PDA

View Full Version : (Poll) Bellville Brahmas vs West Columbia Roughnecks.

rancher
09-02-2007, 07:38 AM
Any word on the boys at Columbia, unsure of how the team is this year, just saw where they were beaten by Brazosport. After seeing Bellville, this will be a good game. Im will be talking to folks in the area to get a feel. Need feedback and predictions.

necks_c/09
09-02-2007, 09:09 AM
Honestly, no matter how homerish I am, I believe we will get it handed to us.

Defense played well in the first half last week but fell apart in the second half.

The offense showed some life but turnovers, penalties, and special teams is what killed us.

( 2 pics) (4 fumbles)- 3 lost, and a safety

If they play without the "slop" then they can play with bellville but if they play the same kinda game, itll get ugly quick.

I think the defense will keep us in the game, but we fall

24-14 due to mistakes.....

themsu97
09-02-2007, 09:40 AM
we scrimmaged Columbia... and this is my break down on Columbia... well coached at every position as always... that is there strength is that they are very disciplined at their positions... they are also very strong up front which is not unusual...
the difference is they are very young at some key skill positions and they do not have the overall speed they usually do...
but I know that they will be ready come district...

mac77
09-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by necks_c/09

Defense played well in the first half last week but fell apart in the second half.

Fell apart? When you spend all your time on the field against a team that much faster than you, you're gonna get tired. We were hurtin some but the mistakes hurt more than anything. As for falling apart, I don't think so, not on defense.

neck_06
09-02-2007, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by mac77
Fell apart? When you spend all your time on the field against a team that much faster than you, you're gonna get tired. We were hurtin some but the mistakes hurt more than anything. As for falling apart, I don't think so, not on defense.

i second that.......IMO this season has the looks of my sophomore year (1-9) with all the youth, the mistakes, and the defense constantly having to bail out the offense. what do you think mac?

p.s. - i'm sure that this years team will have no problem topping that 1-9 mark we put up in 4A my sophomore year. lol

zebrablue2
09-02-2007, 07:52 PM
this will be a good hs football game. both young teams, the one with the fewest turnovers wins. bellville by 10. good luck to both teams.

scrub c
09-03-2007, 07:33 AM
Stadium is almost ready... but sadly, we will not play on it Friday night.

some updated pics from the school's website http://www.cbisd.com/chs/CHSsports/griggsthumbs.htm

pancho villa
09-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Ms Pancho wants to know if they put in a sprinkler system with the new turf?

Uncle Buck
09-03-2007, 01:03 PM
I thought Columbia could have easily beaton Bport had they not had 5 Turnovers. Bport is much improved but, it was some key turnovers deep in Columbia territory that was the Difference. Not to mention the punt returned for a TD. With that said I have not seen Bellville. Should be a good game.

neck_06
09-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa
Ms Pancho wants to know if they put in a sprinkler system with the new turf?

nah, i heard that the field crew was just going to water it manually after they mow it.

g$$
09-03-2007, 05:59 PM
Columbia will get better every week. They are young & lack the speed of previous years. They are well-coached & will fight to the end. That said, Columbia is looking at a tough year. Best of luck to all.

KL3
09-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Bellville fans, what happened with soph. RB/LB Josh Browning? I didn't see him with the team friday?

FormerBellvilleBrahma
09-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by KL3
Bellville fans, what happened with soph. RB/LB Josh Browning? I didn't see him with the team friday?

He quit last Friday, that makes 8 that were on varsity to quit. Hope the coaches talk to him and get him back, he will be a D1 player come his Sr year.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
09-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Just wanted to put a poll on this game, fell free to combine this tread with the tread rancher started.

Bull's-eye
09-03-2007, 07:30 PM
KL3, what was your views on the Bellville/Sealy game?

KL3
09-03-2007, 07:32 PM
That is unbelievable. The kid had college football in his future. 6'1" - 6'2" 180 lbs. Maybe the best player out of a super loaded sophomore class. Hopefully at some point he will change his mind.

