PDA

View Full Version : Paintball

Ranger Mom
09-03-2007, 10:02 PM
My parents just bought a house with 15 acres of land....at the back of their property is a paintball set-up.

How dangerous is this?? My brother and his friends want to play out there.....as does my daughter's b/f.

What kind of liability are my parents looking at?? Is a signed waiver enough??

Emerson1
09-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Well if they wear mask then it's really safe. You are more liable to get hurt just running from bunker to bunker and twisting an ankle or something.

Ranger Mom
09-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Well if they wear mask then it's really safe. You are more liable to get hurt just running from bunker to bunker and twisting an ankle or something.

Heck...it has nothing on it as elaborate as "bunkers"!! It's more tractor tires and old vehicles from what I could see.

Nobody has walked out far enough to check it out. The weeds are about 5-6 feet tall and they have found 5 rattlesnakes in the past week.

As "brave";) as I usually am when it comes to spiders and snakes, even I am not gonna walk out there into the great unknown!!!:eek: :eek:

Cameron Crazy
09-03-2007, 10:10 PM
I actually agree with emerson.

olddawggreen
09-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
My parents just bought a house with 15 acres of land....at the back of their property is a paintball set-up.

How dangerous is this?? My brother and his friends want to play out there.....as does my daughter's b/f.

My boys have been playing since they were really young. I used to referree them until they got older. We always had a rule that you always had to have a mask on until you left the field of play. The risk of injury is greatest when your eyes are not protected.
As far as the liability issue, when we first started holding games, I went online and found a release, simular to what commercial paintball fields use.

The guys played for a long time, but it is a very expensive sport. While you might start out buying a inexpensive gun at Walmart, you will soon be upgrading$$, and upgrading$$$, and upgrading$$$$!:eek: They still have their guns and play occasionally, I was excited to see them finally start getting into bow hunting and tournaments. I think it's money a lot better spent.

LH Panther Mom
09-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Brandon and his friends used to have "wars" and no one ever got hurt.

:doh: :doh: At first I thought you were talking about the dude from Burnet. :D

Ranger Mom
09-03-2007, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
My boys have been playing since they were really young. I used to referree them until they got older. We always had a rule that you always had to have a mask on until you left the field of play. The risk of injury is greatest when your eyes are not protected.
As far as the liability issue, when we first started holding games, I went online and found a release, simular to what commercial paintball fields use.

The guys played for a long time, but it is a very expensive sport. While you might start out buying a inexpensive gun at Walmart, you will soon be upgrading$$, and upgrading$$$, and upgrading$$$$!:eek: They still have their guns and play occasionally, I was excited to see them finally start getting into bow hunting and tournaments. I think it's money a lot better spent.

My kids don't seem the least bit interested in it......so I won't be out ANYTHING!! They are all old enough to fund it themselves if they should decide to do it.

My main concern was for my parents liability though!! I will look for an online release...thanks for the info!!

burnet44
09-03-2007, 11:02 PM
we threw dirt clods
gave us good arms
we worked on our quickness
over all a good sport for pre-footballers
especailly qb's

Ranger Mom
09-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
we threw dirt clods
gave us good arms
we worked on our quickness
over all a good sport for pre-footballers
especailly qb's

Living in West Texas.....we threw "stickers"!!

Those ones on the long green stems with tons of them on it........YEOUCH!!!!

That and the bottle rocket wars!!:D :D

buff4life
09-03-2007, 11:29 PM
first time i ever played, i got hit in my manhood and the ball didn't pop...left me scarred for life lol, not literally just mentally

TexanAlum_06
09-04-2007, 12:16 AM
Like emerson said. you are more likely to get hurt running or sliding/ diving into cover. as long as u keep your mask on. One of my cousins decided to play without one about a year ago because he didnt like his mask fogging up. its a pain in the arse!!! but low and behold he took a hit in the corner of his eye and is now blind in his right eye. so just make sure everybody has their mask on and they cant take it off till the game is over and everybody has there barrel plugs in. and it is a very expensive hobby. I had to quit for a while because it was draining my account, because you can alwaz get a better gun or barrel and then when you start playing with good paintballs that cost 45$ a box and only last about 2 games then you will never go back to the cheap walmart brand stuff that busts and is innacurate. but yeah it just expensive. depending on how addicted you get to it!!!... but it is fun none the less and it is a good work out!

Darren
09-04-2007, 09:37 AM

It's fun. Expensive....

Can be dangerous. Make sure you wear all of the proper equpiment and you should be ok.

Ranger Mom
09-04-2007, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Darren
It's fun. Expensive....

Can be dangerous. Make sure you wear all of the proper equpiment and you should be ok.

WHAT?!?!?!...I'm not going to be involved!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Darren
09-04-2007, 10:49 AM
WHAT?!?!?!...I'm not going to be involved!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Maybe that should be a reward linked to donations.

Gold level donators get a paintball game verses the MOD's.

Diamond level--- paintball game versus the mods but the mods don't get guns.

:D

Send_the_House
09-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Dont believe that having the kids sign a waiver is enough to waive your liability. In fact, any document signed by a person under the age of 18 is void anyway. The document must be signed by their parents to even be considered in a court. Even with this signed, it will not win a lawsuit. If paintball is being played on your property, and something happens, you can, and will be sued and lose. Hopefully your homeowners insurance has a high limit (you need to check and see if they will even cover a paintball injury). This is a terrible, terrible idea.

As for playing paintball, it should never be played without a mask, period. Not some safety goggles from woodshop class... It has to be a real, paintball approved safety mask or you are in danger.

Ranger Mom
09-04-2007, 01:11 PM
I don't have any kids under 18 myself and my brother, who wants to play out there with friends, will be 44 this month!!

I don't think they will let anyone who is not family, or close friends with the family, play anyway.....IF they decide to let anyone!!

Send_the_House
09-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Its still a bad idea.

Compared to the cost of markers and paint, going to a professional field to play is cheap.

Plus, the paintballs will make a mess of your property. (biodegradeable my butt...)

Emerson1
09-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Just have them put up no trespassing signs, that is what my uncle was told to do at the lakehouse because we have a upper deck on the dock now for people to jump off of and break their neck.

Ranger Mom
09-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Just have them put up no trespassing signs, that is what my uncle was told to do at the lakehouse because we have a upper deck on the dock now for people to jump off of and break their neck.

Haha!! They already have those up to keep the crazy man they bought the house from away!!:D :D