PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Night on tv: Cy Fair vs. Stratford...

g$$
08-30-2007, 03:48 PM
FYI:

7:00 PM
Fox Sports Southwest tv
Tully Stadium in West Houston

Cy Fair vs. Stratford

Cy Fair HS has Michigan commit RB Sam McGuffie (you tube fame) & Stratford HS has Stanford commit (son of former NFL player Oliver Luck) QB Andrew Luck. Luck is regarded as the top passing QB in the state & one of the nation's best. Luck is also ranked #1 in class, thus choice of Stanford (dad was Rhodes Scholar from West Va). McGuffie is the real deal & very athletic (track star too) who broke the HISD rushing record last year with over 3100 yds. A&M is still hoping to get him even after his commitment to Michigan.

Check it out!

Maroon87
08-30-2007, 05:33 PM
I love watching games at Tully. It's maybe 7 miles from my house.:cool:

Emerson1
08-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Awesome I get the rangers instead

DU_stud04
08-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Awesome I get the rangers instead ....same here.........:mad:

turbostud
08-30-2007, 08:38 PM
Mcguffie is out of the game with a twisted ankle on a horse collar tackle.

sweetwater07
08-30-2007, 08:50 PM
i can't find this game

Emerson1
08-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
i can't find this game
It's on FSN, you are probably getting the Rangers and White Sox though.

turbostud
08-30-2007, 09:02 PM
Channel 639 Second half is starting

sweetwater07
08-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
It's on FSN, you are probably getting the Rangers and White Sox though.

yeah thats what i'm getting..i guess this far away from Houston i wouldn't get the game

raider red 2000
08-30-2007, 09:44 PM
i am only 45 minutes from houston.

and got baseball......dont they know that baseball season is over :)

Emerson1
08-30-2007, 10:09 PM
Game is on FCS Central aswell for anyone who has it. Mcguffie wasn't in the last cy fair possesion late in the 4th.

Old Tiger
08-30-2007, 10:47 PM
poor sam....:rolleyes:

Score? How is Luck looking?

g$$
08-31-2007, 01:24 AM
Aug. 31, 2007, 12:54AM
Luck's on Spartans' side
Stratford QB, potent defense key victory; Cy-Fair star suffers injury

By SAM KHAN JR.
For The Chronicle

If someone had predicted that Andrew Luck would end up with more rushing yards than Sam McGuffie in Thursday's showdown between Cy-Fair and Stratford, chances are it would have drawn a puzzled look.

That's what happened as Luck, Stratford's senior quarterback, showcased his legs as well as his right arm to lead the Spartans to a 21-17 victory over Cy-Fair at Tully Stadium.

Luck finished 15-of-33 passing for 228 yards and two touchdowns, and carried nine times for 75 yards and a score. McGuffie left the game early with a high-ankle sprain and didn't return.

McGuffie finished with 66 yards on 11 carries.

"He made some outstanding plays for them," Cy-Fair coach Ed Pustejovsky said of Luck. "(His running ability) is an added threat that makes him much more difficult to defend."

Early on it was the defenses that stood out. And for a quarter, it looked like Cy-Fair had Luck and the Stratford offense in check.

The Spartans' first play from scrimmage, a completion from Luck to Ben Bredthauer, turned out badly when defensive back Duran Snoddy jarred the ball loose and the Bobcats recovered.

An 18-yard run by McGuffie set up a 1-yard touchdown run by Wesley Cobb to give the Bobcats a 7-0 lead.

The Spartans went three-and-out on their next drive, but Luck got rolling in the second quarter as he engineered a 10-play, 58-yard drive that ended in a 5-yard touchdown pass to Rodney Anderson that tied the game.

McGuffie and Cobb went to work on the next drive. McGuffie started it with a 15-yard run and Cobb followed with a 32-yard rumble to set up the Bobcats in the Stratford red zone.

