PDA

View Full Version : Graham/Greenwood Updates

RMAC
08-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Can somebody do some updates for me to read about later. I've got class til 8:30 then a study group. Thanks.

LH Panther Mom
08-30-2007, 05:50 PM
I will post what updates I get from RM.

charlesrixey
08-30-2007, 05:53 PM
sweet!

is this one tonight or tomorrow?

luvhoops34
08-30-2007, 06:05 PM
tonight baby! My home boy, KTA, is there, too. :D

charlesrixey
08-30-2007, 06:08 PM
YAY!

some real football tonight!
is this one on the radio?

luvhoops34
08-30-2007, 07:48 PM
Graham/Greenwood @ Shotwell Stadium

Pic is of the Greenwood fans...not too many of them...

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e312/ctalk56/shotwell-greenwoodside.jpg

charlesrixey
08-30-2007, 07:49 PM
wow, they have new turf!

when i was last there, in 2000, it was orange grass!

luvhoops34
08-30-2007, 07:52 PM
Graham scores on a toss sweep
Graham 7 - Greenwood 0

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e312/ctalk56/Grahamscoresonatosssweep.jpg

luvhoops34
08-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Camera phone pics courtesy of KTA:D

luvhoops34
08-30-2007, 08:01 PM
Graham stops Greenwood on 4th and 1 and gets the ball on the 5 yd line.

luvhoops34
08-30-2007, 08:19 PM
14-0 Graham

96 yd drive

8:03 left in the first half.

lion75
08-30-2007, 08:22 PM
Where is the "Sparkling City By the Sea?"

fury900
08-30-2007, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by lion75
Where is the "Sparkling City By the Sea?"

Corpus Christi Tx.

VWG
08-30-2007, 09:11 PM
Graham just held Greenwood again on 4th and short. 4th time Graham has held Greenwood on 4th down.
About 9:00 left in the 3rd qtr. Graham 14 Greenwood 0
With that stop Graham takes over on it's own 34.

luvhoops34
08-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Graham up 20-0
8:08 left in the 3rd qt

charlesrixey
08-30-2007, 09:29 PM
(eagerly awaiting)

LH Panther Mom
08-30-2007, 09:38 PM
End of 3rd, still 20-0

LH Panther Mom
08-30-2007, 10:09 PM
Final: 20-0

VERNONLION#1
08-30-2007, 10:21 PM
Surprised at the score. Then again its only game 1. Sorry RM

injuredinmelee
08-30-2007, 11:29 PM
wasnt much of a game. McCoy wasnt very accurate tonight and the Rangers just dont have much imagination to their offense. I can see Graham being a very good team later in the season however.

Cameron Crazy
08-31-2007, 12:08 AM
Graham played well, I just got home. We are going to be pretty good. But its the first game!

MarginalTalent
08-31-2007, 12:38 AM
Not bad for a first game. Greenwood is much smaller than last year's team and they need backfield help, but I'm not sure they would have done much better even with their starting quarterback. Coach Taylor is doing what he can with what he's got. Graham failed to score at least three times inside the Gwood 5 yard line or this could have been worse. Graham had too many dropped balls and passes behind receivers. They'll get better though.

KTA
08-31-2007, 01:04 AM
im trying not to post on this site, BUT

Graham failed to score at least three times inside the Gwood 5 yard line or this could have been worse. Graham had too many dropped balls and passes behind receivers. They'll get better though.

You hit the nail right on the head.

GWOOD
08-31-2007, 01:29 AM
Graham had some size and their line seemed to be quicker than ours. I was shocked that our big line could not move them enough for a 1 yard gain or less on several of those 4th down tries. That was the most disappointing thing to me.

I know that we prepared for a passing game but the running game killed us in the first half. It seemed like we were overpersuing a lot. McCoy looked good on some passes but missed his targets on several occasions as well.

Graham looked like a good team to me. I hope so. I hope we just got beat by a very good team. Who does Graham have next?

KTA
08-31-2007, 02:23 AM
@ Clyde

injuredinmelee
08-31-2007, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by KTA
@ Clyde ought to win that one by about 20 also.

