PDA

View Full Version : Cuero Chupacabras ????

Ranger354
09-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Has a Mythical Beast Turned Up in Texas?
AP
Posted: 2007-09-01 01:09:48
Filed Under: Weird News
CUERO, Texas (Sept. 1) - Phylis Canion lived in Africa for four years. She's been a hunter all her life and has the mounted heads of a zebra and other exotic animals in her house to prove it.

Photo Gallery: Strange Roadkill
Eric Gay, AP Phylis Canion holds the head of what she calls a chupacabra, or "goat sucker," at her home in Cuero, Texas, Friday. She found the animal dead outside her ranch and thinks it killed many of her chickens.
1 of 4
But the roadkill she found last month outside her ranch was a new one even for her, worth putting in a freezer hidden from curious onlookers: Canion believes she may have the head of the mythical, bloodsucking chupacabra.

"It is one ugly creature," Canion said, holding the head of the mammal, which has big ears, large fanged teeth and grayish-blue, mostly hairless skin.

Canion and some of her neighbors discovered the 40-pound bodies of three of the animals over four days in July outside her ranch in Cuero, 80 miles southeast of San Antonio. Canion said she saved the head of the one she found so she can get to get to the bottom of its ancestry through DNA testing and then mount it for posterity.

She suspects, as have many rural denizens over the years, that a chupacabra may have killed as many as 26 of her chickens in the past couple of years.

"I've seen a lot of nasty stuff. I've never seen anything like this," she said.

What's Your Take?

What tipped Canion to the possibility that this was no ugly coyote, but perhaps the vampire-like beast, is that the chickens weren't eaten or carried off - all the blood was drained from them, she said.

Chupacabra means "goat sucker" in Spanish, and it is said to have originated in Latin America, specifically Puerto Rico and Mexico.

Canion thinks recent heavy rains ran them right out of their dens.

"I think it could have wolf in it," Canion said. "It has to be a cross between two or three different things."

She said the finding has captured the imagination of locals, just like purported sightings of Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster have elsewhere.

But what folks are calling a chupacabra is probably just a strange breed of dog, said veterinarian Travis Schaar of the Main Street Animal Hospital in nearby Victoria.

"I'm not going to tell you that's not a chupacabra. I just think in my opinion a chupacabra is a dog," said Schaar, who has seen Canion's find.

The "chupacabras" could have all been part of a mutated litter of dogs, or they may be a new kind of mutt, he said.

As for the bloodsucking, Schaar said that this particular canine may simply have a preference for blood, letting its prey bleed out and licking it up.

Chupacabra or not, the discovery has spawned a local and international craze. Canion has started selling T-shirts that read: "2007, The Summer of the Chupacabra, Cuero, Texas," accompanied by a caricature of the creature. The $5 shirts have gone all over the world, including Japan, Australia and Brunei. Schaar also said he has one.

"If everyone has a fun time with it, we'll keep doing it," she said. "It's good for Cuero."

necks_c/09
09-02-2007, 09:02 AM
theres already a thread on this... but o well

AP Panther Fan
09-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Ranger354
Canion has started selling T-shirts that read: "2007, The Summer of the Chupacabra, Cuero, Texas," accompanied by a caricature of the creature. The $5 shirts have gone all over the world, including Japan, Australia and Brunei. Schaar also said he has one.

LOL....I wonder if 44inarow and Old Green have t-shirts yet.:D

I would wear one as long as it didn't have the actual picture of one of these ugly creatures on it.

Ranger Mom
09-02-2007, 09:11 AM
My son has a blue heeler with hereditary sarcoptic mange! When she had one of her "bouts" with it and lost all of her hair, she looked very similiar to the pictures I have seen posted of the Chupacabra!

AP Panther Fan
09-02-2007, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
My son has a blue heeler with hereditary sarcoptic mange! When she had one of her "bouts" with it and lost all of her hair, she looked very similiar to the pictures I have seen posted of the Chupacabra!