Bull19
09-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
He quit last Friday, that makes 8 that were on varsity to quit. Hope the coaches talk to him and get him back, he will be a D1 player come his Sr year.

WHY DID HE QUIT?

Bull's-eye
09-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Hey Bull19, did you see the "Genius" last Friday night?

How about those Disciples?

Bull19
09-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Hey Bull19, did you see the "Genius" last Friday night?

How about those Disciples?

I DID. I BECAME VERY ENLIGHTENED. THE SPIRIT WAS RUNNING THROUGH ME. VERY SPIRITUAL.;)

IT WAS AN HONOR TO BE GRACED BY THEIR PRESENCE.

Brahma84
09-04-2007, 06:55 AM
Josh Browning was not at the Santa Fe scrimmage or the Sealy game. Said that he had to quit to get a job to help with family finances. However, he was back at practice Tues. I guess everything got worked out. Three new guys also came out for the JV team. Spears, Robinson and Pickett. All juniors. Also heard for sure the Columbia game is going to be in Brazosport.

KL3
09-04-2007, 07:55 AM
Good news on all 4 of those guys coming out. Thanks again for the info '84.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
09-04-2007, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Brahma84
Josh Browning was not at the Santa Fe scrimmage or the Sealy game. Said that he had to quit to get a job to help with family finances. However, he was back at practice Tues. I guess everything got worked out. Three new guys also came out for the JV team. Spears, Robinson and Pickett. All juniors. Also heard for sure the Columbia game is going to be in Brazosport.

Good news about Browning, he is to good of player to not be on the team. Now lets work on getting the rest of the Srs. back, and get Abbs back from Waller.:D

I still say the game sould not be no further than West Columbia. Make a long trip even further for our football players. Maybe the boys will have a charter bus.

Bull19
09-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Maybe the boys will have a charter bus.

its gunna be a big yellow one with numbers on the back of it;)

g$$
09-04-2007, 06:02 PM

I still say the game sould not be no further than West Columbia. Make a long trip even further for our football players. Maybe the boys will have a charter bus.

Why go on & on about 20+ more miles? WC is renovating their stadium (finally) & delays could not be helped b/c of the weather. It's not that big of a deal. Just go to WC & stay on Hwy 36 to Freeport. Hopper Field is a very nice hs stadium. Once you are there, you will be glad for the change. It's basically a neutral site for gosh sakes at a better stadium - like a playoff game. Play the game!

One year in the 1980s Sweeny had to play EVERY game on the road due to construction at the home stadium (deemed unsafe so made it really nice to this day). Theme was "On the Road Again" & it became a rallying cry. Nobody made excuses & the team had a great year & eventually lost deep in the playoffs. You do what you have to do & then get after it on Friday nights.

Bull19
09-04-2007, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by g$$
It's basically a neutral site for gosh sakes at a better stadium - like a playoff game. Play the game!

neutral site??? do you even know where bellville is?

g$$
09-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
neutral site??? do you even know where bellville is?

Duh - yes I do. Been there many times & have lots of good friends from there I met at A&M (Hubbard, Goodwin, Glenwinkle, etc.). Nice town & nice people. The game is not at WC High School is it? It is closer to WC than Bellville, but still not their home field. So yes, it could be called a neutral site. Hopper Field is home to Bport & Bwood, not WC.

Just play the game & get over it. The situation could not be helped. I am quite sure WC would much rather be playing at Griggs Field. Not that big of a deal in the long run. Still a road game for you, just 20+ miles further.

necks_c/09
09-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Duh - yes I do. Been there many times & have lots of good friends from there I met at A&M (Hubbard, Goodwin, Glenwinkle, etc.). Nice town & nice people. The game is not at WC High School is it? It is closer to WC than Bellville, but still not their home field. So yes, it could be called a neutral site. Hopper Field is home to Bport & Bwood, not WC.

