PDA

View Full Version : I'm baaaccckkkkkk

toby070
11-26-2002, 09:44 PM
Sorry folks, Region IV went down the tubes, I couldn't find ANY time to get caught up, but this is the one I've waited for all year, and I'm THRILLED that it is at Bobcat Stadium! For those of you who haven't been there, Bobcat has fieldturf, same stuff as Wimberley and Victoria, a new endzone facility, and holds 14,000 - 16,000 fans. An awesome choice as a nuetral site, and I suspect both decks on both sides will be full. Trust me, it's an open-ended stadium, but it'll rock with a packed house.

I can't wait for this game....you guys picking 14 point spreads either way I think are way off base, but I guess that is what they play the games for. I suspect this one goes down to the wire, and for the sake of district 25-3A, I'd like to see Burnet squeeze out a win. They have been disrespectred by many this year, and a win against a proven team like Sinton would be huge.

My concern all year on Burnet has been on the defensive side of the ball, and they seem to have that together now. It's hard to tell, but it looks like they are peaking at the right time. I've read some other threads, and trust me, Miller IS a fast RB, and is very strong too. Schmidt is a stud, if he can covewr Shipley 1 on 1, Sinton may give Burnet trouble. If they have to focus other defenders on Shipley, Miller will hurt them.

Again, can't wait...can't believe this one is being played in my hometown!!!!!!!!!

bohemian
11-26-2002, 10:16 PM
Hey Toby070,

Nice to hear from you. How have you been? I have to say it was difficult for me at the beginning of the season but now it's 10 times worst. Seeing the Leps advance in the playoffs just brings back great memories. Josh is doing well but he misses football. We have talked and he is going to go out for Blinn and then transfer to Sam Houston State.

Pudlugger
11-26-2002, 10:55 PM
bohemian:
Hey Toby070,

Nice to hear from you. How have you been? I have to say it was difficult for me at the beginning of the season but now it's 10 times worst. Seeing the Leps advance in the playoffs just brings back great memories. Josh is doing well but he misses football. We have talked and he is going to go out for Blinn and then transfer to Sam Houston State.Bohemian, pardon me for intruding in your conversation here, but I am so glad to here Josh is going to be playing ball again! When he graduated last fall I was surprised he wasn't planning on playing. All State linebackers as good as Josh should play d1 or d1aa football. I expect he will be making some heads turn at Blinn next year. Good luck to him. :)

toby070
11-26-2002, 11:00 PM
Bohemian, I've been great! My son is many years away from HS age, but I really felt a sense of loss when Slaughter, Meeks and friends graduated. I spent two years following those guys from the sidelines, and they were a great bunch of kids. I didn't cover Wimberley this year, and I missed it, but it wouldn't have been the same with those guys gone anyway.

Don't know if you are a Notre Dame fan, but if you watched ND vs Navy, the quarterback who came in when the starter went down (for Navy) is from Wimberley...Aaron Polanco. He looked pretty good at times. He wasn't an option QB in high school, and I've heard that Navy may open up some to suit his talents more closely next year.

toby070
11-26-2002, 11:03 PM
BTW, you know my thoughts on the kind of player Josh is...I wish him luck. If he ends up at Sam Houston, there is a chance him and Mikey Meeks will be playing together...Mikey was considering trying to walk on there last time I talked to his folks.

Old Dog
11-26-2002, 11:26 PM
Toby, good to have you posting. Glad you updated us on Meeks. Still thought someone would give him a direct shot at playing and Palanco playing is really cool. I still think many Div I coaches underestimate 3A talent.

We in Burnet are really high on this group of young men and loads of them are back next year. Do you agree with a lot of students of the game that Sinton and Burnet are a lot alike. I'm too biased to honestly evaluate. Seeing these kids you watched in peewee football do so well is just something to make you proud. You can't get the smile off some of the old peewee coaches! We're also proud of Coach Shipley and his crew. These men would be assets to any community even if they didn't coach.

Anyway, I think there will be a full house at Bobcat Saturday. Gotta be a good game...just has to be!

toby070
11-29-2002, 09:08 AM
Old Dog, I only know Sinton by reputation, but as I'm sure you know, I've been very high on Burnet since the beginning of the season. I covered Wimberley for the SM newspaper during their two year run of success, and after seeing Burnet last year, I knew they'd be a very good team this year.

Here's how I see this game. Sinton has the playoff experience, and that counts for a lot. I think, and I may be wrong, that their offense may be a little more one-dimensional. Burnet's offense reminds me of the Flower Mound team a few years ago that won state. They run a spread offense, but they'll spread the field and then run on you if they can. They are one of the few teams I've seen that is downright explosive either through the air or on the ground. They don't favor one method over the other, they take what works.

You also have to me more and more impressed with Burnet's scgedule as the season goes on. Two of their Class 4A victims are still rolling. Harker Heights' only loss is to Burnet while Reagan has only 2 losses, one courtesy of the Dawgs. Don't forget Marlin and Burnet are still alive.

I can't wait to see how this turns out. I'm crushed, becasue I live in San MArcos but am out of town until Saturday afternoon, so I won't be there to see this one live! Curse the luck.

A down to the wire game may favor Sinton, but then again, maybe not. I don't see this one as more than a 7 point game either way. I'll say Burnet 28, Sinton 24, a little bit more low scoring than expected.

Ps...y'all will love Bobcat Stadium!

Old Dog
11-29-2002, 01:58 PM
Toby, would love to have beaten Heights, but we beat Shoemaker instead. Thanks for your insight on the game. Whoever wins this one still has two "BIG" mountains ahead of them.