PDA

View Full Version : There's Talk..........

Tarpon2004
05-13-2003, 10:08 AM
There is talk that the UIL will be considering letting a 4th place team in the playoffs..........what are your opinions toward this matter?...........I personally think its dumb.....I believe that the 1st,2nd,and 3rd place teams earn their spot into the playoffs NUFF SAID............You can read more about this at
http://www.caller2.com/sports/index.cfm

<small>[ May 13, 2003, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Tarpon2004 ]</small>

pirate4state
05-13-2003, 10:42 AM
http://fp.funfiles.plus.com/anim_emoticons/ranting_on_about_something.gif

This is a bad idea, and a perfect example of why our youth have come to expect EVERYTHING given to them without earning it!!! The paper sites Corpus Christi's Carroll team, with a 4-6 record under an expanded postseaon would have made the playoffs??? A team with a losing record!!! I'm sorry, but if you have a losing record, you have NO BUSINESS competing in the playoffs!

It also sites that some schools would be in favor of adding another team, giving more students a chance to compete for a state title.

With the exception of Bandera this year, has another 3rd place team, gone on to win State??? Bandera's team no doubt worked their tails off for their victory and maybe a 4th place team can do it too, but what does this say to the 1st & 2nd place teams, try hard enough to be in the top 4 out of 6/7, and pretty soon the whole district will make it to the playoffs!

What I want to know is did they (UIL) think this up all by themselves or have some parents or school boards been buzzing in their ear???

DUMB, DUMB idea! Hopefully it will never come to pass.

http://fp.funfiles.plus.com/anim_emoticons/ranting_on_about_something.gif

jason
05-13-2003, 11:23 AM
i heard that was just basketball that would have 4 teams...i could be wrong though...

3afan
05-13-2003, 01:04 PM
heck, why not ??? its more playoff games for us to watch and talk about so what harm is it ?!?!?!??!

Keith7
05-13-2003, 03:34 PM
Callisburg a 2A school in our area made the playoffs this year with a 2-8 overall record..

Bandera YaYa
05-13-2003, 04:35 PM
Hey, Pirate, yes Bandera did work their butts off to even make it into the playoffs, as each game was tough, but we hung on. Ours was a true
Cinderella story, but that just made the victory that much sweeter, than if we were used to winning state, like some teams are expected to do year after year! I'm torn, one one hand, I agree with ..3afan.. why not have as many players try to go for the brass ring? AFter all, this is high school football, these are just young kids who all have dreams of winning it all. Sometimes we forget this. Sure, it's nice to win and be the Champ, but the road there is just as rewarding, if not more so. By the time we made it to Waco, that game was just the icing on the cake. Every ball player who gives their all deserves a chance. We were a 3rd place team and if only 2 teams made the playoff, well, we would have been playing basketball alot sooner! It's a great high school sport, but it's still only high school! (I know alot of people on this site would disagree with that statement...but they need to get a life!! :p :p )

Bandera YaYa
05-13-2003, 05:01 PM
Oh yeah, one more thing.....if a 1st or 2nd place team gets beat down the road by a lowly 3rd place team....it means that the 3rd place team played better than that 1st or 2nd place team. :D

pirate4state
05-13-2003, 05:04 PM
True. Check your PM.

BULLDOGFAN
05-13-2003, 09:39 PM
I agree Ya Ya, after this year with Bandera my thoughts have changed as to who should be in the playoffs. I mean most likely the fourth place team in division 25-3A is probaly a better team then many first place teams across the state. So why shouldn't they have a shot at state.

Make it a state wide - single elimination - playoff system. Last place plays first place in neighboring division, single elimination. More money for everybody and no excuses....

Birdman
05-13-2003, 09:52 PM
The only place where we should tolerate the "everyone gets a ribbon" plan is in Special Olympics. Two in the play-offs is the best plan, three is acceptable. Four teams in is merely embarrassing to the one team that misses the play-offs!! Yep, it's fun to go to the play-offs but we do need to keep it special enough to want to earn it.

Green Ranger
05-14-2003, 08:13 AM
This is just my opinion, but I think this idea is stupid and takes out some of the work in getting to play-offs. The other reason I dont agree with it, I understand some money needs to be made, but what is next a strike or walk out by the UIL. This is High School athletics people not the pro's. As far as the four teams I know of at least one district with only four teams that play everybody twice, and home and home. I think a team going into play-offs 0-10 would not be something to be proud of. This is not to make fun of Bandera, but think of a fourth place team go to and win state, possibly being 6-10, or whatever, Stupid in my opinion but hey this is just my two cents which is obviously needed by the UIL so here you go.