Cameron Crazy
08-31-2007, 07:19 AM
I would agree injured.

GWOOD
08-31-2007, 07:27 AM
August 31, 2007: Graham defense punishes Rangers
Jack Marrion
Midland Reporter-Telegram
08/31/2007

-- Greenwood's roll of the dice on a trio of fourth down plays did not pay off for the Rangers in their season-opening game against Graham on Thursday night.

Greenwood was just 2-of-12 on third down conversion attempts and 0-for-5 on fourth downs and Graham took advantage for a 20-0 victory at the Champions Classic at Shotwell Stadium. Graham would turn three of those fourth down stops into touchdowns.

"It was huge to stop (the Rangers) on third down," Graham coach Brad McCoy said. "We knew coming in we had a good defense led by some good players."

The Rangers (0-1) appeared to move the ball at times but either a missed blocking assignment, a penalty or a fumbled snap would put them in a tough spot.

"We had three fourth downs and we don't hit the hole on one, our guard goes the wrong way on another and then the quarterback fumbles the ball on the other on fourth-and-inches," Greenwood coach Steve Taylor said. "We just had bad stuff happen to us on fourth down. We could have made them all pretty easy but that's part of being young and making mistakes."

The first fourth down conversion attempt probably set the tone for the Rangers on this night. Greenwood faced a fourth-and-1 from its own 13 when Bryce Williams was stopped for no gain, giving the Steers excellent field position.

Two plays later, Jake Holub scored on a 5-yard scamper to give Graham the early 7-0 lead.

"We felt like (the Steers) could move so well, we wanted to keep the ball away from them," Taylor said. "We felt pretty good running behind Dean Smith. But that's the one where if we hit the hole we make it easy, plus we didn't have any outside blocking. If I had a crystal ball I wouldn't do that again."

On the following possession, Greenwood would go on one of its best drives of the night, marching 58 yards to the Graham 2. But once again, Williams was stopped for no gain on fourth-and-goal.

The Steers would then go on a back-breaking 98-yard drive behind the running of Holub, who capped it off with a 2-yard TD run to give Graham a 14-0 lead with 8:02 left in the first half.

"We felt it should have been tied 7-7 at the half," Taylor said. "We felt good about our offense in the first half. We felt like they weren't stopping us, we were stopping ourselves."

Holub was the big weapon for Graham (1-0) as the senior running back rushed for 138 yards on 16 carries and two scores. He probably caught Greenwood a little off guard as the Rangers were expecting the Steers to throw the ball a lot more.

"We know Jake had a great off season and added more power, and we felt he showed that tonight," said McCoy, whose team avenged two losses to the Rangers in 2006. "He had some holes up front too, but we're really happy with the way he ran the ball tonight."

Greenwood would go on another solid drive right before the end of the first half, going 60 yards before stalling at Graham's 27-yard line and turning it over on downs.

Unfortunately for the Rangers, their bad luck on fourth downs would continue in the second half as they were stopped on fourth-and-1 at their own 34. One play later, Case McCoy found John Wright for a 34-yard scoring pass for a 20-0 lead after the missed extra point.

Case McCoy, the younger brother of University of Texas quarterback Colt McCoy, was just 12-for-27 for 165 yards with that one touchdown and no interceptions. The outcome could have been much worse for the Rangers in the second half if it wasn't for a pair of goal line stands by the Ranger defense.

Junior Kinsey Williams led the Rangers on offense with 85 yards on 19 carries.

Graham 20, Greenwood 0

Graham 7 7 6 0 --20

Greenwood 0 0 0 0 --0

First Quarter

GRA -- Jake Holub 5 run (Josh Elkins kick), 7:12

Second Quarter

GRA -- Holub 2 run (Elkins kick), 8:02

Third Quarter

GRA -- John Wright 35 pass from Case McCoy (kick failed), 8:08

GRA GRE

First Downs 15 11

Rushes-yards 28-132 44-186

Passing Yards 165 44

Comp.-Att.-Int. 12-27-0 6-13-1

Fumbles-lost 3-2 4-2

Punts-Avg. 2-34.5 4-35.25

Penalties-yds 7-45 6-45

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING -- Graham, Jake Holub 16-138, Trevor Sparks 4-7, Cody Parilla 2-1, Case McCoy 3-(-9), Sean Monk 1-3, Matt Ferguson 2-(-8). Greenwood, Bryce Williams 12-39, Noe Rodriguez 8-43, Kinsey Williams 19-85, Blake McColloch 2-6, Cody Brooks 3-13.