Just play the game & get over it. The situation could not be helped. I am quite sure WC would much rather be playing at Griggs Field. Not that big of a deal in the long run. Still a road game for you, just 20+ miles further. really who cares....

the kids from bellville are gonna come and play and would probably never know the difference if you didnt tell them....

whats the big deal?

just play.... its not as if 20 miles is gonna make yall play bad or something.....

quit makin a mountain out of a mole hill

Bull19
09-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Why go on & on about 20+ more miles? WC is renovating their stadium (finally) & delays could not be helped b/c of the weather. It's not that big of a deal. Just go to WC & stay on Hwy 36 to Freeport. Hopper Field is a very nice hs stadium. Once you are there, you will be glad for the change. It's basically a neutral site for gosh sakes at a better stadium - like a playoff game. Play the game!

One year in the 1980s Sweeny had to play EVERY game on the road due to construction at the home stadium (deemed unsafe so made it really nice to this day). Theme was "On the Road Again" & it became a rallying cry. Nobody made excuses & the team had a great year & eventually lost deep in the playoffs. You do what you have to do & then get after it on Friday nights.

"like a playoff game"

for playoff games the neutral site is also neutral locations. or at least as close to neutral as possible

necks_c/09
09-04-2007, 06:30 PM
"like a playoff game"

for playoff games the neutral site is also neutral locations. or at least as close to neutral as possible who cares..... it isnt a playoff game....

he was just making a comparison.....

if it was a playoff game we would play halfway.... but its not so get over it

g$$
09-04-2007, 06:31 PM
"like a playoff game"

for playoff games the neutral site is also neutral locations. or at least as close to neutral as possible

Really? Thanks for that nugget. In this special case, I would call it a neutral site - neither team's home field. It could NOT be helped. Still a road game at a better stadium. Get over it.

You're just mad because it's not in Rosenberg or Richmond. Be safe & enjoy the game.

Bull19
09-04-2007, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Get over it.

You're just mad because it's not in Rosenberg or Richmond. Be safe & enjoy the game.

yes it could have been helped.....and no crap we r mad cause its not in rosenberg or richmond

necks_c/09
09-04-2007, 06:37 PM
yes it could have been helped.....and no crap we r mad cause its not in rosenberg or richmond like i said.... get over it....

and guess what.... its a free country....

do u know what that means?

if u dont feel like driving..... u dont have to go.

and just because u come on here complaining about how far away it is, it aint gonna change anything

g$$
09-04-2007, 06:38 PM
yes it could have been helped.....and no crap we r mad cause its not in rosenberg or richmond

OK - please tell us how it could have been helped. Can you predict weather delays? Can you reserve home stadiums months in advance in September? I think not. WC did the best they could do under the extreme circumstances. You SHOULD win this game anyway. Enjoy beautiful Hwy 36 (lol), hit a good seafood restaurant, enjoy the game, & be safe. Not that big of a deal.

BTW, if this was truly a playoff game, then you would have a point. You do NOT in this case.

Bull19
09-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by g$$
at a better stadium - like a playoff game. Play the game!

im just going by what u said

neck_06
09-04-2007, 06:42 PM
if you want to complain about the distance then DON"T GO!

also, bellville was the home team last year weren't they? why would columbia want to play at a stadium closer to bellville (richmond or rosenburg) again.....b-port is still somewhat of a home field for the necks....drive safe.

g$$
09-04-2007, 06:49 PM
im just going by what u said

And you understood my point. I know the difference b/t a playoff game & regular season game, thanks. I played & have been around a while too. You are the one making a big deal out of nothing. You SHOULD win anyway. Now go play the game & drive to see it only if you wish. Pretty simple really.

And, still neutral to me b/c neither team calls Hopper Field home.

Bull's-eye
09-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Looks to be a 100 mile trip for Bellville. MapQuest states it will take an extra 35 mins going to Freeport. Total average time jumps to 2 hrs and 15 mins.

g$$
09-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Looks to be a 100 mile trip for Bellville. MapQuest states it will take an extra 35 mins going to Freeport. Total average time jumps to 2 hrs and 15 mins.

