PDA

View Full Version : South Texas 3A Rankings (week 0)

Bull Butter
09-02-2007, 04:39 PM
After 1 week of play, a week in which all 16 South Texas 3A schools were in action, we have 11 undefeated teams and 5 winless ones. 5 schools took on 4A squads, going 4-1 in those games- Congrats to those teams:clap:

1. PROGRESO RED ANTS (1-0, beat Mission 7-6)- I mean, come on, who else should be # 1 this week?????
2. INGLESIDE MUSTANGS (1-0, beat Tuloso-Midway 22-6)- Good win for the Mustangs, not as decisive as last year. Perhaps the Warriors are improved.
3. RIO HONDO BOBCATS (1-0, beat Weslaco East 51-0) Bobcats looking strong and should continue to do so as their schedule is mediocre at best.
4. WEST OSO BEARS (1-0, beat Falfurrias 33-0) Good start for the Bears, this team should be in the playoffs out of 30-AAA when it's all said and done
5. PORT ISABEL TARPONS(0-1, lost to Edcouch-Elsa 41-33). PI lost, but only Sinton played an opponent as tough as La Maquina Amarilla this week and we know how that turned out.
6. HIDALGO PIRATES (1-0, beat Mercedes 29-19) This was nearly as surprising as the Progreso win. Hidalgo is supposed to be a re-building team and Mercedes was hoping to challenge E-E in 32-AAAA
7. ORANGE GROVE BULLDOGS(1-0, Beat Banquete 34-0) OG should probably be ranked higher, but you don't get brownie points for beating up on an average 2A squad
8. RAYMONDVILLE BEARKATS (1-0, beat Premont 49-6) you get even fewer points for beating up on weak 2As, although the Cowboys won this game last year
9. LYFORD BULLDOGS (1-0, beat Hebbronville 34-14) Lyford probably should be higher, but I don't think they're as good as OG and Raymondville
10.LA FERIA LIONS (1-0, beat Brownsville St. Joseph 46-0) St. Joe may be the worst football team in all of Texas
11. ZAPATA HAWKS (1-0, beat Carrizo Springs 27-6) Beating up on bad 3A teams gets you no points either
12. ARANSAS PASS PANTHERS (1-0, beat San Diego 13-7) Barely beating a bad 3A is even worse
13. SINTON PIRATES (0-1, lost to Cuero 53-0) This score could have been a lot worse, but in their defense,they were playing Cuero and not some 2A
14. SAN DIEGO VAQUEROS (0-1, lost to Aransas Pass 13-7) I will give them some credit for hanging tough with the Panthers
15. MATHIS PIRATES (0-1, lost to Odem 27-6) Getting drubbed by a 2A is never good, even if it is Odem
16. FALFURRIAS JERSEYS (0-1, lost to West Oso 33-0) Welcome to the cellar, Jerseys. Let's hope your stay here is a short one

Until next week.......................

piratebg
09-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter 15. MATHIS PIRATES (0-1, lost to Odem 27-6) Getting drubbed by a 2A is never good, even if it is Odem

This was kind of a surprise for me. Last year the score was the other way around.

Bull Butter
09-02-2007, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
This was kind of a surprise for me. Last year the score was the other way around.

Odem is usually a pretty solid 2A team

footballgal
09-02-2007, 06:21 PM
Yeah Red Ants, I got the Red Ant Fever - well until the Tarpons play them of course :D

Fal44
09-02-2007, 06:25 PM
we should be moving up in your ranks pretty soon...

Ray_BearKat
09-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Fal44
we should be moving up in your ranks pretty soon...

who do yall play next week?

Fal44
09-02-2007, 10:03 PM
roma, and after that well play mathis.

burnet44
09-02-2007, 10:25 PM
break up the ants

http://www.progreso-isd.net/images/ant.jpeg

burnet44
09-02-2007, 10:32 PM
http://www.progreso-isd.net/schools/high/ROTC/JROTC_files/slide0002_image010.gif

Bull Butter
09-02-2007, 11:26 PM
Nice, 44. I know those kids in Progreso work as hard as anyone. Good to see them get recognized!

Cameron Crazy
09-02-2007, 11:30 PM
b44. I have never heard of the red ants, maybe they will win state this year! :D

Bull Butter
09-02-2007, 11:35 PM
I wouldnt go that far, but the Red Ants are obviously no longer a 3A doormat!

footballgal
09-02-2007, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
b44. I have never heard of the red ants, maybe they will win state this year! :D

Ok Cameron Crazy, let's not go Crazy now! :D

footballgal
09-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
http://www.progreso-isd.net/schools/high/ROTC/JROTC_files/slide0002_image010.gif

I hope you dont' mind burnet44, but I shared your banner of the reds ants - on the RGV board thread - "Congratualtions Progreso" I gave you credit for it of course. :)

big daddy russ
09-03-2007, 02:36 AM
I have no problem taking a backseat to Progreso. Congrats to those kids.

