PDA

View Full Version : Astros Fire Manager Phil Garner

Maroon87
08-27-2007, 02:11 PM
Last Edited: Monday, 27 Aug 2007, 2:05 PM CDT
Created: Monday, 27 Aug 2007, 1:54 PM CDT

FOX 26 Sports has learned the Houston Astros fired manager Phil Garner Monday in a sweeping move to shake up the team that is in last place in the National League Central Division.

Team owner Drayton McLane said bench coach Cecil Cooper will assume Garner's job on an interim basis.

"You never like to get fired," Garner told FOX 26 Sports. "The good parts are I'm so happy to have been able to come back and have been something very exciting for this city.

"We got to the World Series and I'm grateful for that. It has been a wonderful ride and I have had a great deal of fun. All the players, including Lance Berkman, Carlos Lee, Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell, have been really special.

Garner said the timing of the move didn't bother him

"It really doesn't make a difference," Garner said. "If you think it's time to do it, then do it. There's no right time or wrong time. The worst thing you can do is drag it out."

"I feel great for Cecil Cooper. I hope this turns into something more than aninterim job. He's the most qalified for rthe Astros job.

"I am sliding into private life.

Garner, who was in his fourth year as Astros manager, led the Astros to the National League championship and their first ever World Series in 2005. He had a 277-252 record with the Astros but the team was only 58-73 this year and had languished under .500 most of the season.

A former major league player for 15 years, the 58-year-old Garner played with the Astros from 1981-87. He also played in Oakland, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles and San Francisco before going into coaching in 1989. He was a member of the 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates World Champions and batted .479 in the championship series.

He first became a manager in 1992 and in eight seasons with Milwaukee, three with Detroit and four with Houston, Garner had a combined 985-1,054 record.

Cooper was in his third season as Houston's bench coach. Cooper, a 17-year veteran of the major leagues, came to the Astros after two seasons managing Triple A Indianapolis in the Milwaukee Brewers organization. He was 66-78 and 64-78 in two seasons with the Indians.

crzyjournalist03
08-27-2007, 02:14 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

was this something being talked about around Houston? I hadn't even heard he was on the hot seat.

The Astros stink this year, but I don't blame Garner for it. It's the curse of Carlos Lee that I warned Astros fans about the day they signed him.

big daddy russ
08-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Apparently, McLane heard G$$'s cries. Purpura got the axe, too.

link (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7160596?MSNHPHMA)

Maroon87
08-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
:eek: :eek: :eek:

was this something being talked about around Houston? I hadn't even heard he was on the hot seat.

The Astros stink this year, but I don't blame Garner for it. It's the curse of Carlos Lee that I warned Astros fans about the day they signed him.

Carlos Lee has been great. He's doing exactly what he was brought here to do.

rangerjim
08-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Don't know if this is good news for when they play my Cubbies next week. Probabaly bad cuz now they'll play with reckless abandon.

It stinks being a Cubs fan - I wish they would either get on a hot streak or hit the skids. As a lifer my heart isn't strong enough to make it through September.

SWMustang
08-27-2007, 02:37 PM
I feel bad for Gar, but Tim deserved it. That trade with Colorado was the worst.

crzyjournalist03
08-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Carlos Lee has been great. He's doing exactly what he was brought here to do.

which is what he's done everywhere he's played, but he's never played for a winner...it seems that when he shows up, the team around him goes down...see White Sox, Brewers, Rangers, et al.

Emerson1
08-27-2007, 02:46 PM
I don't get why managers are fired for bad teams. All they do is sit there, it's not like they have to call plays. The GM should be gone for not getting good players

crzyjournalist03
08-27-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I don't get why managers are fired for bad teams. All they do is sit there, it's not like they have to call plays. The GM should be gone for not getting good players

well, at least he's gone too...

Bull19
08-27-2007, 03:20 PM
bout time purpura is gone, but i didnt see garner leaving,,,,,he did about all he could do with what he had this year. it will be interesting to see who the new gm will be

Buccaneer
08-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
bout time purpura is gone, but i didnt see garner leaving,,,,,he did about all he could do with what he had this year. it will be interesting to see who the new gm will be

Tal Smith

crzyjournalist03
08-27-2007, 03:24 PM
if they wait until the end of the year, Brian Cashman might be looking for a job. :D

Maroon87
08-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
Tal Smith

Only on an interim basis I believe.

Bull19
08-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
Tal Smith

just saw that on the stros site,,,was going to edit my post, but not any more

Bull19
08-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Only on an interim basis I believe.

correct

eagles_victory
08-27-2007, 04:28 PM
garner had one of the greastest nicknames of all time i hate to see scrap iron go

necks_c/09
08-27-2007, 04:36 PM
garner was pretty good but man i hated purpura, although sometimes i disagreed with garner about who played...............

example:

1. Jason Lane/ coulda been Chris Burke who actually has potential and is young

2. Pitching Borkowski and Randolph in the same game, thats just askin to give up half a dozen runs

3. Refusal to play Lamb on an everyday basis

4. Not playing Munson enough

now these are just my personal opinions

g$$
08-28-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Apparently, McLane heard G$$'s cries. Purpura got the axe, too.

link (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7160596?MSNHPHMA)

Thanks Russ, but Drayton doesn't listen to me anyway! Purpura did an awful job. I told y'all I worked directly for him in 1994 & knew he was not qualified. He left the minor league system in shambles, made poor trades (see Jennings, etc.), did not sign his top 2 picks after giving up 1st/2nd round picks, did not build relationships with other GMs, held on to players too long (Ensberg, Lane, etc.), & basically showed no leadership. Carlos Lee has been just fine but we overpaid for him (6 yrs. $100 million). Tim is a complementary piece & not the guy in charge. He kissed butt to the top & now is out of work.

I do feel for Gar. I know him, his wife, & kids well from A&M days. Swam at his house in Kingwood. Nice people. Gar had no chance with this roster given to him by Purpura. You can't win the Kentucky Derby riding a donkey. Gar will be fine & enjoy life, you can bet on that. He'll be riding his Harley, hunting & fishing, & spending time with his kids & grandkids. I just wish it had ended better.

PR move by Drayton plain & simple. I hope they bring in a young, vibrant GM with a proven track record. GM is more important than the field manager. Scouting & player development is essential. Doing the things Purpura could not do. Astros are in a rebuilding mode right now.

JasperDog94
08-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Astros are in a rebuilding mode right now. No doubt. But you'll never hear Drayton admit it.

g$$
08-28-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
No doubt. But you'll never hear Drayton admit it.

You are correct as Drayton will never admit it. Astros need new leadership & Drayton needs to let his baseball people do their jobs. Drayton is a business man & knows very little about baseball. It will take a strong personality (like Hunsicker was) to get the job done.

JasperDog94
08-28-2007, 01:45 PM
Can you imagine how good we would be right now if Drayton had a payroll in the 90s and early 2000s like he had in 2004 and 2005?

g$$
08-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Can you imagine how good we would be right now if Drayton had a payroll in the 90s and early 2000s like he had in 2004 and 2005?

Very good, & would not have lost a lot of key players like we did. The payroll now is just fine, but must make better decisions & not lock up all your $$ in a few players. I am just glad Purp is history. Guy was a weasel & jerk to be honest. Very paranoid too. Good riddance.