View Full Version : Cowboys QB coach suspended for substance abuse? wow

kaorder1999
09-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Cowboys' QB coach suspended for substance violation

Wilson believed to have received HGH, steroids

01:14 AM CDT on Sunday, September 2, 2007
By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News
tarcher@dallasnews.com

IRVING – Having lived with diabetes for more than 20 years, Wade Wilson said he was looking to improve his quality of life by taking what he now knows is a substance banned by the NFL.

On Saturday, the league suspended Mr. Wilson, the Cowboys' quarterbacks coach, for the first five games of the season and fined him $100,000 for violating its policy on performance-enhancing substances.

Mr. Wilson acknowledged to the NFL that he purchased and used the substance last fall when he was serving as Chicago's quarterbacks coach. He joined Wade Phillips' Dallas staff in February.

"It was strictly my decision," he said. "Nobody recommended me to this product. I did not recommend anybody to this product. This was strictly my own decision, and I'm paying the consequences right now."

Mr. Wilson's suspension came a day after New England safety Rodney Harrison was suspended for the first four games of the season without pay. The moves stem from an investigation by the Albany, N.Y., district attorney's office into an alleged Internet scam involving an Orlando, Fla., pharmacy. The probe centers on performance-enhancing drugs, such as anabolic steroids and human growth hormone, and professional athletes.

In February, state and federal agents raided two Orlando pharmacies, but Mr. Wilson did not make the connection.

"I thought it was a legitimate place," he said. "I had a prescription for everything. I talked to a doctor. I had no concerns about it at all."

Mr. Wilson spent 19 years playing in the NFL for five teams, including the Cowboys from 1995 to 1997. This is his second term with the Cowboys as an assistant coach. He was the team's quarterbacks coach from 2000 to 2002 under Dave Campo.

"It's very tough because I'm a Dallas kid – Commerce," Mr. Wilson said. "And since I've been out of school, I played for the team I love. I'm coaching for the team I love. Same hometown as my kids now. It's very embarrassing that I would bring embarrassment to the Cowboys and to my kids. That part is very, very tough.

"Then to be taken away five games from something I love, that's very, very difficult as well. But there again, I understand that the commissioner holds us in high regard and players, and if it's five games and a $100,000 fine, who am I to say it's wrong?"

Mr. Wilson would not say what substance he used, but he said it was only for a short time, because it adversely affected his blood sugar.

"The thing that I was taking said that they would improve the symptoms that I was having due to complications from diabetes," he said. "I can't say I took it long enough to give it a try. ... To say that it benefited me or not, I can't really say."

Mr. Wilson said he first met with representatives of the Albany DA's office and NFL Security on Aug. 17, and on Aug. 21, he flew to New York to meet with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

"There was no way I was trying to deceive anybody," he said. "I'm not street savvy. If I was trying to hide something, I wouldn't have put it on the credit card. I'm not trying to be flip about this, but I had no idea this was illegal or against league policy."

Mr. Wilson hoped Mr. Goodell would show leniency based on the coach's record as a player and reason for taking the substance. Since taking over for Paul Tagliabue last year, Mr. Goodell has been vigilant on player conduct.

In his meeting with Mr. Goodell, Mr. Wilson said, the commissioner told him he holds those in authority on a team to a higher standard than players.

"We understand and support the commissioner's decision," said Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones, who, with Mr. Phillips, also expressed support for Mr. Wilson.

Mr. Wilson said the severity of the punishment took him by surprise. The $100,000 fine represents a significant cut in pay.

"I was hoping that the intent might have some bearing on that, but obviously it didn't," he said.

Mr. Wilson is eligible to be reinstated Oct. 9. Until then, he can have no contact with the team or the players and is barred from the Valley Ranch practice facility.

"The fact that I'm lumped in with cheaters, I have to accept that," he said. "I'm a cheater, but unknowingly a cheater."

Fal44
09-02-2007, 02:34 PM
coach taking banned substances, whats new? :D

Emerson1
09-02-2007, 02:35 PM
5 games is stupid. Shawn Merriman only got 4, and he is a player and he was taking them to get an unfair advantage. The coach took them to make his standard of living better.

JasperDog94
09-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
5 games is stupid. Shawn Merriman only got 4, and he is a player and he was taking them to get an unfair advantage. The coach took them to make his standard of living better. I understand the rule, but I agree. Why does a coach get a longer suspension than a player?:crazy: :crazy:

piratebg
09-02-2007, 04:27 PM
I'm still kind of scratching my head on that one too.