PDA

View Full Version : Billy Pitmann suspended

Emerson1
09-01-2007, 12:45 PM
3 games for borrowing a car from a friend that has no ties to the university.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/09/01/0901texfoot_pittman.html

wookinpanub
09-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/09/01/0901texfoot_pittman.html

If merely borrowing a "friend's" car is all he did, I doubt it would ever have escalated to this level.

Someone needs to check out Charles Maund, Leif Johnson, etc

g$$
09-02-2007, 05:02 AM

Amateurism Rule - he knows it & so does the Texas Compliance Staff. Don't make excuses for him. He was suspended for a reason (3 games). Play by the rules, Texas or anybody else.

Phil C
09-02-2007, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Amateurism Rule - he knows it & so does the Texas Compliance Staff. Don't make excuses for him. He was suspended for a reason (3 games). Play by the rules, Texas or anybody else.

Why didn't something like this happen to AP at Oklahoma? Didn't he just "borrow" a car?

Emerson1
09-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Why didn't something like this happen to AP at Oklahoma? Didn't he just "borrow" a car?
It wasn't the NCAA who did it, it was Texas' own compliance department.

rockdale80
09-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Yeah, but that amateurism rule is not clear in some areas. Borrowing a friends car? I am pretty sure that isnt in there. It is a grey area.

yoemenkracker30
09-02-2007, 12:40 PM
what i was told is that it was actually a friend's car, however the university cannot distinguish between a friend, alumni, or donor therefore suspension

coach
09-02-2007, 12:53 PM
so how long is borrowing?? did he use it all semester? or was it like hey man can i borrow your car to run to the store to get some eggs bc my car is out of gas...personally i dont se what the big deal is in borrowing the car if you have to pay for gas and maintenance....

R3Editor
09-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by coach
so how long is borrowing?? did he use it all semester? or was it like hey man can i borrow your car to run to the store to get some eggs bc my car is out of gas...personally i dont se what the big deal is in borrowing the car if you have to pay for gas and maintenance.... Apparently receiving numerous campus parking tickets is long enough to constitute violation and more than just "milk and eggs".

JasperDog94
09-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Why didn't something like this happen to AP at Oklahoma? Didn't he just "borrow" a car? That's a great question Phil.

g$$
09-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by R3Editor
Apparently receiving numerous campus parking tickets is long enough to constitute violation and more than just "milk and eggs".

Good point. This falls under the "Amateurism Rule" regarding extra benefits. Texas has many full-time qualified people in Compliance who know the rules. They have meetings with coaching staffs & all players. Pittman screwed up & is paying the price of 3 games (he is hurt anyway).

Texas better worry about TCU & put this behind them ASAP.

Emerson1
09-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Good point. This falls under the "Amateurism Rule" regarding extra benefits. Texas has many full-time qualified people in Compliance who know the rules. They have meetings with coaching staffs & all players. Pittman screwed up & is paying the price of 3 games (he is hurt anyway).

Texas better worry about TCU & put this behind them ASAP.
It happened a week ago, I don't think it's gonna be on their minds still.

burnet44
09-03-2007, 05:38 PM
ya know Ol Dickerson "borrowed" a car from a Corps alum
and took it to SMU to drive

and SMU died after he left with the Corps "Trans AM" Car

Ol Dick made out good
free Corps car and a pro contract

SMU is still paying the price lol

g$$
09-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
ya know Ol Dickerson "borrowed" a car from a Corps alum
and took it to SMU to drive

and SMU died after he left with the Corps "Trans AM" Car

Ol Dick made out good
free Corps car and a pro contract

SMU is still paying the price lol

And I know the guy who bought that Trans Am too! Dickerson drove it to Dallas & parked it, then signed with SMU. Former Gov. Clements was involved too. And you are right, SMU will never be the same after the "Death Penalty".

g$$
09-03-2007, 05:41 PM
It happened a week ago, I don't think it's gonna be on their minds still.

21-13 vs. Ark State will be!

burnet44
09-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by g$$
And I know the guy who bought that Trans Am too! Dickerson drove it to Dallas & parked it, then signed with SMU. Former Gov. Clements was involved too. And you are right, SMU will never be the same after the "Death Penalty".

you shooting your mouth off?
I know where he lives and used to play gold with him
who is it and where does he live and play golf?

g$$
09-03-2007, 05:45 PM
you shooting your mouth off?
I know where he lives and used to play gold with him
who is it and where does he live and play golf?

Check PMs. And, not shooting mouth off either.

burnet44
09-03-2007, 05:50 PM
nothing here

g$$
09-03-2007, 05:53 PM
nothing here

Sent...

burnet44
09-03-2007, 05:59 PM
back

burnet44
09-03-2007, 06:04 PM
my bad
you have a clue

g$$
09-03-2007, 06:05 PM
my bad
you have a clue

Thanks, no problem. Hope to visit again on juicy topics!