PDA

View Full Version : New AP Poll

The One
09-03-2002, 06:30 AM
What do you guys think about the new 3a AP poll?

1. Everman
2. Sinton
3. Jasper
4. Longview Spring Hill
5. Commerce
6. Daingerfield
7. Bridgeport
8. Newton
9. Burnet
10. Lindale

footballgal
09-03-2002, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by The One:
What do you guys think about the new 3a AP poll?

1. Everman
2. Sinton
3. Jasper
4. Longview Spring Hill
5. Commerce
6. Daingerfield
7. Bridgeport
8. Newton
9. Burnet
10. Lindale

Is there a site for this poll? I like to see where the Tarpons fall in this one... you see we don't have the luxury of being at the 10 ten. Do like this one though cuz it has Sinton in 2nd.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-03-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by footballgal:
Is there a site for this poll? I like to see where the Tarpons fall in this one... you see we don't have the luxury of being at the 10 ten. Do like this one though cuz it has Sinton in 2nd.

Footballgal, the AP Poll is basically a popularity contest. The votes are coming from sportswriters across Texas. Out of the 70 (I think) voters, only TWO are from the RGV. With the way attitudes are right now about Rio Grande Valley football, do you honestly think that ANY RGV team will even get a SINGLE VOTE from someone outside the valley, let alone break into the Top 10?

That's why I don't give a flip about the AP Poll. I do, however, follow the Harris Ratings, that is a MUCH MORE accurate poll.

Case in point. 1994, in the preseason AP Poll, we didn't even make a blip on the poll, but in Harris Ratings, we were ranked #5. At the end of the season, the AP STILL wasn't giving us any respect, our ranking was as high as 11 (#1 in "others receiving votes"), but NEVER any higher. The Harris Ratings final poll had us right where we began, at #5, behind Sealy, (state champ) Atlanta, Abilene Wylie (even though they had worse records) and Cuero (who WE eliminated from the playoffs). We could have easily been a #2 or #3.
THEN, in 1995, preseason AP Poll starts the Tarpons off at #8, even ranking them as HIGH as #4 during the season. The preseason Harris Ratings had the 1995 Tarpons ranked #32. Port Isabel loses to Ingleside in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Enough said.

eye of the tiger
09-03-2002, 12:47 PM
footballgal here is a site with the ap poll.

http://www.dallasnews.com/img/09-02/0903hspoll_apstate.pdf

footballgal
09-03-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by eye of the tiger:
footballgal here is a site with the ap poll.

http://www.dallasnews.com/img/09-02/0903hspoll_apstate.pdf

One that suprised me there was Falfurias recieved 5 votes, any thoughts on that?

eye of the tiger
09-03-2002, 02:23 PM
I dont know alot about Falfurias, but Texas Football magazine picks them second to Zapata in district. They have a lot of starters returning from a 10-2 team. Maybe they are that good. Early polls dont really mean alot, but it is still nice to see your team in top 20.

SintonFan
09-03-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by footballgal:
One that suprised me there was Falfurias recieved 5 votes, any thoughts on that?
Yoakum also has 5 votes and they are better than Fal.

[This message has been edited by SintonFan (edited September 03, 2002).]

footballgal
09-03-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by eye of the tiger:
I dont know alot about Falfurias, but Texas Football magazine picks them second to Zapata in district. They have a lot of starters returning from a 10-2 team. Maybe they are that good. Early polls dont really mean alot, but it is still nice to see your team in top 20.

Wow, I didn't know they had that many returning lettermen, they were tough last year, beating a lot of Laredo's 5A. So that explains it that would definitely make them tougher this year.

The One
09-03-2002, 07:40 PM
Is there a website to see the Harris Ratings?

eye of the tiger
09-03-2002, 07:43 PM
harris ratings can be found at this address.

http://www.jump.net/%7Etranspo/2002harrisratings.html

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-03-2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by The One:
Is there a website to see the Harris Ratings?

Yeah, what's the address? The AP Poll is a popularity contest crock of crap that need to be thrown in the trash where it belongs. I much prefer following the Harris Ratings.