PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Progreso Red Ants

turbostud
08-31-2007, 11:10 PM
They just pulled off a major upset and beat the Mission Eagles 7-6. Mission was a 4a playoff team last year and gave CC Flour Bluff a good game. Chalk one up for the little guy.

gobbler grad
08-31-2007, 11:16 PM
sounds like they stung the eagles...hehehehehehehehe...:wave:

turbostud
08-31-2007, 11:40 PM
Yes they are a doormat 3a team every year and just beat a 4a playoff team. Unbelievable.

KTA
08-31-2007, 11:41 PM
that is CRAZY

pirate4state
09-01-2007, 12:07 AM
YAY :cheerl: :cheerl: for the Red Ants!!!

footballgal
09-01-2007, 12:38 AM
Congratulations to the Mighty Progreso Red Ants!

44INAROW
09-01-2007, 01:03 AM
Congrats to the Red Ants - Wonder if Mission missed the 1 point kick or went for 2 and failed the conversion?

sahen
09-01-2007, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Congrats to the Red Ants - Wonder if Mission missed the 1 point kick or went for 2 and failed the conversion?
or kicked 2 field goals?

JR2004
09-01-2007, 01:44 AM
My gosh! Isn't Progreso ranked among the bottom 15-20 teams each year in 3A? There might not be a bigger upset all season long by a 3A team than this one. Congratulations definitely go out to the Red Ants on pulling this off!

burnet44
09-01-2007, 02:04 AM
better break up the ants

IHStangFan
09-01-2007, 02:06 AM
Congrats Red Ants!

Johnny 5
09-02-2007, 01:15 PM
The score was 0-0 all game. Mission scored a TD late, but missed the XP. Progreso answered right back, and made the XP. The D then held until the end of the game.

Gratz to Progreso

maroonpirate04
09-02-2007, 01:22 PM
Congrats Red Ants it's nice to see a small school beat a big school. And i would like to see you back in the playoffs. it's been 16 years since your last appearance. it's time to break the drought

wookinpanub
09-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Red Ants going marching one by one - hurrah, hurrah.

Ranger Mom
09-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by wookinpanub
Red Ants going marching one by one - hurrah, hurrah.

Great!! Now that song is going to be stuck in my head all day!!:D :D

Congrats to the ants!!

piratebg
09-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Wow. I knew Progreso had a team but I didn't know they had a mascot. Congrats Red Ants :D :clap: :clap: :clap:

footballgal
09-04-2007, 12:57 PM
The upset heard ’round the Valley

Everyone is talking about “the upset” that started the 2007 football season. Sure, you might think I’m talking about Appalachian State’s 34-32 shocker over then-No. 5 Michigan at the Big House on Saturday.
While that’s a big shock on the national scale, that’s not the upset I’m referring to.
Progreso’s 7-6 win over Class 4A playoff favorite Mission High last week is the talk of the Valley High School football scene right now.
How did they do it? Good ol’ fashioned effort.
Ask any coach and they’ll tell you that while they often may come up short on the scoreboard, the Red Ants of coach Elvis Hernandez are never short on effort.
“I saw them getting beat last year and those kids were still fighting,” one coach told me. “They always fight ’til the end.”
That’s what small teams like the Red Ants can do best. Play hard and with a lot of pride.
A scoreless game until the fourth quarter, Mission got on the board first.
But just like the Mountaineers of Appalachian State, special teams came through for the Ants.
Progreso blocked the point-after attempt and ultimately won the game because of it.
Down 6-0 with just over three minutes to go, the Red Ants punched the ball in when Juan Vega scurried into the end zone from 12 yards out. The all-important extra point by Victor Perez and subsequent defensive stand gave Progreso arguably its biggest win since the 1990 season finale at Lyford that earned them a three-way slice of the district title.
Kudos to Hernandez and his staff for prepping these kids. Everyone always loves a David beating Goliath story and this one is no exception.
Don’t you forget about us
While a lot of people were preoccupied with the “Big Three” of 32-3A (Port Isabel, Rio Hondo and La Feria) most of the pub the Hidalgo Pirates got in the offseason was for their new navy blue playing surface at Bill Pate Stadium.
Apparently, they can play some good football, too.
While I’m being sarcastic with that statement, coach Jorge Peña and his Pirates pulled out a surprising 29-19 win over the favored Mercedes Tigers last week.
Quarterback Oscar Perez was magnificent, rumbling for 188 yards and three touchdowns in Peña’s scheme that made a star of Randy Reza at San Benito and produced the Valley’s only 2,000-yard rushing quarterback.
The Pirates bottled up the Mercedes running game for the most part, holding the Tigers to 98 yards rushing, and got a little revenge for a 37-point drubbing the Tigers handed them last year.
This is one tough district, top to bottom. I can’t wait until the district season starts .
Getting defensive
Now, while not as high-profile as the “upset heard round the Valley,” Rio Hondo blitzed Weslaco East 51-0 at Bobcat Stadium. East was only able to muster up 53 yards against the Cats’ D.
I don’t want to jinx coach Gus Cavazos and defensive coordinator Rocky James’ unit, but they have not allowed a touchdown in 2007 as of yet.
Well, they’ve only played one game, you say? I was also counting two scrimmages. The three times the Bobcats have put on the pads, they have not allowed a touchdown. Simply amazing.
That “Black Plague” defense over in Rio Hondo is gonna be a force to be reckoned with for sure.
Winning with “Es”
Congrats to new La Feria coach Elifonso Esquivel for winning his La Feria debut, a 46-0 pasting of Brownsville St. Joseph’s.
As the defensive coordinator for the Lions the past seven seasons, Esquivel and his staff established a reputation for hard-nosed defense .
Times haven’t changed.
The Lions allowed a paltry 42 yards to the Bloodhounds en route to the shutout. La Feria’s new spread offense looked good too, as the Lions were able to pass the ball with ease and run it too. A big congrats goes out to Esquivel, his assistants and, of course, the team.
The Lions have a big game with neighborly rival Mercedes on Friday.
Almost, but not quite
The Port Isabel Tarpons came up short of ending Edcouch-Elsa’s regular-season winning streak in a 41-33 loss to the ’Jackets.
The Tarpons had 306 yards of offense, but in the end just could not get the stops when they needed vs. La Maquina.
They’ve got a big game coming up with a little revenge on their minds as they travel to Raymondville to take on coach Alex Leal and the Bearkats.
Primetime players
Here are the noteworthy performances of Week Zero in the district: ¸ Hidalgo’s Perez had the 188 yards and three scores (35, 35, 26) in Hidalgo’s win over Mercedes. ¸ Progreso’s Mando Garcia had 117 total yards (86 passing, 31 rushing) in Progreso’s big win . ¸ Rio Hondo’s offense gets the nod, rolling up 431 yards of offense against Weslaco East. ¸ La Feria’s Jonathan Perez and Randy Rodriguez combined for 176 yards and 2 TDs against St. Joe. ¸ Last, but certainly not least, Port Isabel’s Nolan Nuñez had 87 yards rushing, including a nifty 67-yard scoring run in the Tarpons’ close loss to E-E.

