PDA

View Full Version : what's the most embarrasing thing that ever happened to you during....

kaorder1999
12-10-2003, 03:31 PM
an athletic competition?

crzyjournalist03
12-10-2003, 03:57 PM
when I was playing little league baseball when I was about 12, I played right field. A ball was hit to basically straight away center. Doing what the outfielder is supposed to do, I started running over towards the ball to back up the center fielder (who was a hefty boy who really couldn't run very fast). I was probably the fastest guy on the team. With the ball literally one step to his right, he decided that since I was running so hard, he'd let me have the ball. By the time I realized that I was going to have to make the catch, I came running in as fast as I could toward the ball, but unfortunately, I ran too far, because the ball carried more than I was expecting...I ended up leaping as high as I could stretching and trying to make the catch, and the ball tipped off my glove. As I went back toward the dugout after the inning, I asked the center fielder what he was thinking and he said he thought I wanted to go for the ball. Anyway, by the time I sat down, the team decided that I had earned a new nickname, "Twinkle Toes" for my ballerina-esque antics in the outfield...needless to say, I soon convinced the coach to move me to the infield where I wouldn't have another fiasco like that again.

Jacket2000
12-10-2003, 04:08 PM
This was actually during a practice, but it's still pretty damned funny.
It was during my freshman year, and we were running a warm-up drill called "around the world", where you basicly just run pass routes, and since it was just a warm-up drill before practice, most of us didnt have our pads on yet.
Well, I was running a flag route at full speed(for those that dont know, that's where you run about 15 yards upfield and then break at an angle toward the sideline, and keep in mind that this was the one season I played sixman, so it's not exactly the ideal place to practice football)and I was watching the ball all the way. Then, just as the ball fell into my hands.....WHAM! I hit face first into a telephone pole! Knocked myself clean out and probably knocked about 6 inches of wood from the pole. But, when I woke up at least I still had the ball in my hands. LOL
J2K

therealbulldogs
12-10-2003, 04:27 PM
My isn't a funny one but it was plenty embarrasing. It happened during the district track meet my senior year. I had been working my butt of so I could win my district in discus. Warming up I had some awesome throws that no one could beat. When we got to the competition my first 2 throws went far enough to win it, but out of bounds. So to assure myself a place in the finals I decided that on my 3rd throw that I wasn't going to do my spin and instead I would just stand there and throw it. Well, I wound up and when I let the discus go it slipped out and went about 75 feet and I got last place. I was so furious that I grabbed that same discus and went to a field near by and threw it about 100 times. It still makes me mad! :mad:

crzyjournalist03
12-10-2003, 04:32 PM
can we talk about moments in which we embarrassed others during competition??? :D

bulldogvet85
12-10-2003, 04:41 PM
it was during a football game my junior year....

we were playing comfort we were killing them. they punted to us and I dropped back to block. I knocked over one guy and then I couldnt seem to find anyone to block and I didnt even know where the ball was. They always tell you never to turn around and look behind you on a punt or kick off return. well I was so lost as to where the ball was and what not that I turned around and as I turned around I ran face mask to face mask with my own team mate who was running the ball back. We hit hard I think he flew back the furthest. but man it was a hard hit. I was kinda mad though cuz I didnt get credit for the tackle :D

<small>[ December 10, 2003, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: bulldogvet85 ]</small>

Pudlugger
12-10-2003, 06:31 PM
It was my senior year playing for Chaffey High School, Ontario California, in 1963. We were playing Riverside Poly High School. It was 4th and 8 from the Riverside 42 yardline, Riverside possession, 6 minutes left in the fourth, 19-14 Riverside. Coach sent me in on fourth as DT. Everyone suspected a fake punt 'cause they didn't want to let us have the ball and score. The kicker was the best athlete on the Riverside team and in the District. They ran a single wing and he was Qb. He would run, throw and kick better than anyone in the District. The ball was snapped and I slipped my block and found myself running to the outside after the punter who was moving like a frieght train around the left corner. I hit him solid but didn't wrap him up. I slid on the turf looking up to see him go 60 yards for the TD. The punter was Bobby Bonds. Sadly, he died this year of lung cancer. He was a tremendous athlete.

jason
12-10-2003, 07:01 PM
my sophomore year, i shot an airball from the free-throw line in a varsity district game v. Canton...that was embarrasing...

poncho
12-10-2003, 08:32 PM
I received the opening kickoff and was involved in a helmet to helmet collision. I woke up at half time in the locker room. Angry because some old man (coach) was yelling at my friends. I keep telling him they were good guys. Hehe!! :cool: :D

<small>[ December 10, 2003, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: poncho ]</small>

therealbulldogs
12-11-2003, 12:00 AM
jason:
my sophomore year, i shot an airball from the free-throw line in a varsity district game v. Canton...that was embarrasing...I was a freshman on the JV and I also airballed a free throw. The refs and everyone was laughing at me!

geturgunzup
12-11-2003, 12:06 AM
I shot and make a basket in the wrong goal during a varsity district basketball game.

