PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on OU booster being allowed to raise funds for killed recruit's funeral...

g$$
08-31-2007, 05:13 PM
Aug. 31, 2007, 6:50AM
NCAA grants waiver to OU for Mitchell fundraiser

NORMAN, OKLA. — The NCAA granted a waiver Thursday for the University of Oklahoma to set up a fund to assist with funeral expenses for the family of slain football recruit Herman Mitchell.

Mitchell, a 6-foot, 200-pound linebacker from Westfield, verbally committed in June to play for the Sooners, but the 17-year-old from was shot to death Aug. 24 after getting into a fight at an apartment complex.

Soon after, Oklahoma booster and Houston resident Adam Fineberg began raising money for Mitchell's family to help defray the player's funeral costs. Fineberg had raised about $4,500 before university compliance officials told him his actions violated NCAA rules. He has since refunded the money.

Oklahoma officials said they'd been told Tuesday by the NCAA that the money raised by Fineberg would constitute illegal financial assistance under NCAA rules, because Mitchell's brother is a sophomore football player at Westfield and Fineberg is considered to be an Oklahoma booster.

Fineberg said his only intention was to help Mitchell's mother to pay for the funeral. Oklahoma compliance officials requested the waiver on Wednesday.

"We're happy with their decision and now we have we have a little bit of work to do, to make sure we do this in accordance with NCAA rules and with the laws of Oklahoma," Oklahoma athletic department spokesman Kenny Mossman said.

Under the waiver, granted by the NCAA's membership services staff, any funds raised by Fineberg can be transferred to the university to help pay for funeral expenses.

The waiver has three conditions — that the university take control of the fundraising and any funds already donated to Fineberg; that the university use the funds to directly cover the costs of the funeral and memorial services, with no money going directly to the family; and that any excess funds be donated to a Houston-area nonprofit organization to be chosen by the university.

"This is a tragic circumstance, and we are glad we were able to work quickly with OU to assist this family in their time of need," said Kevin Lennon, the NCAA vice president for membership services.

Lennon said NCAA bylaws cannot take into account the unique circumstances of every situation.

"This is a case where our waiver process worked exactly as it is intended — to collaborate with a member institution to address an individual situation," he said.

g$$
08-31-2007, 05:17 PM
I have mixed thoughts on this, & it has nothing to do with it being Oklahoma or any other school. How does this not constitute "extra benefits" by NCAA rule? What about the recruiting advantage for his younger brother? Would this be done for any student? What about another athlete in a lower profile sport?

I truly feel for the kid's family & this was tragic. But, is this not opening up a can of worms down the road? Similar to the Clemson football player who takes care of his brother & is able to receive funds from boosters & elsewhere.

Thoughts?

Hupernikomen
08-31-2007, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I have mixed thoughts on this, & it has nothing to do with it being Oklahoma or any other school. How does this not constitute "extra benefits" by NCAA rule? What about the recruiting advantage for his younger brother? Would this be done for any student? What about another athlete in a lower profile sport?

I truly feel for the kid's family & this was tragic. But, is this not opening up a can of worms down the road? Similar to the Clemson football player who takes care of his brother & is able to receive funds from boosters & elsewhere.

Thoughts?

NCAA did the right thing. This family is heart broken and now the U of Ok. gets a chance to help out the family of a young man they believed in.

JasperDog94
08-31-2007, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
NCAA did the right thing. This family is heart broken and now the U of Ok. gets a chance to help out the family of a young man they believed in. I'll admit that I have a hard time separating the issue from the university. OU got a slap on the wrist for their latest violations and now are allowed to do this. In my heart I feel it's the right thing to do, but my head is telling me that OU now has a leg up on recruiting the younger brother.

g$$
09-01-2007, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
NCAA did the right thing. This family is heart broken and now the U of Ok. gets a chance to help out the family of a young man they believed in.

It's a tough deal - your heart says do what is right. But, I will never understand the NCAA & their selective enforcement of rules. I just hope this is handled right & everyone can move forward. And, if the poor kid was not a football player this sadly would not have made the news (to this extent) nor would $$ have been raised IMO.

(Anyone else ever wondered why the University of Oklahoma is commonly referred to as OU? Has been all of my life anyway. It clearly says "University of Oklahoma" in front of the campus in Norman. I have asked Oklahomans this question & none of them had an answer!)

g$$
09-01-2007, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I'll admit that I have a hard time separating the issue from the university. OU got a slap on the wrist for their latest violations and now are allowed to do this. In my heart I feel it's the right thing to do, but my head is telling me that OU now has a leg up on recruiting the younger brother.

Well said & agreed.