Armando Garza covers District 32-3A for the Valley Morning Star. He can be reached at 956-430-6255 or at armandog@valleystar.com

Armando Garza
32-3A notes
Valley Morning Star

texansfan
09-06-2007, 01:53 AM
this was just awesome.

KingRob
09-06-2007, 05:28 AM
Good to see the underdogs win one!

Congrats on the win Red Ants!:cheerl: :cheerl:

footballgal
09-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Not surprisingly the Progreso Red Ants are Class 3A team of the week.

Congrats again to the Red Ants of Progreso!

Progreso named magazine's Class 3A team of the week

Sep 4, 2007 9:41 pm

PROGRESO — Progreso was named Dave Campbell’s Texas Football’s Army Strong Team of the Week for Class 3A.

The Red Ants opened the season with a 7-6 victory against tradition-rich Class 4A Mission High during Week 0.

“The Red Ants of Progreso stepped up to a big challenge this week,” Texas Football General Manager Adam Hochfelder said. “Playing up one classification and taking on the (former) 10th-ranked Mission High School was a tough game.”

The award will be presented at a time still to be determined.

http://www.rgvsports.com/sports/week_385___article.xml/progreso_class.html

footballgal
09-08-2007, 12:08 AM
Progreso is on a roll - They are now 2-0 :eek: I actually go 3-0 next week!

AP Panther Fan
09-08-2007, 12:11 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

thanks for keeping us posted FBGal!:)

turbostud
09-08-2007, 12:12 AM
Congrats Red Ants. 31-19 over St. Joseph. 2-0.

luvhoops34
09-08-2007, 12:25 AM
Wow!

Go Progreso!

burnet44
09-08-2007, 01:16 AM
break up the ants wow

44INAROW
09-08-2007, 01:42 AM
Congrats to the Red Ants - good luck next week - make it 3 in a now :)

burnet44
09-08-2007, 01:45 AM
when/if thay have been 2-0, 3-0?

footballgal
09-08-2007, 02:09 AM
Like 17 years ago!

Btw

Red Ants gave up 1 yard rushing, and 136 through the air. A total of 137 total yards. :eek:

Bull Butter
09-08-2007, 08:50 AM
It hasn't been that long ago that they went 3-0 to start a season. I want to say it was about in 1999 or 2000 that the Red Ants got off to a 3-0 start and began district play the following week at Port Isabel.
The Progreso cheerleaders put up a sign that read "Can you say 4-0?" Port Isabel proceeded to put a 58-6 whipping on the Ants and the rest of their season was history.