PDA

View Full Version : By The Book

CenTexSports
08-27-2007, 08:09 AM
OK, another rules question (I know the answer).

When a team wins the toss, what are their options? Remember the topic title.

Gsquared
08-27-2007, 08:12 AM
Kick, receive, or defer option till the second half.

CenTexSports
08-27-2007, 08:16 AM
No

charlesrixey
08-27-2007, 08:19 AM
choose their end zone to defend?

CenTexSports
08-27-2007, 09:20 AM
Three options:

1) Which team will kick off.

2) Which end to defend.

3) Choose one of the above for the start of the second half.

There is no defer in the book.

Gsquared
08-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Three options:

2) Which end to defend.

There is no defer in the book.
Dang, when I officiated I studied that book every year for 6 months.

Gsquared
08-27-2007, 09:22 AM
You will also find that there is no such thing as a "lateral" pass. Its either forward or backward.

mwynn05
08-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Three options:

2) Which end to defend.

There is no defer in the book. #3 is defer

CenTexSports
08-27-2007, 10:10 AM
I was at a meeting Saturday with a group of officials that collectively had well over 100 years of experience (4 men). We read this rule several times and it does not say defer and the way it is written it appears that the choice has to be made when the original toss is made. I re-read it this morning and there is a way to see that the winning team gets to make that choice at the beginning of the second half. However I thought it was interesting that you choose who is to kick and not that you want the ball or want to receive the kick.

Gsquared
08-27-2007, 10:14 AM
I cant tell you how many times this happend when I was officiating. The team captain of the team who won the toss elects to kick, several times I would ask are you sure??? This doesnt mean you get the option in the second half son. Do you mean defer? They would always say no, coach said he wanted to play defense first. I would have to take him to his sideline so the coach could correct him

crzyjournalist03
08-27-2007, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Gsquared
I cant tell you how many times this happend when I was officiating. The team captain of the team who won the toss elects to kick, several times I would ask are you sure??? This doesnt mean you get the option in the second half son. Do you mean defer? They would always say no, coach said he wanted to play defense first. I would have to take him to his sideline so the coach could correct him

so are you saying that if you elect to kick, that means you would kick both during the first and second half?

I always thought that it automatically reversed what happened in the first half when you started the second half.

Gsquared
08-27-2007, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
so are you saying that if you elect to kick, that means you would kick both during the first and second half?

I always thought that it automatically reversed what happened in the first half when you started the second half.
If you elect to kick, thats your choice for winning the toss. The team that loses the toss gets the option the second half and they will elect to recieve. This is why you want to defer your option till the second half if you want the ball to start the second half.

crzyjournalist03
08-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Gsquared
If you elect to kick, thats your choice for winning the toss. The team that loses the toss gets the option the second half and they will elect to recieve. This is why you want to defer your option till the second half if you want the ball to start the second half.

never knew that they made another decision at the start of the second half...guess you can tell I never played.

Gsquared
08-27-2007, 11:18 AM
never knew that they made another decision at the start of the second half...guess you can tell I never played.
Oh yeah, ref always has to ask , thats why the captains meet in the middle of the field with the white hat before kicking off the second half.

crzyjournalist03
08-27-2007, 11:21 AM
I wonder if anybody really has chosen to kick.

I remember a Broncos-Bills game in OT about ten years ago that the Broncos elected to kick and they made a big deal out of how much of a slap in the face it was to the Bills.

Gsquared
08-27-2007, 11:30 AM
I wonder if anybody really has chosen to kick.

I remember a Broncos-Bills game in OT about ten years ago that the Broncos elected to kick and they made a big deal out of how much of a slap in the face it was to the Bills.
Sometimes by mistake haha. Actually, Ive seen them purposly elect to kick in the second half when it was windy or something and trying to set themselves up with the wind for the 4th qtr