It will take you around 2 hrs. now. MapQuest is always on the long end. About 25 extra miles x 2 for return trip.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
09-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
if you want to complain about the distance then DON"T GO!

also, bellville was the home team last year weren't they? why would columbia want to play at a stadium closer to bellville (richmond or rosenburg) again.....b-port is still somewhat of a home field for the necks....drive safe.

Then why would Bellville want to go further than WC? 35 mins is a big differance for some people, your coach did a good job in keeping some Bellville fans at home on this one. Next home and home Bellville could move it to Bryan, and see how that is liked by Fans having to travel 35 mins furter than Bellville!

neck_06
09-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Then why would Bellville want to go further than WC? 35 mins is a big differance for some people, your coach did a good job in keeping some Bellville fans at home on this one. Next home and home Bellville could move it to Bryan, and see how that is liked by Fans having to travel 35 mins furter than Bellville!

ok, i'm no map expert but i do drive from west columbia to bryan/college station pretty often (going through bellville) and i've noticed that its a lot longer than 35 minutes from bellville to bryan.......but i'm through arguing. the game is in b-port. get over it.

BrahmaMom
09-05-2007, 12:11 AM
Ok, guys, I'm back. Not going to say much except y'all quit bickering--it's only Tuesday and I sense a bit of a stir come Friday! I know Coach Chancellor tried to get a neutral site, but was unsuccessful. Better to drive further and save that success for the field! GO BRAHMAS!

g$$
09-05-2007, 01:48 AM
ok, i'm no map expert but i do drive from west columbia to bryan/college station pretty often (going through bellville) and i've noticed that its a lot longer than 35 minutes from bellville to bryan.......but i'm through arguing. the game is in b-port. get over it.

Taking the long way buddy - & you know I have driven to B/CS a few hundred times myself from Sweeny! I tried it every which way & the fastest is still the backroads outside of Needville (avoiding Rosenberg) to Brookshire, on up to Hempstead, & then Hwy 6 on into town. Curvy but faster route. Going to Brenham is longer by about 15 minutes unless you know something I do not. I have made it door to door in less than 2 hrs. (but usually about 2:05-2:10).

Good luck this year too Neck_06.

scrub c
09-05-2007, 06:38 AM
"like a playoff game"

NEUTRAL - Not taking sides in a conflict such as war; nonaligned.
Favouring neither the supporting nor opposing viewpoint of a topic of debate; unbiased.

Just because neutral is between reverse and drive in your pickup truck does not mean that a neutral site is between West Columbia and Bellville...

I lol every time I read about a bellville fan posting how unfair it is to have to drive thru WC to play a game. BTW... on your way to FLEAPORT stop by WC and check out the stadium. It looks to be finished, but I hear they still have to tack down the edges and around the goalposts and repair the track where their equipment chewed up the track in areas.

Bull19
09-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by scrub c
NEUTRAL - Not taking sides in a conflict such as war; nonaligned.
Favouring neither the supporting nor opposing

I lol every time I read about a bellville fan posting how unfair it is to have to drive thru WC to play a game. BTW... on your way to FLEAPORT stop by WC and check out the stadium. It looks to be finished, but I hear they still have to tack down the edges and around the goalposts and repair the track where their equipment chewed up the track in areas.

favouring neither the supporting nor opposing

im not talking in between. im talking travel time.

last time i checked 30 min drive for columbia compared to a 2 and a half hour drive for bellville means that it favors columbia in travel time a little more:thinking: w/e im done tallking bout this.

p.s. why would i care about stopping and looking at a field we aren't playing at?????

neck_06
09-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Taking the long way buddy - & you know I have driven to B/CS a few hundred times myself from Sweeny! I tried it every which way & the fastest is still the backroads outside of Needville (avoiding Rosenberg) to Brookshire, on up to Hempstead, & then Hwy 6 on into town. Curvy but faster route. Going to Brenham is longer by about 15 minutes unless you know something I do not. I have made it door to door in less than 2 hrs. (but usually about 2:05-2:10).

