PDA

View Full Version : D'Anton Lynn Story Celina Safety

bobcat1
08-30-2007, 09:28 PM
Lynn transforms talent into versatility

BY ANDREW MAY, Staff Writer
(Created: Wednesday, August 29, 2007)

D’Anton Lynn is the epitome of a team player.

During his career at Celina, he has played virtually every position on the field outside of the trenches. From quarterback to receiver to running back to cornerback to linebacker, Lynn has never met a role he didn’t like. The senior will now add free safety to his laundry list of locales on the field.

Having been groomed at the position the past few seasons, the senior will make his first start at safety Friday when the Bobcats take on Robinson.

“I’m still getting used to it,” Lynn said. “I haven’t played it much in games.”

Ask anyone with knowledge of high school football in Texas and they will tell you it doesn’t matter. Lynn is a raw athlete that can do it all on the field. Scouts are taking notice.

The senior is the 21st ranked safety in the nation by Rivals.com and has yet to take a snap at the position. He is being recruited by the most storied programs in college football. Has been for some time. He impressed most all of them last season despite missing several games with torn ligaments in his left ankle. And though he was unable to take as many snaps as desired in 2006, Lynn rushed for 383 yards (6.6 yards per carry) and 7 touchdowns, threw for 73 yards, and caught 10 balls for another 71 yards. At linebacker and defensive back, Lynn totaled 57 tackles, two forced fumbles, and two fumble recoveries. Hard to tell the kid still has flaws in his game. “I still have a hard time telling the option and the sprint out apart,” said Lynn, who benches 270 pounds, squats 465 pounds and runs the 40 in 4.48 seconds. “I need to work on playing a little faster.”

While that may be true, colleges certainly aren’t docking him any points. Lynn estimates he has fielded 25 total scholarship offers. Every one of them is a recognized program, though he has it narrowed down to USC, Penn State and Florida. Aside from being perennial powers, each possesses a coach that knows a thing or two about pigskin.

“They all have really good coaching staffs,” said Lynn, who is also wanted by Arkansas, Iowas, Louisville, Nebraska, UCLA, Wisconsin, Illinois and Texas Tech. “I know I will be well coached at any of those.”

Lynn (6-1, 177) has yet to make a verbal commitment, but plans to do so before district play begins Sept. 28. He has taken visits to all three schools and has at least two more planned. He will travel to State College Sept. 8 to see Notre Dame take on the Nittany Lions in a nationally televised game. During the bye week Sept. 21, Lynn will either head down to Gainesville to see the Gators or out west to watch the Trojans.

“I want him to make a decision and do it now so he can get settled,” Celina head coach Butch Ford said. “I think it will be soon.”

Lynn has plenty of advisers in his corner. His father, Anthony, was a standout running back at Texas Tech and went on to play seven years in the NFL. He spent the past two years as the running backs coach for the Dallas Cowboys, but joined the Cleveland Browns staff this season.

“He told me I should pick as soon as I can,” said Lynn, a four-star recruit and the 34th ranked player in Texas by Rivals. “He doesn’t want me to rush it, though.”

Scouts and fans wouldn’t mind him making a rushed decision. They are actually encouraging it. Lynn used to receive dozens of text messages (in excess of 100 at its peak) daily from coaches and scouts trying to woo him. Since the NCAA recently passed a rule prohibiting text messaging to recruits, they have gotten even more creative. In addition to emails, he gets postings on his MySpace page from fans.

“It’s crazy,” he said. “They tell me, ‘come to our school, we have a great program.’ They will give me updates on their defensive backs, seniors who are graduating, that type of thing.”

It’s hard not to want Lynn wearing your colors. He is a selfless player that couldn’t care less about individual stats, though most expect him to explode statistically this season. He has bigger goals in mind. Goals that will net some new jewelry.

“I want to win a state championship,” Lynn said. “That’s my only goal.”

Lynn is ranked as a 5.8 by Rivals. That category of player is described as an All-American candidate and one of the nation’s top prospects who is deemed to have pro potential and the ability to make an impact on a college team.

“We need a great season from him,” Ford said. “He needs to live up to all that billing and put up a banner year. I think he will.”

http://www.courier-gazette.com/articles/2007/08/29/celina_record/sports/a-sportscel03.txt

charlesrixey
08-30-2007, 09:35 PM
thanks for the story, bobcat!

BILLYFRED0000
08-30-2007, 10:04 PM
Lynn is really a good kid too. To me that says a lot. Ya gotta like the boy. His dad dun good raisin him.......

celinaorange
08-30-2007, 10:45 PM
His mother, Cynda, had quite a bit to do with his raising. Anthony has been, and still is,. gone a lot of the time

BILLYFRED0000
08-30-2007, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by celinaorange
His mother, Cynda, had quite a bit to do with his raising. Anthony has been, and still is,. gone a lot of the time

Yes that is true. The issues involved in being a full time NFL coach means you are definetly gone alot. I get the feeling that D'anton has a lot of respect for both mom and dad.

bobcat1
08-31-2007, 04:40 AM
D'Anton has respect for everyone. That is what is great about this young man. He will strike your arse though. Make no mistake about it. He will strike you.:D