PDA

View Full Version : Mack Brown to get new contract...

g$$
08-28-2007, 03:43 PM
FYI:

Reports say Regents have approved a new 10 year deal for Mack Brown that will extend to 2017. Will make in the neighborhood of $3 million per year plus perks.

Mack has done a great job in Austin restoring the program after Mackovic & McWilliams. But, gosh the price tag just keeps going up. Stoops makes around $3 million & Saban got a huge deal, so just the going rate I guess for major college football.

crzyjournalist03
08-28-2007, 03:48 PM
geez, I'm leery of opening up a can of worms, but is Brown really that good? I mean, is he worth the money that Stoops, Saban, or Carroll get?

At least those guys have led their teams to several title opportunities...the Longhorns have 1 championship, and they wouldn't have it without VY. In fact, they MIGHT have had one a few years earlier if it wasn't for Mac insisting on playing Simms over Applewhite (see second half of Big XII title game and ensuing Holiday Bowl).

I do like Mac Brown, and I think that he is a very good coach. But I don't think he deserves to be one of the top 5 paid coaches in the league which is right about where he'll end up. With that said, I do believe he's probably the second best coach in the Big XII, and I guess just having the chance to contend is better than most schools have every year, and as long as Mac's there, the team will at least have a chance.

Old Tiger
08-28-2007, 03:50 PM
I tend to agree.

g$$
08-28-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
geez, I'm leery of opening up a can of worms, but is Brown really that good? I mean, is he worth the money that Stoops, Saban, or Carroll get?

At least those guys have led their teams to several title opportunities...the Longhorns have 1 championship, and they wouldn't have it without VY. In fact, they MIGHT have had one a few years earlier if it wasn't for Mac insisting on playing Simms over Applewhite (see second half of Big XII title game and ensuing Holiday Bowl).

I do like Mac Brown, and I think that he is a very good coach. But I don't think he deserves to be one of the top 5 paid coaches in the league which is right about where he'll end up. With that said, I do believe he's probably the second best coach in the Big XII, and I guess just having the chance to contend is better than most schools have every year, and as long as Mac's there, the team will at least have a chance.

Mack has earned the right to be on the short list of top coaches. He wins 10 games per year on average & has 1 NC to go with 1 conference championship (same year). His graduation rate could be better (around 40% of football players, no excuses about NFL either, everybody has same criteria). But I cannot blame Texas for locking him up right now to a new contract. Mack's a good guy & liked universally by coaches & fans alike.

injuredinmelee
08-28-2007, 04:04 PM

I think the tag is high but look what Mack has done in restoring the pride back into the UT program. I didnt htink anyone could rescue the UT tradition after the Mackovic era. Besides 3 mill is puny compared to what he has brought in donations and what the football program makes every year.

crzyjournalist03
08-28-2007, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I think the tag is high but look what Mack has done in restoring the pride back into the UT program. I didnt htink anyone could rescue the UT tradition after the Mackovic era. Besides 3 mill is puny compared to what he has brought in donations and what the football program makes every year.

now that's an excellent point that I hadn't considered!

JasperDog94
08-28-2007, 07:41 PM
...Mac insisting on playing Simms over Applewhite ... This is an old and tired statement. People forget that Applewhite lost some games he should have won.

bobcat1
08-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
This is an old and tired statement. People forget that Applewhite lost some games he should have won.

It may be tired but it will never be retired until Mack is fired or I go to heaven. Can't stomach looking at him. Cry Mack Cry..........

g$$
08-29-2007, 01:10 AM
Found some #s:

Mack Brown currently ranks 6th among D1 football coaches (until new deal is finalized) @ $2.6 million w/ an automatic $100,000 raise per year:

Nick Saban (Bama) = $4 million
Bob Stoops (OU) = $3.45 million
Pete Carroll (USC) = $3 million
Kirk Ferentz (Iowa) = $2.84 million

(Charlie Weis makes between $3 to $4 million but Notre Dame does not release such #s publicly)

Dennis Franchione (pronounced fran-cho-nee) at A&M makes a little over $2 million per year plus perks fyi. A&M redid his deal after the Cotton Bowl a few years back for some reason...

JHS_c/o_06'
08-29-2007, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by g$$
A&M redid his deal after the Cotton Bowl a few years back for some reason...

Didn't they lose that game though?

g$$
08-29-2007, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
Didn't they lose that game though?

Yes, thus why I said "for some reason" if you care to read. It was a knee jerk reaction by administration & most of us were against it until he proved something. In fact, Fran has the 2 worst bowl losses in school history (Tennessee & Cal), plus the worst regular season loss in school history (77-0 to OU).

Don't try to start something...try reading comprehension. Fran has a lot to prove to me & others & this year's schedule will tell the tale.

3afan
08-29-2007, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by bobcat1
It may be tired but it will never be retired until Mack is fired or I go to heaven. Can't stomach looking at him. Cry Mack Cry..........

why?

KTJ
08-29-2007, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by bobcat1

He's now #5 on that list at $2.91 million per year.

And people are asking why is he getting a raise. Part of it has to do with how much money Mack Brown raises for UT, the Athletic Dept, and the LHF.

A quote from the AAS (8/29/07) --->

The 10 regents learned from Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds on Tuesday that football revenues have almost tripled in the nine years that Brown has been on campus, escalating from $22.6 million in predecessor John Mackovic's final season to a projected $63.09 million this year. That's a bunch.

bobcat1
08-29-2007, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
why? Applewhite and Tears