The current Sagarin Rankings look like this:

37. Texas A&M
38. Appalachain State
39. Alabama
40. Michigan

:eek: :eek: :eek:

crzyjournalist03
09-04-2007, 09:51 AM
I heard today that App. State isn't eligible for AP or Coaches poll honors because they're not DI.

3afan
09-04-2007, 09:55 AM
they ARE DI, but they re FCS, not FBS

JasperDog94
09-04-2007, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
they ARE DI, but they re FCS, not FBS When did they change the classifications and can you explain it to me?

3afan
09-04-2007, 09:59 AM
its basically just a name change --- former I-A is now the FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision) and former I-AA is now FCS (Football Championship Subdivision)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

From a newspaper article:
FBS vs. FCS
Last update: September 01, 2007 – 7:07 PM

Michigan's loss to Appalachian State on Saturday likely had fans wondering: What's with these FBS and FCS labels the NCAA is using?

Put simply, the NCAA has renamed Division I-A and Division I-AA.

• Division I-A, which includes the teams that play for bowl berths, is now called Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS). Included conferences are the Big Ten, ACC, Big East, Big 12, Conference USA, Mid-American, Mountain West, Pac-10, Southeastern, Sun Belt, Western Athletic and major independents Notre Dame, Army, Navy and Western Kentucky.

• Division I-AA, which has a playoff to determine its national champion, is now called Football Championship Subdivision (FCS).

JasperDog94
09-04-2007, 10:04 AM
Can a team change their own classification? If so, I think it would be hysterical if a few of the FBS teams changed over to FCS and the FCS became the standard! What a concept! A 16 team playoffs to decide the national champion!!!:)

Phil C
09-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
The current Sagarin Rankings look like this:

37. Texas A&M
38. Appalachain State
39. Alabama
40. Michigan

:eek: :eek: :eek:

:eek:

3afan
09-04-2007, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Can a team change their own classification? If so, I think it would be hysterical if a few of the FBS teams changed over to FCS and the FCS became the standard! What a concept! A 16 team playoffs to decide the national champion!!!:)

yes they can, but its not an overnight process, it can take years ...... FCS teams can only have 55 (i think) scholarships whereas FBS can hav 85 (i think) so if SMU for example wanted to go down to FCS they would have to apply to the NCAA to make the change then get down to the number of scholarships allowed - there is a provisionary period of some length in there too

you can find the exact, complete details at www.ncaa.org

JasperDog94
09-04-2007, 10:15 AM
yes they can, but its not an overnight process, it can take years ...... FCS teams can only have 55 (i think) scholarships whereas FBS can hav 85 (i think) so if SMU for example wanted to go down to FCS they would have to apply to the NCAA to make the change then get down to the number of scholarships allowed - there is a provisionary period of some length in there too

you can find the exact, complete details at www.ncaa.org The scholarship limitation will eliminate any school from wanting to go down.:(

big daddy russ
09-04-2007, 11:45 AM

you can find the exact, complete details at www.ncaa.org
I know that it actually has a lot to do with funding. Most people think that enrollment plays a part, but not at all. Auburn is the biggest school in Alabama with an enrollment of 19k, Baylor checks in somewhere around the 12k mark (at least last I checked), and Notre Dame has fewer than 10k students. Meanwhile, Texas State has almost 30k kids and Sam Houston State posted an enrollment of over 16k students this fall.

If I remember correctly, there has to be 7 and 7 varsity teams (male and female) for a school to be D-IA (FBS). When Wyoming moved up from IAA a few years ago, they just turned their club soccer team into a varsity, scholarship program.

Don't get me wrong, it's not something you just decide to do overnight, it takes a couple of years of planning and paperwork to get it all right.

PS: I'm pretty sure you're square on in your scholly numbers.