But the Bobcats weren't able to punch it in and settled for Chris Patrick's field goal that gave Cy-Fair a 10-7 lead. McGuffie injured his ankle on a horse-collar tackle inside the 10 on that drive and was done for the night.

Stratford responded on the ensuing drive when Luck hit three different receivers on a nine-play, 80-yard march that took just 1:40 and ended with a 13-yard strike to B.J. Griffin in the corner of the end zone.

The Spartans response to the early struggle was big, in their coach's mind.

"That was the most important thing I wanted to get out of tonight," Stratford coach Eliot Allen said. "We had to prove that we could battle and I'm proud of our kids' resiliency."

Despite missing their star, the Bobcats looked good as well as Cobb (20 carries, 139 yards) and fullback Morrice Lane went to work in the running game. A nine-play drive ended in a fumble by Lane that was recovered by Trevor Grall and returned to the 3-yard line.

"Anytime you turn the ball over when you have momentum like that, it hurts," Pustejovsky said. "You have to rebound from something like that."

Luck hit Bredthauer for a 52-yard gain on the second play of the next drive. Luck capped the five-play, 97-yard march that with a dazzling 28-yard touchdown run that gave Stratford all the points it would need and provided a 21-10 lead late in the third quarter.

Cy-Fair responded with a six-play, 69-yard drive that ended in an 11-yard touchdown run by Cobb that cut the lead to 21-17.

Stratford's defense took over from there.

The Spartans held Cy-Fair to 31 net yards in the fourth quarter on four drives.

Cy-Fair's best chance to score came with under four minutes to go when the Bobcats reached the Stratford 22, but a sack by defensive lineman Jimmy Burge on quarterback Gavin West on third-and-9 put that threat to rest.

"The defense saved our (rears)," Luck said. "They're great and they're very overlooked.

"They played with a chip on their shoulder, as well they should. They didn't get talked about much at all (in the preseason)."

The win was big for the Spartans not only to get the season started on the right foot, but to redeem a season-opening loss to the Bobcats last season. And to prove that they aren't just a one-man show.

"This is a huge win for us," Burge said. "Everybody knows Cy-Fair is a great team. To come out like this and get a four-point win, it makes us very happy."

sam.khan@chron.com

g$$
08-31-2007, 01:30 AM
Injury to McGuffie was unfortunate & took some of the luster away from the highly anticipated match-up. Luck is a player who will only get better w/ D1 athletes around him in college. Big kid who moves better than I was led to believe as well; very smart player w/ a cannon for an arm. McGuffie averaged 6 ypc until the injury occurred on a horse collar tackle (flagged 15 yds. too). Overall, good game & hope Sam gets well. Houston news reported severe ankle sprain. Wish both kids well down the road.

(#79 for Cy-Fair, OL named Lathrop who has committed to A&M looked solid too. Stratford's NG named Burge played well & has committed to Mizzou.)

DU_stud04
08-31-2007, 01:34 AM
its on fsn sw right now..... lucky is looking good.

g$$
08-31-2007, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
its on fsn sw right now..... lucky is looking good.

Or just LUCK, as in dad was Oliver, qb in the NFL for years (1980s) & who now owns the Houston Dynamo soccer team after running NFL Europe for years. Smart cookie & so is his son.

DU_stud04
08-31-2007, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Or just LUCK, as in dad was Oliver, qb in the NFL for years (1980s) & who now owns the Houston Dynamo soccer team after running NFL Europe for years. Smart cookie & so is his son. i call him lucky :D

g$$
08-31-2007, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
i call him lucky :D

OK. I call him darn good & will be even better down the road. Jim Harbaugh got a good one to help rebuild Stanford.

DU_stud04
08-31-2007, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by g$$
OK. I call him darn good & will be even better down the road. Jim Harbaugh got a good one to help rebuild Stanford. He is good, made alot of good throws. good arm

and as for me calling him lucky is my ignorance of his last name...hahaha