PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see Sweeny's Johnnie Higgins on #1 Play of Day...

g$$
08-31-2007, 04:12 PM
NFL Network last night awarded Sweeny's Johnnie Lee Higgins, Jr. with the #1 "Play of the Day" for a 90 yd. punt return vs. Seattle. That kid can fly if you saw it - he coasted the final 30 yds. & no one gained ground on him (he runs in the 4.2s consistently). Higgins was a 3rd round pick of Oakland & is UTEP's all-time receiving leader after a stellar career (All Conference, Biletnikoff Semifinalist, & some All American teams).

He capped off the score with a somersault & then a back flip in the end zone. Great job Johnnie Lee & best of luck in the NFL! Terrific kid & family too, representing Brazoria County well.

g$$
08-31-2007, 04:45 PM
BTW, if you are wondering, Johnnie lasted until the 3rd round because he did not run well at the Combine. He had a slightly sprained ankle & should not have run - this came from him, not me. He ran in the 4.5s, so he got well & ran at his Pro Day in El Paso for the scouts weeks later & ran three 40s all in the 4.2s.

I think the Combine has become a joke. Track speed or looking great in tights does not make you a good football player (see Mario Williams). Put the game film on & see who can play football. The Combine has merit, but it should not be the end all, be all. Too many looks like Tarzan & plays like Jane out there!

maestro
09-01-2007, 08:06 AM
yes i saw him...

what a super deal..