PASSING -- Graham, McCoy 12-27-0 165. Greenwood, Rodriguez 6-13-1 44

RECEIVING -- Graham, Hubbell Allen 4-39, John Wright 3-84, Cody Stansell 3-17, Holub 1-8, RB White 1-1. Greenwood, B. Williams 2-11, Brandon Herring 2-12, McColloch 1-5, Colby Gilbert 1-6.

INTERCEPTIONS -- Graham, Monk 1-4

Sweetwater Red
08-31-2007, 07:45 AM
Does Greenwood have a punter? :thinking:

Texasfootball2
08-31-2007, 08:14 AM
I think the Greenwood coach smoked a hole dime bag of something before kickoff. That would go down in history as one the worst coached football games I've ever seen.

injuredinmelee
08-31-2007, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
I think the Greenwood coach smoked a hole dime bag of something before kickoff. That would go down in history as one the worst coached football games I've ever seen.

he did make some pretty poor decisions in last nights game.

Sweetwater Red
08-31-2007, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee

Like going for it on fourth down from his own 15 yard line?:doh:

Ranger Mom
08-31-2007, 09:17 AM

He does NOT do drugs!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

He just drinks too much!!:eek: :eek:

Not really....just a joke....I am surviving on very little sleep, so I am not responsible for anything I say today!!:D :D

Texasfootball2
08-31-2007, 09:54 AM

He put his kids in a hole by making very poor decisions, and then instead of playing it smart on the first drive of the second half only down two scores, he makes another idiotic decision. The had the ability to move the ball on Graham, he should have punted on fourth and 1 from his own 35, and played for field postion instead of digging himself in a bigger hole. On that they could not get out of. If he had punted the ball and pinned Graham deep in their own end, they had a chance on defense to make a stop and put them in a position to get the ball back with good field position. All Greenwood needed to do was score one time in the third quater and it would have been a battle to the end, but the coach was making decisions like his team was outmanned all over the field. I could be wrong but I think both of these teams were fairly evenly match. Graham did a good job of taking advantage of some absolute gifts from Greenwood. They sure didn't line up and whip anyone.

Ranger Mom
08-31-2007, 09:58 AM
He put his kids in a hole by making very poor decisions, and then instead of playing it smart on the first drive of the second half only down two scores, he makes another idiotic decision. The had the ability to move the ball on Graham, he should have punted on fourth and 1 from his own 35, and played for field postion instead of digging himself in a bigger hole. On that they could not get out of. If he had punted the ball and pinned Graham deep in their own end, they had a chance on defense to make a stop and put them in a position to get the ball back with good field position. All Greenwood needed to do was score one time in the third quater and it would have been a battle to the end, but the coach was making decisions like his team was outmanned all over the field. I could be wrong but I think both of these teams were fairly evenly match. Graham did a good job of taking advantage of some absolute gifts from Greenwood. They sure didn't line up and whip anyone.

That was basically what G2 said....he said Gwood should have been down by only 1 TD in the 3rd or 4th quarter!!

Oh well....live and learn!! Hopefully the coaches realize what THEY did wrong and work on that!!

3afan
08-31-2007, 10:00 AM
possibly the decisions were sound but it was the EXECUTION that was bad? huh?

crzyjournalist03
08-31-2007, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
That was basically what G2 said....he said Gwood should have been down by only 1 TD in the 3rd or 4th quarter!!

Oh well....live and learn!! Hopefully the coaches realize what THEY did wrong and work on that!!

just out of curiosity, how old is this coach?

