PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Woodrow Wilson (4A) vs. Atlanta

Aesculus gilmus
09-01-2007, 07:04 PM
This is turning out to be a helluva game.

With 1:43 left in the first half, the Atlanta Rabbits are shutting out the WW Wildcats, 10-0, in Mount Pleasant. I almost wish I'd gone to the game now.

The reason I'm interested is that Gilmer plays Atlanta the first week of October and it is a longtime rivalry.

WW went 10-0 in regular season last year and was an 11-point favorite tonight.

You can listen online here:

www.atlantarabbits.com

3afan
09-01-2007, 07:11 PM
saw WW vs Cove last year, they were impressive

Aesculus gilmus
09-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Atlanta leads, 10-0, at the half. The Rabbits are rapid and rabid tonight.

Coach Scharnberg, the original "three yards and a cloud of dust'er," has finally capitulated to modernity and started airing it out.

As Elmer Fudd would say, "The Wabbits are wunnin' the spwead!"

3afan
09-01-2007, 07:59 PM
update?

Aesculus gilmus
09-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Atlanta still leads 10-0 with four minutes left in the third quarter. The Rabbs are driving.

JR2004
09-02-2007, 01:16 AM
17-0 final on this one...Looks like the host of new move-ins at Woodrow might not be as good as the ones they've had come in the last few years.

Franklin's Towe
09-04-2007, 08:16 PM
I think most Rabbit fans are taking the position of Rabb coach Ben Scharnberg and are "cautiously optimistic" about the 2007 season.

As you know, the Rabbs traditionally play one of the toughest non-district schedules in the state and 2007 is no different with games against five 4A teams (Woodrow Wilson, Hallsville, Kilgore, Mt. Pleasant and Texas High) and one non-district game against one of the state's top 3A teams in Gilmer.

With that said, the Rabbs pulled over their biggest non-district win since their 2001 victory over Texas High.

While the Rabbs have abandoned the power running game for the spread offense, the Rabbs are still a "defense first" team and would take 2-0 wins all season long. It sounds like defensive coordinator Ronnie Melton has his defense where he wants them right now. Against, Wilson, they forced 6 turnovers and held them to 5 first downs (3 on penalties) and less than 100 yards in total offense.

Offensively, the Rabbits are still learning the nuances of a new offensive scheme. They managed 300+ yard in total offense against Wilson, but left at least 13 points on the field, missing two field goals and fumbling away a 55 yard pass play on the goal line.

The Rabbits two biggest weakenesses will be their special teams and their depth, they start 9 guys both ways, but they had many younger guys step up in the win over Wilson. The injury bug did raise it's ugly head as the Rabbits lost one of their 2 QB's to a knee injury and it's not known how long he will be out.

If the Rabbits can head into their district schedule 3-3, they will feel pretty good about their chances in district and beyond. If the team continues to gel and progress, there is no reason why they couldn't go 3 or 4 rounds deep in the playoffs.

Gsquared
09-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Franklin's Towe
I think most Rabbit fans are taking the position of Rabb coach Ben Scharnberg and are "cautiously optimistic" about the 2007 season.

As you know, the Rabbs traditionally play one of the toughest non-district schedules in the state and 2007 is no different with games against five 4A teams (Woodrow Wilson, Hallsville, Kilgore, Mt. Pleasant and Texas High) and one non-district game against one of the state's top 3A teams in Gilmer.

With that said, the Rabbs pulled over their biggest non-district win since their 2001 victory over Texas High.

While the Rabbs have abandoned the power running game for the spread offense, the Rabbs are still a "defense first" team and would take 2-0 wins all season long. It sounds like defensive coordinator Ronnie Melton has his defense where he wants them right now. Against, Wilson, they forced 6 turnovers and held them to 5 first downs (3 on penalties) and less than 100 yards in total offense.

Offensively, the Rabbits are still learning the nuances of a new offensive scheme. They managed 300+ yard in total offense against Wilson, but left at least 13 points on the field, missing two field goals and fumbling away a 55 yard pass play on the goal line.

The Rabbits two biggest weakenesses will be their special teams and their depth, they start 9 guys both ways, but they had many younger guys step up in the win over Wilson. The injury bug did raise it's ugly head as the Rabbits lost one of their 2 QB's to a knee injury and it's not known how long he will be out.

If the Rabbits can head into their district schedule 3-3, they will feel pretty good about their chances in district and beyond. If the team continues to gel and progress, there is no reason why they couldn't go 3 or 4 rounds deep in the playoffs.
Go Rabs! Playing 9 both ways is gonna hurt later on though.