I guess it looks no worse than those ugly hairless cats (my brother-in-law has one)....yuk

necks_c/09
09-02-2007, 09:18 AM
http://www.snopes.com/photos/gruesome/chupacabra.asp#photo

go to that to see a real chupacabra.....

that will make u have nightmares

necks_c/09
09-02-2007, 09:19 AM
then click the picture to enlarge it

Ranger Mom
09-02-2007, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I guess it looks no worse than those ugly hairless cats (my brother-in-law has one)....yuk

Most of her hair is back now. But she when she came down with it and lost everything, her skin got tough and scaley and she was bleeding all over and she stunk to high heaven.....she looked like an alien.

In hindsight, we should have just had her put down and if she comes down with it again, we probably will.

It was strange that the vet said it was hereditary, I guess she got it from some ancestor because I have the dad, and he's 10 y/o and has never had it. My son has the mom who is about 4, and she hasn't either!!

AP Panther Fan
09-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Most of her hair is back now. But she when she came down with it and lost everything, her skin got tough and scaley and she was bleeding all over and she stunk to high heaven.....she looked like an alien.

In hindsight, we should have just had her put down and if she comes down with it again, we probably will.

It was strange that the vet said it was hereditary, I guess she got it from some ancestor because I have the dad, and he's 10 y/o and has never had it. My son has the mom who is about 4, and she hasn't either!!

It does sound painful.:( I never knew there was such a thing as hereditary mange. I guess there is no point in letting the dog suffer plus I assume you are putting the other dogs at risk since it is contagious, right?:(

Ranger Mom
09-02-2007, 09:41 AM
It does sound painful.:( I never knew there was such a thing as hereditary mange. I guess there is no point in letting the dog suffer plus I assume you are putting the other dogs at risk since it is contagious, right?:(

According to the vet, it is not contagious! Which is the only reason I let her in my yard. There are 5 dogs outside, her being one of them, and none of the others have shown any signs of having it!

Now that I have made my big speech on it, I am thinking it's not sarcoptic mange, but red mange!!

AP Panther Fan
09-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Now that I have made my big speech on it, I am thinking it's not sarcoptic mange, but red mange!!

lol...where is Vet93 when we need him?;) :D

Ranger354
09-02-2007, 10:17 AM
So where can I get a T shirt?

Old Green
09-02-2007, 10:25 AM
LOL....I wonder if 44inarow and Old Green have t-shirts yet.:D

I would wear one as long as it didn't have the actual picture of one of these ugly creatures on it. I keep forgetting to buy one, but I will soon:)

Old Green
09-02-2007, 10:30 AM
So where can I get a T shirt? At this little store in Cuero. I believe the shop is on Main Street.

3afan
09-02-2007, 11:02 AM
no one thinks this is a hoax/scam ??? :thinking:

:p

44INAROW
09-02-2007, 02:03 PM
So where can I get a T shirt?

This is the address and phone # of the store....
7C Unlimited
123 W MAIN ST
CUERO, TX
77954-3735
Phone: 361-275-2015

Ranger354
09-03-2007, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the shirt info. I will be up that way near the 27th of the month. I plan to get one for my brother.

The thing looks like a petrified pit bull head to me.......But still cool!

44INAROW
09-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the shirt info. I will be up that way near the 27th of the month. I plan to get one for my brother.

The thing looks like a petrified pit bull head to me.......But still cool!
I have pictures that Phylis emailed out the day after the "thing" was hit - much better view than on the "frozen" thing..... I can't find the pics on my computer here at home, I assume that they are at my work computer. I'll post if I can find them tomorrow

KingRob
09-03-2007, 12:42 PM
CUERO, TEXAS - Chupacabra capital of the world!

Just doesn't sound right.

Can I have two chupacabras with extra cheese and sour cream? There, that sounds better!!

I wanna t-shirt!!!:D :D :cool:

maroonpirate04
09-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Guess Cuero will be changing their mascot to the Chupacabras:D and later watch Sci-Fi make another movie "Chupacabra 2: Dark Lands" takes place in Cuero ranch:D

44INAROW
09-04-2007, 08:51 AM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j43/44inarow/101_1148.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j43/44inarow/101_1151.jpg

Ranger Mom
09-04-2007, 08:54 AM
That gives me the creeps!

Footballhudini
09-04-2007, 09:04 AM
...The chupacabra may be a sign from the Gods for another Cuero State Championship

LOL

underware
09-04-2007, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Footballhudini
...The chupacabra may be a sign from the Gods for another Cuero State Championship

LOL

That may be true!!!!