PDA

View Full Version : Teacher avoids prison in plea deal

burnet44
08-31-2007, 10:50 AM
Teacher avoids prison in plea deal
By Maribel Salazar
Friday, August 31, 2007

Former Christoval Elementary School teacher Sherry Turner pleaded guilty Thursday in a Tom Green County court to one count of having an improper relationship with a student.

Turner, as part of a plea deal that was accepted by the judge, agreed to deferred adjudication for seven years, was fined $2,500 and surrendered her teaching certificate.

Under deferred adjudication, the judge may postpone the finding of guilt and place the defendant on probation. If there are no infractions during the probation, the case will be dismissed without a finding of guilt.

An improper relationship between an educator and a student is a second-degree felony with a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

The 37-year-old physical education teacher also was an athletic trainer for Christoval’s middle and high school. She resigned in the spring.

Kirk Hawkins, Turner’s attorney, told presiding Judge Thomas Gossett that Turner has been in counseling. Hawkins and Turner declined comment.

The male student was 17 at the time of the improper conduct, District Attorney Steve Lupton said. Someone who is 17 is considered an adult under the Texas Penal Code. As such, no unlawful sexual abuse or conduct charges were pursued against Turner, Lupton said.

A complaint filed by a Tom Green County sheriff’s deputy in March stated that on Oct. 6, 2006, Turner and the student met in San Angelo’s Unidad Park, where Turner got into the student’s vehicle and engaged in kissing and sexual touching.

Thursday’s court actions concluded the investigation, Lupton said.

Lupton said prosecutors could not contact the student or his family after the complaint was filed but proceeded with the case anyway.

“There was sufficient evidence to proceed,” Lupton said.

ToroChingon
08-31-2007, 11:06 AM
WOW! THE ACCUSER COULDN'T EVEN BE LOCATED AFTER THE ACCUSATION, AND THEY PROCEEDEED ANYWAY?

DO WE HAVE A SCREWED-UP JUSTICE SYSTEM OR WHAT?

SHE WAS INNOCENT, AND STILL HAD TO PLEA THE THING OUT. WHAT A CROCK OF CRAP!

rangerjoe33
08-31-2007, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by ToroChingon
WOW! THE ACCUSER COULDN'T EVEN BE LOCATED AFTER THE ACCUSATION, AND THEY PROCEEDEED ANYWAY?

DO WE HAVE A SCREWED-UP JUSTICE SYSTEM OR WHAT?

SHE WAS INNOCENT, AND STILL HAD TO PLEA THE THING OUT. WHAT A CROCK OF CRAP!

Maybe she got some bad advice from her attorney...I have no sympathy for her. Obviously she did something wrong or would not have plead guilty. She was an educator having a relationship with a student. She should have gotten more than deferred adjudication...maybe if we get tougher on these types of things it might not continue to occur as often as it has in the past couple of years. I am tired of reading about teachers and students "hooking up".

briefcase
08-31-2007, 12:58 PM
I agree they need to be more strict. Did you hear about the teacher last week that got caught doing the same thing. The saddest part about it was the kid was homeschooled.:doh: :eek:

big daddy russ
08-31-2007, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by rangerjoe33
Maybe she got some bad advice from her attorney...I have no sympathy for her. Obviously she did something wrong or would not have plead guilty. She was an educator having a relationship with a student. She should have gotten more than deferred adjudication...maybe if we get tougher on these types of things it might not continue to occur as often as it has in the past couple of years. I am tired of reading about teachers and students "hooking up".
I respect your opinion, joe, but what if she really didn't do anything wrong? To me personally, it still makes sense to plea out in this situation if you're faced with possible prison time. By doing this, avoids going to prison altogether.

Just something to think about, not necessarily something to change anyone's mind.

ToroChingon
08-31-2007, 01:44 PM
I know her real well and I know she is innocent. The 'accuser' was a terd trying to cause some trouble before splitting, and he did.

This ain't the first time a kid has cost a teacher's career just by being a P.O.S.!