Franklin's Towe
09-04-2007, 09:09 PM
The depth will obviously hurt, but luckily the Rabbits had a freshman step up at running back this past week and a couple of young receivers came out of no where.

It sounds like the Rabbs will try to maximize their speed advantage all year long, using members from their relay teams at the offensive skill positions.

BILLYFRED0000
09-04-2007, 10:04 PM
The depth will obviously hurt, but luckily the Rabbits had a freshman step up at running back this past week and a couple of young receivers came out of no where.

It sounds like the Rabbs will try to maximize their speed advantage all year long, using members from their relay teams at the offensive skill positions.

Speed kills. But any defense first team gets my vote. That's the way uh uh I like it uh uh.....

Franklin's Towe
09-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Speed kills. But any defense first team gets my vote. That's the way uh uh I like it uh uh.....

Me too Billy!

Defense has been the cornerstone of Atlanta football as long as Scharnburg has been in Atlanta, almost 20 years now. Ronnie Melton has been his defensive coordinator for the past 15 years. It's a defense built around speed and defensive pressure and not overly concerned with size.

BILLYFRED0000
09-04-2007, 11:35 PM
Me too Billy!

Defense has been the cornerstone of Atlanta football as long as Scharnburg has been in Atlanta, almost 20 years now. Ronnie Melton has been his defensive coordinator for the past 15 years. It's a defense built around speed and defensive pressure and not overly concerned with size.

That what I mean. Celina has been the same way ever since GA
came in the late 80's. It's no coincidence that our best seasons followed. And Butch Ford was GA's assistant for 25 years and took over after GA left. We do not have as much speed as Atlanta
probably will this year but our D is gonna attack attack attack. We read fast hit fast and get our O on the field fast. I think Atlanta is my darkhorse favorite this year in our region. I think Bboro ought to be good too. We may just have us a tough region this year.

Franklin's Towe
09-04-2007, 11:40 PM
That what I mean. Celina has been the same way ever since GA
came in the late 80's. It's no coincidence that our best seasons followed. And Butch Ford was GA's assistant for 25 years and took over after GA left. We do not have as much speed as Atlanta
probably will this year but our D is gonna attack attack attack. We read fast hit fast and get our O on the field fast. I think Atlanta is my darkhorse favorite this year in our region. I think Bboro ought to be good too. We may just have us a tough region this year.

I agree with you about Brownsboro. They shocked me last year and it sounds like they gave ya'll a pretty good game as well.

Celina is Celina and everyone knows they are going to be a force come playoff time. I don't say this in a cocky way, but I would love to see the Rabbits face Celina in the playoffs since we never have faced off.

What does Gainesville have this year? Have they totally fallen off the map?

BILLYFRED0000
09-04-2007, 11:54 PM
I agree with you about Brownsboro. They shocked me last year and it sounds like they gave ya'll a pretty good game as well.

Celina is Celina and everyone knows they are going to be a force come playoff time. I don't say this in a cocky way, but I would love to see the Rabbits face Celina in the playoffs since we never have faced off.

What does Gainesville have this year? Have they totally fallen off the map?

I don't know. They had some real political issues and ran off a good coach. The new guy started a new system last year and stepped on a lot of toes because he did not play people that had been played in the previous system. I do not know what they have coming back this year but they will be better than last year.
But I don't know really what is happening. They were great just 3 and 4 years ago.

Franklin's Towe
09-05-2007, 12:05 AM
I don't know. They had some real political issues and ran off a good coach. The new guy started a new system last year and stepped on a lot of toes because he did not play people that had been played in the previous system. I do not know what they have coming back this year but they will be better than last year.
But I don't know really what is happening. They were great just 3 and 4 years ago.

It looks like Madison might be down this year as well.

It's a shame that the Dallas Morning News doesn't do a very good job of covering 3A football. Even though I live in Dallas now, I know more about what's going on in East Texas 3A football than I do with the Metroplex 3A teams.

BILLYFRED0000
09-05-2007, 01:23 AM
It looks like Madison might be down this year as well.

It's a shame that the Dallas Morning News doesn't do a very good job of covering 3A football. Even though I live in Dallas now, I know more about what's going on in East Texas 3A football than I do with the Metroplex 3A teams.

I think DMN does ok with it. We have to compete with slc ya know. But Celina gets pretty good coverage. Roosevelt is the Dallas team to watch this year. Madison is young and will not be that strong this year. But I do not think any of the Dallas 3a teams will be a deep threat in the playoffs. The way I see it right now is that the 4 best teams in reg 2 might be
Celina
Bboro
Atlanta
Van
not necessarily in that order.
Commerce also might be coming up this year a little bit.