Adidas410s
09-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Clausen gets starting nod at QB against Penn State
ESPN.com news services

Updated: September 4, 2007, 12:27 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
True freshman Jimmy Clausen will start for Notre Dame against Penn State on Saturday.

"I think he's ready to run the offense. If I didn't think he was ready I wouldn't do this," coach Charlie Weis said Tuesday. "I'm not going to play musical chairs with our quarterbacks."

Saturday's 33-3 loss Saturday to Georgia Tech was the worst season-opening loss in Notre Dame history. It was the third straight game the Irish were soundly beaten, dating back to a 41-14 loss to LSU in the Sugar Bowl and a 44-24 loss to USC in the regular-season finale.

It's also the first time the Irish failed to score a touchdown in a season opener since a 20-12 loss at Michigan in 1985.

The three points are the fewest points scored by the Irish under third-year coach Weis. The previous low was in a 14-10 win in the season-opener against Georgia Tech last season.

But even more frustrating was that the Irish offense looked inept against the Yellow Jackets as Weis went through three quarterbacks trying to find a spark. Demetrius Jones tried to run the ball and Evan Sharpley and Clausen tried to pass, but none of them could find any room as the Georgia Tech defense repeatedly overpowered the Irish line.

The Irish quarterbacks were sacked nine times for a loss of 69 yards, including Sharpley being sacked seven times. Even subtracting the sack yardage from the rushing total, four Irish backs managed 44 yards rushing on 17 carries. Starting tailback Travis Thomas lost seven yards on seven carries and the Irish line was repeatedly stuffed on short-yardage situations.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

3afan
09-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Mark May on ESPN said ND could start 0-7

doubt its that bad but it would be cool

Macarthur
09-04-2007, 11:46 AM
MIght as well get the kid ready to play. They are going to get drilled this year anyway.

bandera7
09-04-2007, 12:35 PM
yeah I knew this year was gonna be rough. Poor Weis is playing with low level recruits...Notre Dame fans are looking forward to our team in two or three years. but this year is a rebuilding year...