Specklebelly
05-14-2003, 09:34 AM
The UIL knows, just like everyone else, that adding a 4th team from each district would dilute the playoffs. You would also probably see some major blowouts with state powers playing 3-7 teams in the first round. I personally dont like it if they really are considering this. I can remember when only one team from each district got in and now they are talking about four.

Lets all be honest with ourselves though and face the driving factor in this even being considered. School districts across the state are facing budgeting shortfalls and a few extra playoffs games could generate a whole lot of the almighty $$$$$$$$. They want to add playoff games for the same reason the NCAA constantly wants to add more bowl games. Its all for the love of money, not the love for keeping the integrity of Texas High School Football.

Bandera YaYa
05-14-2003, 12:51 PM
Hey, Green Ranger, what is there to make fun of about BAndera? I can see you were trying to be nice, but don't understand that comment at all!!!Before I unload, I'll wait for your answer, just in case I have it all wrong! :)

Bandera YaYa
05-14-2003, 01:02 PM
Well, I can't wait. What if a 4th place team ends up winning State? Even with a not so good record...they have to play "better" teams to advance...and if they beat these better teams, what does that say about the better teams?? A game is played and there is a winner, past records and all that is in the past, the game that matters is that game being played at that time....so a 4th place team, OR A 3RD PLACE TEAM, ends up winning State! Well they must have played better than those better teams! Talk about the American way!!! All you people that sit on your laurels about past winning teams, like they should have the edge ...just because they were great last year, or the year before. Or maybe they are just still crying because their team didn't make it. Whatever! Sorry, had to get that off my chest...

Bandera YaYa
05-14-2003, 01:12 PM
AND a team with a 0-10 record just might have SOMETHING to be proud of, it's not anyone's right to say they don't...in your words, it is just High School football and not the Pros, where someone getting paid millions acts like a baby when he doesn't get another million that year! I'm sure a team with a bad record has players working their tails off, day in and day out, just like the winning teams...Come on!

whtfbplaya
05-14-2003, 01:23 PM
3afan:
heck, why not ??? its more playoff games for us to watch and talk about so what harm is it ?!?!?!??!I agree, it's more games to watch.

whtfbplaya
05-14-2003, 01:28 PM
Specklebelly:
The UIL knows, just like everyone else, that adding a 4th team from each district would dilute the playoffs. You would also probably see some major blowouts with state powers playing 3-7 teams in the first round. I personally dont like it if they really are considering this. I can remember when only one team from each district got in and now they are talking about four.

Lets all be honest with ourselves though and face the driving factor in this even being considered. School districts across the state are facing budgeting shortfalls and a few extra playoffs games could generate a whole lot of the almighty $$$$$$$$. They want to add playoff games for the same reason the NCAA constantly wants to add more bowl games. Its all for the love of money, not the love for keeping the integrity of Texas High School Football.Speck if it would give the schools some much needed money, the players another chance to play, the fans another game to watch, and the band and cheerleaders another chance to p**form, then why not

Green Ranger
05-14-2003, 01:58 PM
Ya Ya and others, I am not trying to take anything away from third place teams. I am not trying to say you didnt deserve to win, that day, yall out played us. We lost and I have said that time and again, congrats. My point is, my opinion is a team needs to work to get a second chance to get to the post-season. John Tyler for example, I have nothing against them as they have a great program and tradition as well, but I believe they were 2-8 this year and with this new format wold have made play-offs. I do not think it is fair for a team to get beat like that to have a second chance. That is my point, this is a money issue, high school sports should not be money related. You want it, you earn it from the get go.

pirate4state
05-14-2003, 03:03 PM
Green Ranger:
Ya Ya and others, I am not trying to take anything away from third place teams. I am not trying to say you didnt deserve to win, that day, yall out played us. We lost and I have said that time and again, congrats. My point is, my opinion is a team needs to work to get a second chance to get to the post-season. John Tyler for example, I have nothing against them as they have a great program and tradition as well, but I believe they were 2-8 this year and with this new format wold have made play-offs. I do not think it is fair for a team to get beat like that to have a second chance. That is my point, this is a money issue, high school sports should not be money related. You want it, you earn it from the get go.I agree, Green Ranger, high school sports should not be money related or motivated, but sadly IT IS! We're all probably gettin' riled up for nothing. :D

wildstangs
05-14-2003, 07:46 PM
Maybe even Merkel can get into the playoffs under this format.