Good luck this year too Neck_06.

i usually go back roads to wallis, then through sealy and bellville to hempstead, then up 6.....usually takes 2 to 2 hours and 15 minutes.

i've got family in the wallis/orchard/east bernard area, so i usually drop in when i drive through...

Bull19
09-05-2007, 10:34 AM
i usually go back roads to wallis, then through sealy and bellville to hempstead, then up 6.....usually takes 2 to 2 hours and 15 minutes.

i've got family in the wallis/orchard/east bernard area, so i usually drop in when i drive through...

dont go to bellville -hempsted

go bellville,brenham, somerville, through snook and then cs......but it also depends on what side of town u live on.....if u live close to campus or byran that is the way to go

JDOG
09-05-2007, 11:13 AM
favouring neither the supporting nor opposing

im not talking in between. im talking travel time.

last time i checked 30 min drive for columbia compared to a 2 and a half hour drive for bellville means that it favors columbia in travel time a little more:thinking: w/e im done tallking bout this.

p.s. why would i care about stopping and looking at a field we aren't playing at????? And it should. It is their home game, not Bellvilles. Easy enough.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
09-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by JDOG
And it should. It is their home game, not Bellvilles. Easy enough.

Yes it is a home game for WC, that didnt mean the coach had the right to make the Vistors travel further than WC did when it was a home game for Bellville!!!!!

BrahmaDAD70
09-05-2007, 03:21 PM
25 Miles or 250 Im not missing this one.
Im looking for Bellville to open up the offense
this week. Returning players havent forgot last years
opening playoff loss and will be looking for some payback.
Last Week I had Bellville 28 and Sealy 14
Close but no cigar. Bellville wins 35-7

This Week Bellville 35 Columbia 10

g$$
09-05-2007, 04:37 PM

Gotcha. My route is curvy but I found it to be the fastest. Of course I drive too fast too. I went thru Brenham once years ago & vowed never to do it again on the way back to CS. Scenic drive & great in the spring (bluebonnets, etc.) but longer.

g$$
09-05-2007, 04:41 PM
dont go to bellville -hempsted

go bellville,brenham, somerville, through snook and then cs......but it also depends on what side of town u live on.....if u live close to campus or byran that is the way to go

Snook is for Chilifest, not the best route from Sweeny to CS! Way longer route & not most direct path going that way. For you, going that way is probably the best from Bellville.

BTW, if it takes you 2.5 hrs. to get from Bellville to Freeport, then you have done something wrong. It should take you around 2 hrs. driving the speed limit & with no problems.

scotty
09-05-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm convinced I, too, have a problem. I read all of this foolishness.

Brahma84
09-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Getting back to actual football. Here are some game stats from the Bellville/Sealy game, from the Bellville Times. First downs-Bellville 19 Sealy 8; Total yards Bellville 381 Sealy 165. Garrett Nunn carried 23 times for 201 yards, Runnels 11 for 50. Again the defense played well. This young Bellville team needs to keep working hard, but things may not be as bad as everyone had been predicting. We'll have to see how they play against a stronger team.

buff4life
09-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Yes it is a home game for WC, that didnt mean the coach had the right to make the Vistors travel further than WC did when it was a home game for Bellville!!!!! \

maybe it couldn't have been helped...we just played Wimberley...thatz two hours for us, actually two and a half due to traffic...

scrub c
09-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Yes it is a home game for WC, that didnt mean the coach had the right to make the Vistors travel further than WC did when it was a home game for Bellville!!!!!

well I heard the coach found out how good bellville was and decided to make them drive an extra hour to get to freeport so they would be all tired out from the bus ride and would not play good so the 'Necks would have a chance to win. (at least that is what I heard)...;)

Bull's-eye
09-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Brahma84
Getting back to actual football. Here are some game stats from the Bellville/Sealy game, from the Bellville Times. First downs-Bellville 19 Sealy 8; Total yards Bellville 381 Sealy 165. Garrett Nunn carried 23 times for 201 yards, Runnels 11 for 50.

