PDA

View Full Version : My Paper So Far

Old Tiger
08-28-2007, 12:03 AM
I did a history on Vick. Talked about his up bringing, high school career, college career, nfl career, and incidents with the law and other things like that. Tell me what you think so far

Michael Vick was born an African-American on June 26, 1990 in Newport News, Virginia. Born into a financially unstable household he was raised by his teenage mother Brenda Vick, sixteen, and father Michael Boddie, seventeen. Vick has three other siblings; Christina, who is the oldest, Marcus, and Courtney, who are the younger. All of the children grew up in a housing project where kids are forced to commit crimes in order to obtain money.
Vick's father , Michael Boddie, spent two and a half years serving for the United States Army then went on to find many different jobs but finally found stability working in a shipyard working as a sand blaster and spray-painter. His mother, Brenda Vick, found her financial assistance working at a local K Mart and driving a school bus. Michael's grandparents also helped to provide financial assistance with the four kids that Brenda and Michael were raising.
Vick first came to prominence while attending Homer L. Ferguson High School in Newport News. As a freshmen, he impressed many with his athletic ability, throwing for over 400 yards in a game that year. After Vick's freshmen year he and then coach Tommy Reamon moved onto Warwick high school when Homer. L Ferguson High was shut down for a school building modernization project. Vick impressed many scouts throughout his career and signed a letter of intent to play college football at the university of Virginia Tech. His freshmen year of college he was red shirted which means he must sit out one year but will retain his 4 years of eligibility. In first game he scored three rushing touchdowns in just over one quarter of play. Vick was invited to the Heisman Memorial trophy presentation where he finished third behind Ron Dayne and Joe Hamilton. Vick saw the chance to gain financial success at the end of his red shirt sophomore season and elected to go into the NFL draft.
In the 2001 NFL draft Michael Vick was the first overall selection by the Atlanta Falcons. Vick made his NFL debut on September 9, 2001 against the San Francisco 49ers but saw limited action. He became a full time starter and a MVP candidate in his second year in the NFL. He was elected to his first Pro Bowl in only his second year in the league. Michael Vick was selected to be on the cover of the most popular football game franchise ever, Madden Football 2004, and was subject to the “Madden Curse.” Shortly after being named the cover athlete of the famed franchise Vick was playing in a pre-season game and decided to run the ball while cutting, he managed to fracture his fibula, which put him out for 11 games of the season.
Michael Vick's controversies and incidents began in 2004 when two men driving a vehicle owned by Vick was pulled over and arrested for distribution of marijuana. His coach at the time Dan Reeves lectured Vick over choosing the right friends and the importance of reputation. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution quoted Reeves as having told Vick “You are an Atlanta Falcon...Whatever you do is going to be a reflection on all of us, not just you.” Later on that year in October Vick and members of his party were at an airport on their way to Newport News, Virginia. While they were passing through a checkpoint one of his party members stole a watch that belonged to a security screener. The following year in March of 2005 a woman filed a civil lawsuit against Vick alleging she contracted genital herpes from Vick, in the autumn of 2002, and that he failed to inform her that he had the disease. She further alleged that Vick had visited clinics under the alias “Ron Mexico” to get treatments and thus he knew of his condition. The case was settled out of court on April 24, 2006 for an undisclosed amount. On November 26, 2006 the Falcons suffered a loss to the New Orleans Saints an in apparent reactions to fans booing Vick made an obscene gesture at fans, holding up two middle fingers. He was fined $10,000 by the NFL for the gesture and agreed to donate another $10,000 to charity. A couple of months later in January of 2007 Vick surrendered a water bottle which had a hidden compartment to the security personnel at a airport in Miami. “The compartment was hidden by the bottle's label so that it appeared to be a full bottle of water when held upright,” police said. Test results indicated that there were no illegal substance in the water bottle and Vick was cleared of any wrong doing. Also in 2007, Michael Boddie, his father, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that around 2001, Vick was staging dogfights in the garage of the family's home in Newport News and kept fighting dogs in the family's backyard.

injuredinmelee
08-28-2007, 02:56 AM
oh where do I start with this crap.

1. Being born "african-american" does that predispose him to commit felonies? If not then why the hell put it in your paper.

2. Vick wasnt "forced" to commit crimes to obtain money. He chose to commit crimes as a child to obtain money.

Old Tiger
08-28-2007, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
oh where do I start with this crap.

1. Being born "african-american" does that predispose him to commit felonies? If not then why the hell put it in your paper.

2. Vick wasnt "forced" to commit crimes to obtain money. He chose to commit crimes as a child to obtain money. I didn't say Vick commited crimes i said children in those housing projects were forced to commit crimes to make ends meat......and I can see your african american statement.

injuredinmelee
08-28-2007, 03:35 AM
I still must insist that those children arent forced to commit crimes. They choose to. I grew up poor. Not project poor but in a single family household where my mother was barely able to make ends meet each month and my siblings and I chose to work. We could have stolen and done whatever but we chose to work. Life is all about choices. Where you grow up can influence who you become but ultimately you are the person tht must decide how your upbringing shapes you.

Old Tiger
08-28-2007, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I still must insist that those children arent forced to commit crimes. They choose to. I grew up poor. Not project poor but in a single family household where my mother was barely able to make ends meet each month and my siblings and I chose to work. We could have stolen and done whatever but we chose to work. Life is all about choices. Where you grow up can influence who you become but ultimately you are the person tht must decide how your upbringing shapes you. Alright I get you now. Do you like how I'm transitioning it?

kof96
08-28-2007, 05:42 AM
so vick is only 17.

