PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Classic

Emerson1
08-28-2007, 05:02 PM
might the worst managed station on television. Now that they are FINALLY actually showing classic sporting events, and not poker or american gladiators, they manage to screw it up.

They are having a top 25 college football marathon, I assume it's the 25 greatest games. #25 is KSU vs A&M in the big 12 championship in 1998. I tune in with about 1:30 in the 4th after a&m recovers the ball on the fumble, I know who eventually wins, but not how.

They show a&m drive down, score and get the 2 point conversion. Then as they cut to commercial they show a "coming up next" and it's a&m in the second OT scoring the game winning play. So there goes any reason to watch the rest of the game because I know what happens.

a&m should also be happy there was no instant replay in 1998

coach
08-28-2007, 05:05 PM
yes but eventually they would have just pounded it into the endzone and still won its not like it was a fumble or something like that but yea your right i dont think he got in

crzyjournalist03
08-28-2007, 05:06 PM
it shouldn't be called Classic...I've thought that for years...call it ESPN 3 or something...

g$$
08-28-2007, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
might the worst managed station on television. Now that they are FINALLY actually showing classic sporting events, and not poker or american gladiators, they manage to screw it up.

They are having a top 25 college football marathon, I assume it's the 25 greatest games. #25 is KSU vs A&M in the big 12 championship in 1998. I tune in with about 1:30 in the 4th after a&m recovers the ball on the fumble, I know who eventually wins, but not how.

They show a&m drive down, score and get the 2 point conversion. Then as they cut to commercial they show a "coming up next" and it's a&m in the second OT scoring the game winning play. So there goes any reason to watch the rest of the game because I know what happens.

a&m should also be happy there was no instant replay in 1998

I will take my chances from the 1/2 foot line with 280 lb. Jamaar Toombs 4 times! Parker did not score as his knee was down, but the game was in hand barring a turnover.

Ags win in 2 OT to upset Kansas State & earn the 1998 Big 12 Conference championship. Now we need another one ASAP!

(How could you not know how A&M won this game? It was an instant classic the next week.)

crzyjournalist03
08-28-2007, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I will take my chances from the 1/2 foot line with 280 lb. Jamaar Toombs 4 times! Parker did not score as his knee was down, but the game was in hand barring a turnover.

Ags win in 2 OT to upset Kansas State & earn the 1998 Big 12 Conference championship. Now we need another one ASAP!

(How could you not know how A&M won this game? It was an instant classic the next week.)

he would have been like 8 when that game was played.

and he did know who won...just not how it ended.

Emerson1
08-28-2007, 05:09 PM
I was 8 years old at the time.....

g$$
08-28-2007, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
he would have been like 8 when that game was played.

and he did know who won...just not how it ended.

I said "how" A&M won this game - he said he knew the outcome. Sorry, I did not know his age, but I guess I am different because I watched & read about sports starting at age 5. This was a huge upset. My bad!

crzyjournalist03
08-28-2007, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I said "how" A&M won this game - he said he knew the outcome. Sorry, I did not know his age, but I guess I am different because I watched & read about sports starting at age 5. This was a huge upset. My bad!

oops! misread that part...thought you had just asked how you could not know who won...

Daddy D 11
08-28-2007, 05:16 PM
i was barely 9 so i had no idea either of how it ended..

but i did enjoy watching it! had no idea gramatica played at kstate

crzyjournalist03
08-28-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11

Martin or Bill??? I didn't either!

g$$
08-28-2007, 05:19 PM

Guess that's why they have channels like ESPN Classic.

(K-State & A&M both had a bunch of future NFL guys in that game.)

Daddy D 11
08-28-2007, 05:19 PM
martin, my bad

g$$
08-28-2007, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Martin or Bill??? I didn't either!

Martin "Automatica" Gramatica. Brother Bill played for Syracuse I think & also in the NFL.

crzyjournalist03
08-28-2007, 05:22 PM
martin, my bad

my wife gave him a nickname last year and I thought she was dead on...she calls him "oompa loompa"

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/34/347595.jpg

http://manolomen.com/images/oompa%20loompa.JPG

3afan
08-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
...... Then as they cut to commercial they show a "coming up next" and it's a&m in the second OT scoring the game winning play. So there goes any reason to watch the rest of the game because I know what happens.

they always do that - dumb