Ranger Mom
12-11-2003, 12:08 AM
I was running the 400 (back in the day it was the 440) and was in first place. As I was on the straight-away headed to the finish line, my little brother ran beside me on the grass shouting encouragement to me. I won the race, but was disqualified because of my brother. (I never knew there was any kind of rule against that!)I was embarrased, extremely upset, and mad at my poor brother (who felt REALLY bad) - I had stepped in for a girl who sprained her ankle and was never asked to run that race again! frown

kaorder1999
12-11-2003, 12:11 AM
in HS i was real big into track. Well..it became a tradition for me to "throw up" come mile-relay time. The weird thing is though...i was always the last leg and I wouldn't "throw up" after the race...i would always "throw up" as the third leg was rounding the last curve on his way to me...I would always step back onto the track just in time to take the stick and run my leg. Never was sick after the race though! Crazy huh?

CatWoman
12-11-2003, 09:44 AM
Back in the day, Ballinger participated in vollyball. It was during a tournament in Ballinger and we were playing Abilene High. I was arguing, err discussing a call with the ref, it was quiet and my mother yelled my name, first, middle and last, and told me to behave. I wanted to become invisible!

Keith7
12-11-2003, 12:30 PM
bulldogvet85:
it was during a football game my junior year....

we were playing comfort we were killing them. they punted to us and I dropped back to block. I knocked over one guy and then I couldnt seem to find anyone to block and I didnt even know where the ball was. They always tell you never to turn around and look behind you on a punt or kick off return. well I was so lost as to where the ball was and what not that I turned around and as I turned around I ran face mask to face mask with my own team mate who was running the ball back. We hit hard I think he flew back the furthest. but man it was a hard hit. I was kinda mad though cuz I didnt get credit for the tackle :D Mine is alot like this one.. but Last year (my senior year) we were playing pottsboro, and it was the last play of the end of the game, and pottsboro was trying to throw the ball down field... Well they tryed to go deep with it, and Terrius Purvey ended up interecepting it (he played corner alot lastyear).. i was playing line backer and i was looking for someone to block, I saw a group of Cardinals up on the right so i sprinted towards them hoping to make it to them before they could get to terrius, and right when i turned to go towards them i ran right into terrius knocking us both down and ended the game... Still to this day he says that i'm the only guy that could tackle him that day..

kaorder1999
12-11-2003, 04:05 PM
ttt

District303aPastPlayer
12-11-2003, 04:21 PM
it was my soph year, and odem didnt show up in sinton for our game. so we, not wanting to not play a game, we did a maroon/white scrimmage with some ground rules.
1. No rushing or returns on punts
2. No rushing on Extra points
3. 4th down punt, no option.
We had more, but thats all i remember. So I wound up deep snapping. and on a 4th and long, so i snapped it. and began jogging down field, and my friend, who saw this and was playing LB, took it upon himself to remind me of the rules, and layed me out. Needless to say, i will listen to rules alot carefully now

keep_it_real
12-11-2003, 04:28 PM
It was against Giddings in 2001, my senior year, they were the #1 team in the region and we had them 14-6 I think.....anyway at halftime we got all pumped up and the news was there by our huddle before we ran out the sign, I got too hype and just took off and after I got through the sign, I heard about 5000 ppl laughing, it took a second because I was in the zone, so I looked back and the rest of the team was standing back behind the sign looking at me with blank expressions..... then I look across from them and the camera man is laughing too.....needless to say later that night it was on the news.... and the broadcasters were clowning on me...they also put it on our highlight film that year as a blooper.....pretty embarrassing

afflac65
12-11-2003, 05:05 PM
I accidentaly walk in the womens restroom one time.

bulldogvet85
12-11-2003, 05:43 PM
afflac65:
I accidentaly walk in the womens restroom one time.yeah that happens to me all the time too!!! :D

Da Mules
12-11-2003, 08:39 PM
I was a sprinter back in the Stone Ages in high school in Montana. At one big track meet in Billings, another sprinter false-started and I went right with him.... we didn't hear the starter banging his gun trying to stop us. We blazed about 40 yards down the track all by ourselves before the spectators could shout us down...we both thought we were way out in the lead. The whole crowd had a big laugh on us as we walked back to the blocks.

lobo12
12-11-2003, 11:52 PM
ttt

kaorder1999
12-11-2003, 11:56 PM
bulldogvet85:

afflac65:
I accidentaly walk in the womens restroom one time.yeah that happens to me all the time too!!! :D i walked into the womens restroom in the press box at texas stadium just last week..hehe

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-12-2003, 08:42 PM
We Rockdale people have bad luck when it comes to run-through signs. Last year, on the Frosh team, they had just bought this new Velcro sign for us to run through and we were playing Bellville in Bellville. We get all pumped up and we head out to go through the sign. We start running through, and the Velcro wouldn't give. A countless number of my teammates all tripped over each other and there was a big pile of us...the only thing that saved me was my friend behind me pushing me up...I was the first to run through and felt like I was doing the limbo. It was very embarrassing and hurt and the crowd had a good laugh out of it as well...but I think our pride was hurt more than anything.