 9 this year and next, what do you do? He's still winning the game he should, but not taking the next step. Frankly, I think they should stay with him for the long run. Mainly because I don't know who you would go get that's better and the program will probably take a step back for at least two or three years. I personally still think Fran can get it done. I think he's a great offensive coach and if they can just get the defense up to par, they will be just fine.
With the money they're shelling out, the upgrades to all their facilities, and the recruits they're bringing in, A&M should be able to get just about anyone they want. Fran's one of the top 10 highest-paid college coaches.

I honestly don't know what direction to take on this issue. Wait it out another year or stop him before all the eight- and nine-win seasons cause the recruiting base to dry up?

Coaches out there whose names have been thrown around on the market, plus a few assistants that deserve shots include:

Chan Gailey- Georgia Tech
Rich Rodriguez- West Virginia (But could he recruit Texas against OU and UT?)
Jim Grobe- Wake Forest
Jeff Tedford- Cal
Tom O'Brien- Boston College
Jimbo Fisher- FSU (Let's see how he finishes out this season first)
Bo Pelini- LSU
Al Borges- Auburn
Will Muschamp- Auburn
Norm Chow- Tennessee Titans
Butch Davis- UNC :thinking: (This hire might still be a couple of years away)
Bud Foster- Virginia Tech (He's only in his late-40's and has been the architect behind that defense for the past 21 years.)

I doubt Gailey will leave, as he's a Georgia native and went back to be closer to his family. Rodriguez is interesting, but as I said, he's not known as a great recruiter. Gets most of his kids from the scrap heap (Pat White was a two-star QB out of HS who just happened to fit his offense) as athletes then puts them where he wants them. Also, Rodriguez's system isn't friendly for QB's looking for an NFL payday, so many top QB prospects pass him over. Tedford's an interesting choice, but will A&M go after another offensive-minded coach after Fran leaves? Same goes for Jimbo Fisher.

Al Borges and Norm Chow are different stories, however. Borges has tailored his offenses to work well with the defense in Auburn. Chow is regarded as possibly the best offensive mind in the college game (at least when he was with USC) and would be a "name" that the Ags could bring in. He's been looking for a gig as a head man, too. The same could be said for Tedford, though he's had several years of head coaching experience. Could the money, facilities, recruiting base, and lesser academic requirements lure him away from Cal?

Grobe's an interesting guy. A lot like Kirk Ferentz in that he coaches his players "up" about as much as possible. One of the best teachers of the game (well, both him and his staff, most of which have been with him since his days at Miami of Ohio), but a better game-day coach. The problem with him, though, is the same as Rodriguez: how will he do recruiting against Stoops and Mack, two of the best in the nation (if not the two best in the nation, period).

But there are a lot of options out there.

Macarthur
09-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Jim Grobe- Wake Forest
Jeff Tedford- Cal
Bo Pelini- LSU
Al Borges- Auburn
Will Muschamp- Auburn
Bud Foster- Virginia Tech (He's only in his late-40's and has been the architect behind that defense for the past 21 years.)

I'm not convinced any of those would be a sure fire upgrade over Fran.

Maybe Tedford, Rodriguez & Davis but there's no way you would pull them away.

No on Gailey. Hell No.

The rest are assistants that might hit and might not. You ready to roll that dice?

big daddy russ
09-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I'm not convinced any of those would be a sure fire upgrade over Fran.

Maybe Tedford, Rodriguez & Davis but there's no way you would pull them away.

No on Gailey. Hell No.

The rest are assistants that might hit and might not. You ready to roll that dice?
Me personally? I have no clue where I stand on this issue. That was just a list of potential coaches I was throwing out. I want to give him at least this entire year before passing judgment, maybe next.

If he gets to nine wins this year, I'll give him another year. If he wins a second-tier bowl against a good team, I'll remove him from the hot seat. If he beats UT and OU but goes 6-6, he should be gone IMO.

BobcatBenny
09-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Stick to your day job, not a comedian! Not worried about UNT in the least. Name the Texas program who went the furthest in the NCAAs this year?

...Texas A&M lost a final seconds heartbreaker to Memphis in Sweet 16! Future is bright.

October 13th! :eek:

g$$
09-07-2007, 08:22 AM
With the money they're shelling out, the upgrades to all their facilities, and the recruits they're bringing in, A&M should be able to get just about anyone they want. Fran's one of the top 10 highest-paid college coaches.

I honestly don't know what direction to take on this issue. Wait it out another year or stop him before all the eight- and nine-win seasons cause the recruiting base to dry up?

Coaches out there whose names have been thrown around on the market, plus a few assistants that deserve shots include:

Jim Grobe- Wake Forest
Jeff Tedford- Cal
Bo Pelini- LSU
Al Borges- Auburn
Will Muschamp- Auburn

I doubt Gailey will leave, as he's a Georgia native and went back to be closer to his family. Rodriguez is interesting, but as I said, he's not known as a great recruiter. Gets most of his kids from the scrap heap (Pat White was a two-star QB out of HS who just happened to fit his offense) as athletes then puts them where he wants them. Also, Rodriguez's system isn't friendly for QB's looking for an NFL payday, so many top QB prospects pass him over. Tedford's an interesting choice, but will A&M go after another offensive-minded coach after Fran leaves? Same goes for Jimbo Fisher.

Al Borges and Norm Chow are different stories, however. Borges has tailored his offenses to work well with the defense in Auburn. Chow is regarded as possibly the best offensive mind in the college game (at least when he was with USC) and would be a "name" that the Ags could bring in. He's been looking for a gig as a head man, too. The same could be said for Tedford, though he's had several years of head coaching experience. Could the money, facilities, recruiting base, and lesser academic requirements lure him away from Cal?

Grobe's an interesting guy. A lot like Kirk Ferentz in that he coaches his players "up" about as much as possible. One of the best teachers of the game (well, both him and his staff, most of which have been with him since his days at Miami of Ohio), but a better game-day coach. The problem with him, though, is the same as Rodriguez: how will he do recruiting against Stoops and Mack, two of the best in the nation (if not the two best in the nation, period).

But there are a lot of options out there.

Great posts by both of you. I have been patient with Fran too, but this year is it for me. Either win big & earn your $$ OR it is time to cut ties. This is his 5th year & a full recruiting cycle. His system is in place. Now WIN.

As for replacements, Texas A&M can hire a big-name coach. School has the $$, resources, facilities, alumni, conference, name, etc. to do so. Some still say it is a "sleeping giant", to quote DKR. Getting a quality new coach would not be a problem.

I think it is time Norm Chow got a shot. Been a great asst. for a long time (BYU, USC, Titans, etc.). Offensive coach & lots of ties in recruiting & coaching. He could fill a staff & then some. Fran has this year for me - prove it or move on.

If A&M was happy with 8-9 wins, then we should have kept RC. He did finish 6-6 his final year, but he never had a losing record.