Thanks for the stats! I knew Nunn had a good game, but didn't think he had over 200 yards. He also scored 2 TD's.

tortilla_man
09-05-2007, 09:19 PM
if your having to drive so far might as well go fish at san luis pass or something.

Uncle Buck
09-05-2007, 09:19 PM
WINE and Cheese.................mmmmm.

BrahmaDAD70
09-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by tortilla_man
if your having to drive so far might as well go fish at san luis pass or something.

That what I was thinking but I have to come back to Bellville.
I wish they would let the players go after the game so we can stay in Freeport and fish. Thats not going to happen.
I cant stay without him afterwards.
I just dont want any wild parties at home while im out fishing.
Im sure my son would love that.

Bull19
09-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by BrahmaDAD70
I wish they would let the players go after the game so we can stay in Freeport and fish. Thats not going to happen.

FILM SAT. MORNING

JDOG
09-06-2007, 01:14 PM
well I heard the coach found out how good bellville was and decided to make them drive an extra hour to get to freeport so they would be all tired out from the bus ride and would not play good so the 'Necks would have a chance to win. (at least that is what I heard)...;) He better move it about 8 hours away then. I don't believe 2 hours will be enough for WC against them. BVille-24 WC-7

gato 76
09-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Stadium is almost ready... but sadly, we will not play on it Friday night.

some updated pics from the school's website http://www.cbisd.com/chs/CHSsports/griggsthumbs.htm

Wow that looks great,wish bay city memorial stadium would get a upgrade like that.Looks like a great place to have a playoff game.

necks_c/09
09-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by tortilla_man
if your having to drive so far might as well go fish at san luis pass or something. hey thats crazy cuz i work at slp pier:)

necks_c/09
09-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by JDOG
He better move it about 8 hours away then. I don't believe 2 hours will be enough for WC against them. BVille-24 WC-7 im pretty sure scrub was being facetious(sp.)

Bull19
09-06-2007, 07:51 PM
im pretty sure scrub was being facetious(sp.)

i dont think he was

necks_c/09
09-06-2007, 07:59 PM
i dont think he was yea, lets put it this way, i know for a fact he was.....

i know the man and how he acts and thats just another smart a$$ comment of his...

all though i do find them funny

he was making fun of all the bellville whiners about a extra 25 min

Bull19
09-06-2007, 08:04 PM
yea, lets put it this way, i know for a fact he was.....

i know the man and how he acts and thats just another smart a$$ comment of his...

all though i do find them funny

he was making fun of all the bellville whiners about a extra 25 min

give it bout 27 more hours and we will see who is doing the whining then;)

necks_c/09
09-06-2007, 08:13 PM
thats allright.... its not like i expected us to go 3-0 in nondistrict....

were young but talented, but thats why we have non district, to work out the kinks...

come district well be ready....

btw.... i expect a good game from our team....

if bellville comes in expecting to have their way with us they may be surprised with what they get in return

Bull19
09-06-2007, 08:22 PM

if bellville comes in expecting to have their way with us they may be surprised with what they get in return

whats that. shut yall out and win by 50?:p

neck_06
09-07-2007, 09:16 AM
gameday!! have the bellville people left for the game yet? might need to get on that.....its a pretty long trip, especially since that mean ol coach from columbia moved the game so far away! ;)

buff4life
09-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by BrahmaDAD70

I KNOW I WOULD!!...wild party with no alcohol of course:D :D

g$$
09-07-2007, 09:25 AM
gameday!! have the bellville people left for the game yet? might need to get on that.....its a pretty long trip, especially since that mean ol coach from columbia moved the game so far away! ;)

They're leaving after lunch just to make it by game time! Expect at least a 4 hour trip to travel down Hwy 36. With all the talk, that 2 hour drive has gotten way longer. J/K

Y'all be safe & have a good time visiting Brazoria County...where Texas began you know!

