PDA

View Full Version : Region II Game of the Week: Gilmer vs. (2A) Tatum

charlesrixey
09-03-2007, 09:48 AM
Gilmer won last year 45-21 and has already shut out a top 10 La team last week.

Tatum looks for revenge without Lennon Creer

lostaussie
09-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Tatum is 1-0 after beating Daingerfield 48-20. As for us, I did not go to the game. I could have gone and seen Vernon though as I was right there. Richwood, I was told were big and fast but very undisciplined. Made my heart feel good to know that we have evidently moved a few studs to defense. If we get a defense as good as we had in 04' everybody better lookout.

Gsquared
09-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Im picking Gilmer in this game but I really think this game will be close as in the winner wins by a touchdown or less.

Gsquared
09-03-2007, 03:22 PM
Rix, Tatum is 1-0 too, they beat Daingerfield Friday

BILLYFRED0000
09-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Gilmer rolls. Tatum is not as good as last year and Gilmer is just better. Probably about the same as last years score.

Gsquared
09-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Gilmer rolls. Tatum is not as good as last year and Gilmer is just better. Probably about the same as last years score. BillyFred, im thinking Tatum will be just as good as last year, tons of speed on the corners and more size on the O Line. I think they will not miss a beat without Creer. I think Gilmer might be a tad better than they were last year as well. However, I think Taum really has a chance to upset Gilmer and I would not be the least bit suprised if they do. You gonna try and make it to the game?

BILLYFRED0000
09-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
BillyFred, im thinking Tatum will be just as good as last year, tons of speed on the corners and more size on the O Line. I think they will not miss a beat without Creer. I think Gilmer might be a tad better than they were last year as well. However, I think Taum really has a chance to upset Gilmer and I would not be the least bit suprised if they do. You gonna try and make it to the game?

Possibly. I just think that D'field is weak this year and they still
put some points on the board. It will probably be a track meet.
Gilmer will execute better and make less mistakes.

Gsquared
09-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Possibly. I just think that D'field is weak this year and they still
put some points on the board. It will probably be a track meet.
Gilmer will execute better and make less mistakes.
Dfield pound for pound has just as good of athletes as anyone, espcially Herndon, problem is, thier motors run high and there is NO discipline over there. Dfield scored on a Tatum miscue and the other TD came on thier second team D. There is no margin for error for Gilmer or Tatum in this game. Whoever gets a break wins this game of course. I think Tatum will be in position to win it late. Not sure if they will capitalize or not but they will be there. Well dang it, you coulda met me and Papa G at Sweet Sues for dinner before the game.

BILLYFRED0000
09-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Dfield pound for pound has just as good of athletes as anyone, espcially Herndon, problem is, thier motors run high and there is NO discipline over there. Dfield scored on a Tatum miscue and the other TD came on thier second team D. There is no margin for error for Gilmer or Tatum in this game. Whoever gets a break wins this game of course. I think Tatum will be in position to win it late. Not sure if they will capitalize or not but they will be there. Well dang it, you coulda met me and Papa G at Sweet Sues for dinner before the game.

Well what I have heard is that Gilmer decided that defense matters again. They fell in love with their high octane offense last year but found again that D wins championships. If their d has got some of their studs they will stop Tatum more often than Tatum stops them. I think Tatum is good once again but replacing creer will take them a few games. Once they hit their stride they will be fine. While D'field has athletes, they do not have coaching. Gilmer does. If D'field had coaching they would have discipline.

lostaussie
09-03-2007, 06:57 PM
this is a very interesting conversation, but i'm all about some sweet sue's:D

Cameron Crazy
09-03-2007, 06:57 PM
The bigger school wins.

kaorder1999
09-03-2007, 08:34 PM
this will be a good one

charlesrixey
09-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Rix, Tatum is 1-0 too, they beat Daingerfield Friday
oops!

i must've missed it in the scoreboard!

I don't know that overall gilmer is better than last year, but they are more balanced

however, the reference to the 04 defense was interesting

they gave up a ton in the playoffs, didn't they?

could've sworn

icu812
09-04-2007, 12:37 PM
BillyFred, im thinking Tatum will be just as good as last year, tons of speed on the corners and more size on the O Line. I think they will not miss a beat without Creer. I think Gilmer might be a tad better than they were last year as well. However, I think Taum really has a chance to upset Gilmer and I would not be the least bit suprised if they do. You gonna try and make it to the game?

I agree completely G.

2 Tatum boys played as true freshman for the Tenn Vols against Cal on TV Sat. They have 3 or 4 more D1 players in class of 2008 and they have pretty good coaching. I would be surprised if Gilmer rolls over Tatum. If I had to choose I'd say Gilmer in a close one but I wouldn't bet anything on it.

BILLYFRED0000
09-04-2007, 12:42 PM
I won't go to this game much as I would like. But I sure think it could be a good one. What I want to see is if Gilmer decides to make a run at playing defense this year. That is the real story here to follow.

