PDA

View Full Version : Nice article on Jermie Calhoun

icu812
08-30-2007, 02:52 PM
Article published Aug 30, 2007
Van running back Calhoun thrust into small-town limelight

He glances at the field. He begins to smile. He starts to talk.

"I love playing at Van," he said.

In recent months, Van senior running back Jermie Calhoun has been thrust into the national limelight. This summer, he was named the top running back recruit in America by ESPN and second in the nation by Rivals.com. In the meantime, The Dallas Morning News put him front and center in its sports section and Texas Football made him its Class 3A cover boy.

Yet, through it all, his hometown remains closest to heart.

"Since my seventh grade year, I've loved playing here," Calhoun said. "I just love the crowd and the people here. They are just nice, nice people ... I'm going to miss Van."

Calhoun's referring to his future, one that seems more promising than most given to high school seniors. He won't be taking out any loans next year to attend college. He won't be waiting by the mailbox for a financial aid check to arrive. Or counting on his parents to pay the bill.

Instead, he will arrive at the University of Oklahoma on a full-ride wearing the tag "America's No. 1." And expectations have never been higher for the role, perhaps, largely because former Palestine running back Adrian Peterson entered OU just three years ago touted the same - and, in turn, fulfilled the promise.

But Calhoun's not one to forget he's just a high school student. Unlike in Peterson's case, there's no mini-entourage working behind the scenes during his senior year setting up interviews. He, instead, gives out his cell number to reporters and arranges things himself.

It's almost like Calhoun has yet to grasp the whole situation.

His biggest goal this season is to make the playoffs, something Van has failed at during the past two years.

Calhoun sees similarities with Peterson.

Compared to A.D.

However, he also points out a striking difference.

"We are different running backs," he said, in simple terms. "He's a hard, hard runner - I'll give him that. He's a really good running back. But I'm more of a finesse runner. I can probably run over people like he did, but I can make people miss."

It's been highly documented that Peterson went to Oklahoma in 2003 with a world of expectations awaiting him. He was the nation's top-rated prep recruit, no matter the position, heading in and lived up to the billing.

He finished his debut season with the national record for rushing yards by a freshman, and placed second in the Heisman Trophy race.

Although he wants to carve his own path at OU, Calhoun might well be the happiest person in Norman if it follows alongside Peterson's.

Just don't tell Calhoun he's anywhere near Peterson's shadow - which now resides in Minnesota Vikings land.

"I want to make something out of myself like he did," Calhoun said. "I know there was pressure on him, too. But I want to make a name for me. I don't want anybody to say I'm going to follow in Adrian Peterson's shadow."

Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders both graduated to Hall of Fame careers in the NFL after playing running back at Oklahoma State. Unlike Peterson and Calhoun, they hailed from different regions of the nation - Thomas was from Houston and Sanders was from Kansas.

Breaking out

A teammate's injury might have propelled Calhoun to his current position atop the best-of-the-best in America.

Jarvis Crawford, a grade Calhoun's elder at Van, suffered an ankle sprain on Sept. 24, 2005 against Gladewater. The injury occurred early in the game, with Crawford and Calhoun expected to share the bulk of the carries the next two seasons.

The rest of that night's carries went to Calhoun, who responded in a way unmatched by any running back in the history of Van football. He finished the game with a school-record 359 yards with four touchdowns in a 35-21 victory.

The performance gained the attention of many, and helped Calhoun receive his first recruitment letter several weeks later. The letter came from Kansas State, also a big-time NCAA Division I program, but Calhoun didn't jump at the offer. He thought that his 1,803 yards rushing and 23 touchdowns as a sophomore - with Crawford playing only six games that year - would likely draw more. And better.

No longer did Van have a two-headed monster at running back. Now Calhoun, without doubt, was the No. 1 piece to the offensive puzzle.

"I think that had a lot to do with my success really," Calhoun said of the injury to Crawford, whom he considers a good friend. "(Against Gladewater), it was a scary night for me because I wasn't used to starting. He got hurt on the second play of the game, so coach Pennington came to me and was like 'You've got to carry the load right now'. Since then I've been carrying the load a lot."

------

Van head coach Brady Pennington said he noticed Calhoun's special talents more than three years ago. In junior high, Calhoun was seemingly a man among boys who scored just about every time he touched the ball.

Pennington said Calhoun displayed other attributes that made him promising.

"We knew coming out of junior high that he was going to be special," Pennington said. "You could see great vision."

Last Thursday, Calhoun continued to display that during a scrimmage against Troup.

"We put the offense into the spread and he just made some great cuts and stuff," Pennington said. "Getting him into the open field, it's just natural to him. He just sees it."

------

Two moments come to mind when Pennington looks back on Calhoun's first three seasons. Both took place two years ago when Calhoun was first emerging as a freak of nature at the varsity level.

The first came after his 359-yard performance.

"(Gladewater head coach) David Hussmann came over after the game, shook my hand and said we aren't playing you next year," Pennington laughed. "That night was a special night. He just really, really stepped up. He just took over."

The second came during a game later that year.

"Our journalism department films our games from the sideline, and they make a highlight video for us every week," Pennington said. "In that highlight video, (the other) kids were throwing cheap shots. He was on the sideline and he was holding court. He was telling the guys that we don't play like that. We play with character and class.' He said 'If you do any of that, I'm going to take care of you.'"

After Thursday's scrimmage, Calhoun once again displayed leadership.

"We got through with the scrimmage and he really played well, we moved the ball well and he made some big runs," Pennington said. "He raised is hand and wanted to say something. He said 'I just want to tell everybody that one thing is for sure, we aren't anywhere we need to be, but we made a positive step. I really wanted to tell the offensive line what a great job you did.'"

Sometimes Pennington has to remind Calhoun who the team's ultimate leader is, though.

"He gets an earful sometimes, and he takes it pretty good," Pennington laughed. "About the only time I have to get onto him is when he's hard one others. When things aren't going great, he will get onto his teammates. I'll have to say, 'Boy, be careful.'

"The only other thing he gets a chewing about is taking care of the football. He has a tendency to swing the ball out there. (During Thursday's scrimmage) he said 'Coach I swung the ball out there, so I guess I have to get back to work. He already recognized that he was carrying it loosely."