PDA

View Full Version : Week 0 - Suprises? Upsets? Your take

IHStangFan
09-01-2007, 03:56 AM
After browsing over some of the statewide scores here and there....here are a handful that caught my eye...

Monahans 41 - Snyder 32: I said it a handful of weeks back...I like Monahans from Reg I.

Argyle 38 - Iowa Park 13: Pretty sure someone was telling me a few weeks ago this one was gonna be all IP.

Royce City 49 - Kaufman 14: Royce City is already on the move..watch out!

LE 20 - PNL 21: from State Champs to losing a season opener. Hear they lost alot.

Gonzales 22 - Rockdale 16: Gonzales up or Rockdale that bad?

Hallsville 17 - Palestine 7: Pretty sure someone was telling me how Palestine was statebound.

Columbus 39 - Yoakum 0: WOW! I think this is a combo of things...A: Yoakum has fallen off the table, and B: Columbus might actually be better this year!

SA Holy Cross 27 - Hondo 14: What the heck happened to the Owls?

Lubbock 14 - Odessa Permian 69: DANG....Permian back in the drivers seat?

You guys have any that came as a suprise to you? Any thoughts on any of the games you saw last night? Let's share! :)

big daddy russ
09-01-2007, 04:01 AM
The Palestine score doesn't surprise me so much. Hallsville's a tough big school. Always been competitive in 4A. Made the playoffs last year, lost to...

Paris North Lamar, who beat Liberty-Eylau. I don't know anything about PNL other than they went a few deep in the playoffs last year.

R4Editor
09-01-2007, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Hear they lost alot.

Columbus 39 - Yoakum 0: WOW! I think this is a combo of things...A: Yoakum has fallen off the table, and B: Columbus might actually be better this year!

You guys have any that came as a suprise to you? Any thoughts on any of the games you saw last night? Let's share! :) Goliad getting pasted by 2a Karnes City 48-0. Yoakum might have a slow start before recovering and Hondo should rebound next week.

IHStangFan
09-01-2007, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by R4Editor
Goliad getting pasted by 2a Karnes City 48-0. Yoakum might have a slow start before recovering and Hondo should rebound next week. WOW..Goliad got pounded. I must have overlooked that score.

Old Tiger
09-01-2007, 04:42 AM
Rockdale played crappy. Bobbled snaps, fumbles, dropped passes, basically the works. Gonzales scored the go ahead td with under a minute to go.

Aesculus gilmus
09-01-2007, 06:50 AM
Gilmer 39, Richwood 0.

The Rams were the 10th ranked 3A school in Louisiana. I expected this to be a close game, even though since it was in Gilmer (where the Buckeyes haven't lost since 2002), we had to be considered the favorite going in.

Either our defense is way better than its legion of critics thought or Richwood had an off night in the extreme offensively.

sotex
09-01-2007, 08:45 AM
As I said before the season started the Hondo Owls are completely rebuilding. All of the skill position players from last year are gone and this years players are small and inexperienced. Several of them are seniors who stayed on JV last year to get better but it just didn't happen. In last nights game the Owls lost six fumbles, threw one int and had ten penalties. It did rain some during the game but that wasnt really a factor. These kids just arent ready for Friday nights.

VERNONLION#1
09-01-2007, 08:55 AM
I really thought Snyder would pick up where they left off but maybe not. I dont know much about Monahans so can someone fill me in.

VERNONLION#1
09-01-2007, 08:57 AM
After browsing over some of the statewide scores here and there....here are a handful that caught my eye...

Monahans 41 - Snyder 32: I said it a handful of weeks back...I like Monahans from Reg I.

Argyle 38 - Iowa Park 13: Pretty sure someone was telling me a few weeks ago this one was gonna be all IP.

Royce City 49 - Kaufman 14: Royce City is already on the move..watch out!

LE 20 - PNL 21: from State Champs to losing a season opener. Hear they lost alot.

Gonzales 22 - Rockdale 16: Gonzales up or Rockdale that bad?

Hallsville 17 - Palestine 7: Pretty sure someone was telling me how Palestine was statebound.

You guys have any that came as a suprise to you? Any thoughts on any of the games you saw last night? Let's share! :)

Surprised at the Decatur-Burk score. Anyone at this game who can give a report.

westtxfballfan
09-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by VERNONLION#1
I really thought Snyder would pick up where they left off but maybe not. I dont know much about Monahans so can someone fill me in.

Monahans was expecting to start slowly this year as they have a lot of juniors and 4 sophmores starting (maybe actually 3 and a fourth that plays a lot.) I had heard folks in Monahans say that with Snyder, Midland Christian, Andrews, and Graham to start the season, they could conceivably be 0-4 going into that weak district schedule. However, it was expected that they could grow up by playoff time, and be dangerous by then. However, they scrimmaged Greenwood (where the didn't fare too well) and A Wylie (hung in there), and they've made big time strides during the last three weeks according to folks at the Snyder game who'd seen all three matchups.