I've noticed a trend recently in coaches who are very young that they have a tendency to coach games with what they term "confidence" but in reality is more like cockiness. It's almost as if young coaches are growing up playing Madden and other football games on their game systems where they just go for it on fourth down all the time or call trick plays at strange times, then they think they can pull it off in a real game like they do in a video game.

I don't even know if that's relevant at all to this particular coach, but I doubt I'm the only one who's noticed that before.

Ranger Mom
08-31-2007, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
just out of curiosity, how old is this coach?

I've noticed a trend recently in coaches who are very young that they have a tendency to coach games with what they term "confidence" but in reality is more like cockiness. It's almost as if young coaches are growing up playing Madden and other football games on their game systems where they just go for it on fourth down all the time or call trick plays at strange times, then they think they can pull it off in a real game like they do in a video game.

I don't even know if that's relevant at all to this particular coach, but I doubt I'm the only one who's noticed that before.

I don't know for sure, but I would say at least my age....maybe older!!

Mid to late 40's maybe?!?!?!

ClydeLineman#55
08-31-2007, 10:48 AM
I really doubt the game will be a blow out. We beat graham by 7 @ there house last year and we lost our running back tightend and all state LB in which are all returning healthy this year so it will be a hell of a game, especially with us playing at home

KTA
08-31-2007, 10:55 AM
The had the ability to move the ball on Graham

Im sorry, I must of been watching a different game because that 2nd half greenwood didnt do diddily squat on offense. If Grahams wr's catch the ball (like 10 drops) this game is UGLY.

injuredinmelee
08-31-2007, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by ClydeLineman#55
I really doubt the game will be a blow out. We beat graham by 7 @ there house last year and we lost our running back tightend and all state LB in which are all returning healthy this year so it will be a hell of a game, especially with us playing at home

Is your stud RB tougher this season? He took some dives to avoid gettign killed a time or seven in a game i saw last year.

Sweetwater Red
08-31-2007, 10:59 AM
Is your stud RB tougher this season? He took some dives to avoid gettign killed a time or seven in a game i saw last year.

Well, see this year is his contract year. He didn't want to get
injured last year and lose all that potential money.:D

Texasfootball2
08-31-2007, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
possibly the decisions were sound but it was the EXECUTION that was bad? huh?

Nothing sound about going for it on fourth down from your own fifteen yardling in the first Quater, regardless of whether you make it, it's still not a sound decision. Someone hit the nail write on the head when they said that we have a generation of coaches that seem to coach with cockiness.

GWOOD
08-31-2007, 11:15 AM
Nothing sound about going for it on fourth down from your own fifteen yardling in the first Quater, regardless of whether you make it, it's still not a sound decision. Someone hit the nail write on the head when they said that we have a generation of coaches that seem to coach with cockiness.

Since it didn't work it seems like a foolish decision. It was 4th and 6 inches and we do have a line that goes 330, 310, 305, 270, and 205. You would think that with a line that big you could get 6 inches. We didn't. Hats off to Graham for winning the battle in the most crucial times.

We knew going in that Graham would be tough and physical. We knew they wanted to beat us bad. I think our coach was trying to build confidence. We do not have our #1 QB. We need some confidence. I know our offensive coordinator believes in our line and I'm sure he was very confident that we could move the ball 6 inches.

By the way, Coach Taylor is not a cocky coach. He would lean more towards being a conservative coach.

I was OK with his decisions. They were risky but I thought most times the odds were in our favor. We just got beat last night. Hopefully, we learned some things about our team and we will make adjustments. I would feel a lot better about this game if Graham goes 10-0 this year.

GWOOD
08-31-2007, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Does Greenwood have a punter? :thinking:

Yeah, we have a decent punter. I don't think that had anything to do with the decisions.

Ranger Mom
08-31-2007, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by GWOOD

By the way, Coach Taylor is not a cocky coach. He would lean more towards being a conservative coach.

I would even go as far as saying TOO conservative at times!!!

VERNONLION#1
08-31-2007, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
Graham played well, I just got home. We are going to be pretty good. But its the first game! :clap: