PDA

View Full Version : World Championship Goat Cookoff

ASUFrisbeeStud
08-29-2007, 01:12 PM
Anyone heading down to Brady, Texas this weekend for the goat cookoff?

ASUFrisbeeStud
08-30-2007, 08:43 AM
I know someone has to be going. Hogg Maullies and Reckless Kelly are playing.

ASUFrisbeeStud
08-31-2007, 12:08 PM
Barbecue tradition carries on - Goat cook-off livens up holiday weekend
By Jenny Michaud (Contact)
Friday, August 31, 2007

Even after all these years, Wendy Ellis said, the occasional prankster will still try to sneak pork or brisket into the World Championship Goat Cook-Off and pass it off as goat.

The discerning judges, however, are on to them.

“If it’s not goat, they’re going to know it,” said Ellis, Brady’s community development director. “They take it very seriously.”

This weekend, Brady and the McCulloch County Chamber of Commerce will host the 34th annual World Championship Barbeque Goat Cook-Off. The event is a community tradition in the town about 75 miles southeast of San Angelo.

Every Labor Day weekend, thousands of people from across Texas and even neighboring states turn out for the event, which features numerous activities for attendees. Even so, the main event is the cook-off, with 150 teams competing to prepare the best-tasting barbecued goat.

Each team receives half a goat carcass and mesquite wood to work with. Ellis said the teams — some of which have been competing all 34 years — use everything from the basic salt and pepper to secret ingredients to flavor their goat.

Goat takes a little extra effort to prepare, Ellis said, so events such as this give people a chance to try something new.

“It’s an opportunity to enjoy something they can’t get just any day of the week,” Ellis said.

To keep things new and exciting, the chamber also has added a contest this year — the mystery meat challenge.

Competitors who wish to participate will receive the same meat, which Ellis can only identify as “a product of the Lone Star state” this evening and will be challenged to prepare it to the best of their ability.

The judges then perform a blind tasting to determine the winners. Ten top teams are declared, and the top five receive cash prizes.

Other events throughout the weekend include the arts and crafts fair, a 5K run and walk, horseshoe and washer pitching, a talent show and food booths. The event ends with a street dance at G. Rollie White Complex. This year the featured entertainment is three Texas bands, the West Texas Hogg Maulies, Brandon Rhyder and Reckless Kelly.

Ellis said the event serves as a reunion of sorts every year for longtime Brady residents, but even first-time attendees will feel welcome and enjoy the festivities.

“It’s a communitywide effort,” she said. “It really showcases the hospitality of the heart of Texas.”

luvhoops34
08-31-2007, 12:17 PM
My husband's cousin and his wife are going with some friends of theirs....

luvhoops34
08-31-2007, 12:19 PM
My daughter is in Angelo this weekend for a volleyball tournament. :D

ASUFrisbeeStud
08-31-2007, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
My daughter is in Angelo this weekend for a volleyball tournament. :D

How old is she?

Again I'm 6'0" 195 and incredibly attractive.;)