Gsquared
09-04-2007, 08:59 PM
I won't go to this game much as I would like. But I sure think it could be a good one. What I want to see is if Gilmer decides to make a run at playing defense this year. That is the real story here to follow. Well, from what I understand they played some of that talent on O over on D some the other night. Thats something they didnt do last year. Think they put Snow at NG.

Franklin's Towe
09-05-2007, 12:00 AM
Regular season victories have never been a problem for Gilmer under Coach Traylor.

Gilmer's problem seems to be what I describe as the "Tony Romo Problem." Romo started off in his first 5 games last year, but after teams had a chance to analyze films, he cooled off.

Gilmer rolls through their regular season schedule with ease, but it seems as if opposing coaching staffs make adjustments against Gilmer and Gilmer continues to play their game, without any adjustments, especially defensively. Then the Buckeyes go from the "Romo Problem" to the "Phoenix Suns' Complex" and abandon defense all together and just try to put as many points as possible on the board.

Gilmer is a great team and this should be an East Texas classic, but in the end I think the Buckeyes gamble once too many, failing to convert a late two point conversion and the Eagles come out with a 35-34 victory.

IHStangFan
09-05-2007, 07:42 AM
I know Tatum is usually a force in 2a...but will this even be a contest?

Aesculus gilmus
09-05-2007, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Franklin's Towe
Regular season victories have never been a problem for Gilmer under Coach Traylor.

You're right. That's why your prediction makes no sense.

The funniest thing about this game is that Tatum gave up the home field because a promoter convinced its coach that it could "possibly" be on Fox.

Failing that, for sure, it'd be on some local station, the Eagle faithful were told.

Instead, Tatum just gives up a home game and Gilmer fans have a shorter drive to one of our "unofficial" home fields.

pirate4state
09-05-2007, 09:01 AM
SO, it's not gonna be on FSN? :(

Gilmer by 14

Txbroadcaster
09-05-2007, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Franklin's Towe

Gilmer's problem seems to be what I describe as the "Tony Romo Problem." Romo started off in his first 5 games last year, but after teams had a chance to analyze films, he cooled off.

Gilmer rolls through their regular season schedule with ease, but it seems as if opposing coaching staffs make adjustments against Gilmer and Gilmer continues to play their game, without any adjustments, especially defensively. Then the Buckeyes go from the "Romo Problem" to the "Phoenix Suns' Complex" and abandon defense all together and just try to put as many points as possible on the board.

Gilmer is a great team and this should be an East Texas classic, but in the end I think the Buckeyes gamble once too many, failing to convert a late two point conversion and the Eagles come out with a 35-34 victory.

You act like Gilmer has went one round and out every year under Traylor

They have won a State Title and been eliminated by the eventual State winner two other years.

lostaussie
09-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
You act like Gilmer has went one round and out every year under Traylor

They have won a State Title and been eliminated by the eventual State winner two other years. such a kind remark from an educated poster:thumbsup:

Gsquared
09-05-2007, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
I know Tatum is usually a force in 2a...but will this even be a contest?
Oh heck yeah it will be a contest. I am picking Gilmer but part of me is thinking Tatum will take this game. Either way, it will be a close hard fought game.

charlesrixey
09-05-2007, 06:34 PM
i think tatum will be up for this one,

but it will be a lower scoring game than the last affair

21-10 Gilmer

DU_stud04
09-05-2007, 07:46 PM
im picking gilmer by2

KingRob
09-06-2007, 05:57 AM
Gilmer will strike early and run with it.

Gilmer - 35
Tatum - 13

Aesculus gilmus
09-06-2007, 05:03 PM
http://www.teamline.cc/sportpage?teamcode=4274&eventcode=20

http://www.gilmerbuckeyes.com

You can listen online to this game through either link, depending on whether you want the Tatum or Gilmer point of view. It kicks off at 8 p.m.

BILLYFRED0000
09-06-2007, 10:40 PM
Looks like my prediction was right. Gilmer plays better D and rolls.
Tatum misses their horses.

pirate4state
09-06-2007, 11:17 PM
Oh heck yeah it will be a contest. I am picking Gilmer but part of me is thinking Tatum will take this game. Either way, it will be a close hard fought game. heehee :p :p

71-21 was the last update I received...wow...

BILLYFRED0000
09-06-2007, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
heehee :p :p

71-21 was the last update I received...wow...

Final 71 28.

charlesrixey
09-07-2007, 07:07 PM
wow

that's quite a statement

what was Gilmer's offense running most of the night?

have they found a good qb?

or are they just running it all over the place?

their defense sure has improved

Buckeye80
09-08-2007, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey

what was Gilmer's offense running most of the night?

have they found a good qb?

or are they just running it all over the place?

Darian Godfrey, the QB, is a sophomore. He saw a little game time last year behind GJ, but he is going to be very good.
The offense probably broke down to about 70/30 run/pass. Tatum just had no answer for the size of the line and the size of the "beast" (Justin Johnson) running at them all night. They could've put all eleven guys in the box and not slowed him down. He is something special to watch.
The defense is very young, but very aggressive, and they are all sure tacklers. Defensively, we got beat by a few long plays, but held Tatum's offense in check the majority of the night. And putting David Snow in at nose guard occasionally never hurts.
:D