PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Pence is a beast!!!

JasperDog94
08-31-2007, 03:29 PM
Through 6 innings Pence is 2 for 2 with a walk, 2 homeruns and 5 RBIs!:eek: :eek: :eek:

If this guy hadn't gotten hurt, he'd be a serious contender for rookie of the year.

Sweetwater Red
08-31-2007, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Through 6 innings Pence is 2 for 2 with a walk, 2 homeruns and 5 RBIs!:eek: :eek: :eek:

If this guy hadn't gotten hurt, he'd be a serious contender for rookie of the year.

Hunter Pence?

JasperDog94
08-31-2007, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Hunter Pence? Center fielder for the Astros.

Sweetwater Red
08-31-2007, 03:32 PM
Center fielder for the Astros.

Is that why they didn't sign Carlos Beltran?

JasperDog94
08-31-2007, 03:34 PM
Is that why they didn't sign Carlos Beltran? No. They didn't sign Carlos Beltran because Boris (his agent) used the Astros in a bidding war to up the contract that he eventually signed with the Mets. (which is where he wanted to go all along)

piratebg
He is a one man wrecking crew today. Since when did he become the leadoff man?

crzyjournalist03
No. They didn't sign Carlos Beltran because Boris (his agent) used the Astros in a bidding war to up the contract that he eventually signed with the Mets. (which is where he wanted to go all along)

and only one Boras client has ever resigned with his team when he became a free agent...

JasperDog94
08-31-2007, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
He is a one man wrecking crew today. Since when did he become the leadoff man? Since we got a new skipper. Biggio should never have been the lead off man this year. His OBP is terrible at this point in his career. Pence's batting average is higher that Biggio's OBP.

JasperDog94
08-31-2007, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
and only one Boras client has ever resigned with his team when he became a free agent... I wonder who that could be....:thinking: :thinking:

JasperDog94
08-31-2007, 03:37 PM
Wandy's been awesome today too. 6 innings, 0 earned runs, 4 hits, 102 pitches.

Sweetwater Red
08-31-2007, 03:46 PM
No. They didn't sign Carlos Beltran because Boris (his agent) used the Astros in a bidding war to up the contract that he eventually signed with the Mets. (which is where he wanted to go all along)

Well, it turned out better for the Astros if Spence continues to
produce. They won't be locked in to a big contract. (See Alex
Rodriguez). I think the Rangers are still paying him.

I sure am glad nobody wanted to offer Magglio and his "bad"
knee what he was worth...except for my Tigers. :D

g$$
08-31-2007, 04:18 PM
Since we got a new skipper. Biggio should never have been the lead off man this year. His OBP is terrible at this point in his career. Pence's batting average is higher that Biggio's OBP.

Exactly. Pence is here to stay & fun to watch play. Makes Purpura look even worse for being so slow to promote him. Pence would have been ROY if not for missing 2 months (1st month in minors & then wrist injury cost him a month too).

Astros had no chance with Beltran & Boras played the Astros like a fiddle. Astros made a very fair offer & he wanted to go to NY.

Problem is, after Pence & Troy Patton, the minors are barren of top level prospects. Thanks Purp & Drayton. Failed to sign top 2 picks this year too. Going to take shrewd moves & rebuilding the once top 5 minor league system to get back into contention over the next few years.

(BTW, Lance Berkman is finally swinging it like Lance of old. Think he has found his stroke after a sub-par year by his standards.)

crzyjournalist03
08-31-2007, 04:28 PM
I wonder who that could be....:thinking: :thinking:

It was Greg Maddux back with the Braves in the late 90s...he basically went into Boras's office and told him he was going to stay a Brave, so Boras had better get him a new deal with the Braves.

Sweetwater Red
08-31-2007, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I'm trying to remember...it's either John Smoltz or Tom Glavine back in the late 90s, and it was because he went in there and told Boras that he was going to be a Brave, so get a deal with the Braves no matter what.

Wasn't Smoltz. He was in Detroit's farm system. Detroit traded
him to Atlanta for a bucket of bolts.:(

crzyjournalist03
08-31-2007, 04:30 PM
him to Atlanta for a bucket of bolts.

yeah...got confused...I edited above...it was Maddux.

g$$
08-31-2007, 04:49 PM
him to Atlanta for a bucket of bolts.:(

John Smoltz from Detroit for RHP (& old) Doyle Alexander. Very similar to Bagwell for Larry Andersen from the Red Sox trade.

zebrablue2
08-31-2007, 04:52 PM
great game pence. keep it going.