BHBrave08
08-28-2007, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by kof96
so vick is only 17.

lolololol......thats what i thought.:thinking:

Snyder_TigerFan
08-28-2007, 08:07 AM
This paper might make a 6th grade teacher happy.;)

You second paragraph starts out addressing his career in the NFL and ends up talking about his troubles. Which one is it going to be?

burnet44
08-28-2007, 08:28 AM
Writing you paper on a message board
incredable

rockdale80
08-28-2007, 08:46 AM
First, how does your first rambling paragraph relevant to...well anything. If you are going to put it in the paper, then make it relevant to the entire paper. Otherwise, it is erroneous information, and unnecessary to the paper. The point is to stay on topic and only include only pertinent facts and opinions to what is going on. Also, make sure that you divide topics into seperate paragraphs. It seems like you are saying he was predisposed at a young age to commit crime, and if this is the case then continue that thought instead of running into his pro and collegiate careers. Cite any incidents about his childhood life and then reference research that supports how this type of behavior tends to lead to crime later on in life etc.

rockdale80
08-28-2007, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by burnet44
Writing you paper on a message board
incredable

That is pretty incredable ;)

luvhoops34
08-28-2007, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
This paper might make a 6th grade teacher happy.;)

You second paragraph starts out addressing his career in the NFL and ends up talking about his troubles. Which one is it going to be?

LMAO:D

Don't copy his biography, because it has nothing to do with why he was fighting dogs. Unless you can find a reference to him doing that in his youth somewhere.....

ASUFrisbeeStud
08-28-2007, 10:25 AM
I personally think you should write about the psychology aspect of how sick you have to be to fight dogs.

Emerson1
08-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
I personally think you should write about the psychology aspect of how sick you have to be to fight dogs.

I think that's what it's supposed to be, not a life story on vick.

ASUFrisbeeStud
08-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I think that's what it's supposed to be, not a life story on vick.

I mean if you want to bring up his childhood and being of a certain ethnic group write about how he was desensitized to the brutality of it all. Then I would write about how he found Jesus and everything is ok now.

burnet44
08-28-2007, 10:44 AM
only because he got caught

maybe this will help

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc164/KTA_KTA_KTA/nfl_u_signs_412.jpg

everybody makes the mistake of fighting dogs

rockdale80
08-28-2007, 11:02 AM
only because he got caught

maybe this will help

everybody makes the mistake of fighting dogs

I hate PETA....what a joke.

GreenMonster
08-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Virginia Tech University not the university of Virginai Tech.

neck_06
08-28-2007, 12:32 PM
nobody is forced to commit crimes, they have a choice, you always have a choice. they CHOSE to commit crimes. they could have just as easily CHOSE to go out and get a job.

Sweetwater Red
08-28-2007, 12:40 PM
I mean if you want to bring up his childhood and being of a certain ethnic group write about how he was desensitized to the brutality of it all. Then I would write about how he found Jesus and everything is ok now.

It's funny how convicts find religion on their way to or are all
ready in prison.:thinking:

Bull19
08-28-2007, 12:43 PM

that picture makes me sick....as soon as i saw that on espn yest i almost wanted to hit that kid......

yes people make mistakes but its not like he accidently hung dogs so they would die, or he accidently threw dogs on each other so they would fight......their is a big diffrence between a mistake and clearly breaking the law

Bull19
08-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
It's funny how convicts find religion on their way to or are all
ready in prison.:thinking:

yes aint it funny how he "found god" during all this???? its not like god was hiding before he got arrested

Sweetwater Red
08-28-2007, 12:46 PM
A mistake is making a poor decision. Vick did this over a period
of time. That is not a mistake.

rockdale80
08-28-2007, 01:49 PM
Ok...I know some of you are going to get all pissy about this, but here goes anyway.

First of all I own dogs and I treat them like kids. They depend on me for food, shelter, etc....so to me they are more than just a pet. They are an extension of me. They are like my kids and I take care of them like they are.

but...at the end of the day animals are animals. If you can have a dog and not have the emotional attachment that I do, then they are not companions, kids, etc. They are just animals at that point. Not saying I condone what he did, or that I would ever fathom doing it myself, but it doesnt bother me that they got together and did this. It doesnt keep me awake at night, or inspire rage inside me from this debacle. Sure it is a sad deal, but they are animals. There are many worse things people do to animals on a daily basis. I mean chicken houses are one of the most inhumane things that people do to animals on the face of this planet. But that is no media scandal. I am sure some of you are going to try to put what I just said into some other context and I probably wont bother to reply. So dont bother coaxing me into it. Just saying I dont care what other people do with their animals. I am sure that one day they will have to answer for the wrongs they have done in their life. That and look themselves in the eye every morning. I personally am tired of hearing about it.

mistanice
08-28-2007, 02:23 PM
http://www.petakillsanimals.com/images/print_vick.jpg

are they serious?

Emerson1
08-28-2007, 02:27 PM
There is a difference between drowning dogs and having them put to sleep.

carter08
08-28-2007, 02:54 PM
Don't major in English.

3afan
08-28-2007, 03:05 PM
is this paper for freshman english?

ASUFrisbeeStud
08-28-2007, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
There is a difference between drowning dogs and having them put to sleep.

Huge difference, I disagree with PETA's mission most of the time, like most of us on here does but humanely euthanizing a dog is far different than electrocuting one. How would you rather die? By falling asleep and never waking up or by some saddistic lunatic wetting you down and sticking and electric current to you.

thatsminty
08-28-2007, 11:16 PM
lolz "he was born an african-american" because being born HUMAN was unlikely for Michael Vick

ASUFrisbeeStud
08-28-2007, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by thatsminty
lolz "he was born an african-american" because being born HUMAN was unlikely for Michael Vick

There she is.

thatsminty
08-28-2007, 11:25 PM
There she is.

here I am. Rock me like a hurricane