PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts out there on 1100 Springs music...

g$$
08-31-2007, 04:56 PM
Need some input on 1100 Springs (Texas Country band from Dallas). I have heard some of their stuff but trying to decide if I want to go see them here in Houston tonight at Armadillo Palace.

Help me out please, good & bad...comparisons, etc.

(I am a big fan of RRB, Stoney, Bowen, REK, Eli Young Band, Creager, Rhyder, Reckless Kelly, etc. if that helps)

carter08
08-31-2007, 04:59 PM
I haven't heard them, but I do know that everyone I know who's heard them says they are really good.

crzyjournalist03
08-31-2007, 05:01 PM
I've heard of them before, but can't remember where...I just did a search on it here, and big daddy russ has seen them...don't know if he'll check in tonight or not!

3afan
08-31-2007, 06:10 PM
how will you know unless you go ....

g$$
09-01-2007, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
how will you know unless you go ....

That's why I asked for input to help with my decision! We didn't go anyway with the bad weather & all. Maybe next time.

big daddy russ
09-01-2007, 03:49 AM
Sorry... got on a little late. Last time I saw them was anywhere from five to eight years ago. Good band, put on a good show. I still have a CD of theirs that I barely ever listen to.

Kinda hard to compare them to anyone, but I'd put them at a cross between Junior Brown, Matt Hole and the Hot Rod Gang, some Doug Sahm, and The Mavericks. Rockabilly and raw country mixed with that Roy Orbison sound. Personally, I really like them. Definitely one of the more unique Texas Country bands. More in the mold of the first big wave of Texas Country that was very diverse and experimental... but based on classic country... in their sounds. Less like the Ragweed/RRB 'streamlined' Texas Country of today.

Those guys have probably been around for a decade or more. I've seen them two or three times myself, not including the two times I saw them at Bocktoberfest. Haven't heard anything new from them in years, but those guys rock. If you like the steel guitar, some Orbison, and some Texas music, I really think you'll like them. They're a departure from the norm, but in a good way.

g$$
09-02-2007, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Sorry... got on a little late. Last time I saw them was anywhere from five to eight years ago. Good band, put on a good show. I still have a CD of theirs that I barely ever listen to.

Kinda hard to compare them to anyone, but I'd put them at a cross between Junior Brown, Matt Hole and the Hot Rod Gang, some Doug Sahm, and The Mavericks. Rockabilly and raw country mixed with that Roy Orbison sound. Personally, I really like them. Definitely one of the more unique Texas Country bands. More in the mold of the first big wave of Texas Country that was very diverse and experimental... but based on classic country... in their sounds. Less like the Ragweed/RRB 'streamlined' Texas Country of today.

Those guys have probably been around for a decade or more. I've seen them two or three times myself, not including the two times I saw them at Bocktoberfest. Haven't heard anything new from them in years, but those guys rock. If you like the steel guitar, some Orbison, and some Texas music, I really think you'll like them. They're a departure from the norm, but in a good way.

Thanks Russ, much appreciated. I will have to check them out soon.