Bull19
09-07-2007, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by g$$

Y'all be safe & have a good time visiting Brazoria County...where Texas began you know!

nacogdoches is considered the oldest town in texas

according to the texas almana san antonio is considered the first official permenant civilian settlement....i dont see where brazoria county fits into the picture?

g$$
09-07-2007, 10:03 AM
nacogdoches is considered the oldest town in texas

according to the texas almana san antonio is considered the first official permenant civilian settlement....i dont see where brazoria county fits into the picture?

West Columbia was the 1st Capital of the Republic of Texas. Washington on the Brazos was the 1st Capital of the State of Texas. Right?

Stephen F. Austin lived in Jones Creek for a while (statue now outside Angleton). Lots of history in the area, Indians, etc. Buff up on your history buddy! My late Dad was the President of Brazoria County Historical Society & of Sweeny too. He knew his stuff believe me, much more than I do.

All I know is anyone who knows history gives WC credit for it, & they have a big monument & park saying so. Carry on...

g$$
09-07-2007, 10:10 AM
Go to www.thefacts.com & see the paper's promo about the county..."Where Texas Began"

Bull19
09-07-2007, 10:12 AM
well austin county was the first county in texas so in your face

Bull19
09-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Go to www.thefacts.com & see the paper's promo about the county..."Where Texas Began"

technicality

g$$
09-07-2007, 10:16 AM
well austin county was the first county in texas so in your face

Dude, I hope you are kidding because it's not that big of a deal. I was simply stating history after you doubted me, can't change it now. WC was the 1st Capital of the Republic of Texas.

Congrats on your county...whew!

Bull19
09-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Dude, I hope you are kidding because it's not that big of a deal. I was simply stating history after you doubted me, can't change it now. WC was the 1st Capital of the Republic of Texas.

Congrats on your county...whew!

i thought columbia was??? why do some people call the town west columbia, and others columbia???? please explain

g$$
09-07-2007, 10:27 AM
i thought columbia was??? why do some people call the town west columbia, and others columbia???? please explain

Now referred to as Columbia HS (Columbia-Brazoria ISD). City limits sign still says West Columbia. For years it was West Columbia HS, like when we played them at Sweeny. East Columbia is on Hwy 35 heading towards Angleton. I think they may have wanted to lose the directional reference. I am sure also there are other reasons. Others can help there...

But, going back in history West Columbia was the 1st Capital of the Republic. Brazoria County is not the most scenic or greatest place to vacation, but it is full of history, refineries, good schools, & good people.

Bull19
09-07-2007, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by g$$

But, going back in history West Columbia was the 1st Capital of the Republic. Brazoria County is not the most scenic or greatest place to vacation, but it is full of history, refineries, good schools, & good people.

what are you a politician?......ill agree with one thing...definintly not the most scenic or greatest for vacation

g$$
09-07-2007, 10:39 AM
what are you a politician?......ill agree with one thing...definintly not the most scenic or greatest for vacation

Not a politician, just honest. I'm not asking you to move there. Heck, I live in Houston. But not a bad place to grow up & lots of good memories. I'll take the Bay City to Freeport corridor & put it up against anywhere in the state (same size) & let's put together an all-time team of football players (or other sports). Lots of fine athletes have come out of that area. Lots of pros & D1 studs from that corridor (Bay City, Van Vleck, Sweeny, WC, Lake Jackson, Freeport, Angleton, etc.). That takes in part of Matagorda County too of course.

Trivia: According to DCTF, Angleton has the most kids in the NFL right now of ANY school in the state of Texas (Jammer, Hall, Gardner, Willis). Sweeny had 3 (Layne, Woodard, Garrett) a couple of years ago & now down to 1 (rookie Higgins). The guy credited with performing the 1st end zone dance (NFL Network says so too) was from Sweeny: Elmo Wright.

I'll let you know when I run for office! Or not.

Bull19
09-07-2007, 10:43 AM
bellville wins by 17 tonight

g$$
09-07-2007, 10:49 AM
bellville wins by 17 tonight

They should, WC is young & rebuilding. WC will play hard & give you a game though.