And Bull, glad you're doing this again this year.

footballgal
09-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
And Bull, glad you're doing this again this year.
+1

burnet44
09-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
I hope you dont' mind burnet44, but I shared your banner of the reds ants - on the RGV board thread - "Congratualtions Progreso" I gave you credit for it of course. :)

np
thought it was cool
the school web site has nothing on it

GO ANTS STING 'EM

footballgal
09-04-2007, 12:58 PM
The upset heard ’round the Valley

Sep 4, 2007
armandog@valleystar.com
The upset heard ’round the Valley

Everyone is talking about “the upset” that started the 2007 football season. Sure, you might think I’m talking about Appalachian State’s 34-32 shocker over then-No. 5 Michigan at the Big House on Saturday.
While that’s a big shock on the national scale, that’s not the upset I’m referring to.
Progreso’s 7-6 win over Class 4A playoff favorite Mission High last week is the talk of the Valley High School football scene right now.
How did they do it? Good ol’ fashioned effort.
Ask any coach and they’ll tell you that while they often may come up short on the scoreboard, the Red Ants of coach Elvis Hernandez are never short on effort.
“I saw them getting beat last year and those kids were still fighting,” one coach told me. “They always fight ’til the end.”
That’s what small teams like the Red Ants can do best. Play hard and with a lot of pride.
A scoreless game until the fourth quarter, Mission got on the board first.
But just like the Mountaineers of Appalachian State, special teams came through for the Ants.
Progreso blocked the point-after attempt and ultimately won the game because of it.
Down 6-0 with just over three minutes to go, the Red Ants punched the ball in when Juan Vega scurried into the end zone from 12 yards out. The all-important extra point by Victor Perez and subsequent defensive stand gave Progreso arguably its biggest win since the 1990 season finale at Lyford that earned them a three-way slice of the district title.
Kudos to Hernandez and his staff for prepping these kids. Everyone always loves a David beating Goliath story and this one is no exception.
Don’t you forget about us
While a lot of people were preoccupied with the “Big Three” of 32-3A (Port Isabel, Rio Hondo and La Feria) most of the pub the Hidalgo Pirates got in the offseason was for their new navy blue playing surface at Bill Pate Stadium.
Apparently, they can play some good football, too.
While I’m being sarcastic with that statement, coach Jorge Peña and his Pirates pulled out a surprising 29-19 win over the favored Mercedes Tigers last week.
Quarterback Oscar Perez was magnificent, rumbling for 188 yards and three touchdowns in Peña’s scheme that made a star of Randy Reza at San Benito and produced the Valley’s only 2,000-yard rushing quarterback.
The Pirates bottled up the Mercedes running game for the most part, holding the Tigers to 98 yards rushing, and got a little revenge for a 37-point drubbing the Tigers handed them last year.
This is one tough district, top to bottom. I can’t wait until the district season starts .
Getting defensive
Now, while not as high-profile as the “upset heard round the Valley,” Rio Hondo blitzed Weslaco East 51-0 at Bobcat Stadium. East was only able to muster up 53 yards against the Cats’ D.
I don’t want to jinx coach Gus Cavazos and defensive coordinator Rocky James’ unit, but they have not allowed a touchdown in 2007 as of yet.
Well, they’ve only played one game, you say? I was also counting two scrimmages. The three times the Bobcats have put on the pads, they have not allowed a touchdown. Simply amazing.
That “Black Plague” defense over in Rio Hondo is gonna be a force to be reckoned with for sure.
Winning with “Es”
Congrats to new La Feria coach Elifonso Esquivel for winning his La Feria debut, a 46-0 pasting of Brownsville St. Joseph’s.
As the defensive coordinator for the Lions the past seven seasons, Esquivel and his staff established a reputation for hard-nosed defense .
Times haven’t changed.
The Lions allowed a paltry 42 yards to the Bloodhounds en route to the shutout. La Feria’s new spread offense looked good too, as the Lions were able to pass the ball with ease and run it too. A big congrats goes out to Esquivel, his assistants and, of course, the team.
The Lions have a big game with neighborly rival Mercedes on Friday.
Almost, but not quite
The Port Isabel Tarpons came up short of ending Edcouch-Elsa’s regular-season winning streak in a 41-33 loss to the ’Jackets.
The Tarpons had 306 yards of offense, but in the end just could not get the stops when they needed vs. La Maquina.
They’ve got a big game coming up with a little revenge on their minds as they travel to Raymondville to take on coach Alex Leal and the Bearkats.
Primetime players
Here are the noteworthy performances of Week Zero in the district: ¸ Hidalgo’s Perez had the 188 yards and three scores (35, 35, 26) in Hidalgo’s win over Mercedes. ¸ Progreso’s Mando Garcia had 117 total yards (86 passing, 31 rushing) in Progreso’s big win . ¸ Rio Hondo’s offense gets the nod, rolling up 431 yards of offense against Weslaco East. ¸ La Feria’s Jonathan Perez and Randy Rodriguez combined for 176 yards and 2 TDs against St. Joe. ¸ Last, but certainly not least, Port Isabel’s Nolan Nuñez had 87 yards rushing, including a nifty 67-yard scoring run in the Tarpons’ close loss to E-E.
Armando Garza covers District 32-3A for the Valley Morning Star. He can be reached at 956-430-6255 or at armandog@valleystar.com

Armando Garza
32-3A notes
Valley Morning Star