The strength of the team is the offensive line, where they have 4 returning starters (along with one of the sophs.) They are also very physical on both sides of the ball. Defense gave up 26 to Snyder (the other score being a kickoff return). They look a little faster ondefense than last year, but not very big on D.

They may have a QB controversy brewing as well: The senior starter split time last year and throws really well, but they have a mobile sophmore (6'1", 175) that is very good, too. His 7th and 8th grade teams never lost, and he started for the JV last year as a freshman. He's starting at safety right now to get some varsity game time, and played a little at QB against Snyder. The senior fumbled a couple of snaps, but throws a really good ball. He hit a lobo receiver on the money 10 yards behind the Snyder defense Thursday that the kid dropped or he'd have had another 60 yard TD on his stats. If they do change it up later, they have to find a way to get him (senior) on the field, too, as he is a 5'10", 180 lb athlete himself that would be wasting on the sideline.

The problem is the district schedule. If it doesn't soften them up too much, they can be tough come playoff time.

charlesrixey
09-01-2007, 10:11 AM
I think monahans wins against Midland Christian, but Andrews, which just beat MC 36-6, will be tough; also, they still have to play graham after that, but at least the loboes will know where they stand in west texas after that

Go 3-1 and they will be looking good for the playoffs; if they could beat graham, then they would be region favorites

however, i think they will be 2-2 or 3-1, depending on whether or not they take Andrews

westtxfballfan
09-01-2007, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
I think monahans wins against Midland Christian, but Andrews, which just beat MC 36-6, will be tough; also, they still have to play graham after that, but at least the loboes will know where they stand in west texas after that

Go 3-1 and they will be looking good for the playoffs; if they could beat graham, then they would be region favorites

however, i think they will be 2-2 or 3-1, depending on whether or not they take Andrews

That's probably a good call, except that I'm not ready to concede the Andrews game as I saw them last night as it's hard to gauge how good they are with MCHS' poor performance. Nice scouting gift for the Loboes: Since they played Thursday night, the entire team appeared to be in attendance Friday at Andrews watching their next 2 opponents play each other.

Da Mules
09-01-2007, 10:45 AM

Nah... that was just the Lubbock Westerners, a poor ol' school that is perenially out-recruited by Monterey and Frenship.

charlesrixey
09-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by westtxfballfan
That's probably a good call, except that I'm not ready to concede the Andrews game as I saw them last night as it's hard to gauge how good they are with MCHS' poor performance. Nice scouting gift for the Loboes: Since they played Thursday night, the entire team appeared to be in attendance Friday at Andrews watching their next 2 opponents play each other.

that is a good break for monahans--both opponents and the entire team gets to see it? nice!

big daddy russ
09-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Pleasanton 49
Devine 19

I know it's tough to lose a player like Chris West, but I thought Devine would still be salty. Is Pleasanton really that good, did Devine fall of the "Horse," (pun intended) or a little bit of both?

Here's a brief from the SA Express News.

Niko the great: Pleasanton's Niko Salinas completed 12 of 16 passes without an interception for 238 yards in the Eagles' 49-19 victory against Devine. He also had two rushing TDs.

IHStangFan
09-01-2007, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Pleasanton 49
Devine 19

I know it's tough to lose a player like Chris West, but I thought Devine would still be salty. Is Pleasanton really that good, did Devine fall of the "Horse," (pun intended) or a little bit of both?

Here's a brief from the SA Express News.

Niko the great: Pleasanton's Niko Salinas completed 12 of 16 passes without an interception for 238 yards in the Eagles' 49-19 victory against Devine. He also had two rushing TDs. yeah, from what I understand Pleasanton didn't lose a thing. That Salinas kid was an animal last year...now he's got another year of experience under his belt...playoff experience at that. I look for them to be better than last year and make some serious noise in Reg. IV.

BILLYFRED0000
09-01-2007, 05:01 PM
I was suprised at how much better I thought Robinson's defense looked. We should have scored a couple of more times but they were definetly better than last year. Their O was ok but the new QB is not Kitchens. I did think that the O line for Robinson is good tho and they should do well. I saw someone say one or two rounds and I would disagree. I think if they play as they did last night they go 3 or 4 rounds. They played us as well as anybody did last year cept LH. I would also say that they looked better prepared for us. Maybe they thought they had something to prove.

BILLYFRED0000
09-01-2007, 05:06 PM
My other suprise was how badly Argyle beat IP. I thought Argyle would win. We scrimmaged them and they did give us some things to work on even tho we controlled them pretty well. I just want to know from someone who saw the game if IP fell off the bus or if Argyle was the bus.

Johnny 5
09-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Doormat 32-3A team Progreso Red Ants beats playoff caliber 32-4A Mission Eagles 7-6.

That is an upset!

WOS87
09-01-2007, 07:30 PM

You guys have any that came as a suprise to you? Any thoughts on any of the games you saw last night? Let's share! :) [/B]

Believe it or not, that 69 points scored by Permian is a new all-time record in the history of the program for most points scored in a single game. The previous record was 68 points scored against Alamogordo, N.M. in 1991.