PDA

View Full Version : If a guy wanted to play volleyball...

KTJ
08-25-2007, 12:00 AM
Would you have a problem of a guy wanting to play volleyball? Would the UIL ever approve this? I don't see why they shouldn't, seeing as how the only guy volleyball teams in Texas are at the private schools.

However, the athletic advantages would be too great for whatever team said guy is on. I think the UIL would deny the request. But if they did, wouldn't that guy have a legit lawsuit?

Cameron Crazy
08-25-2007, 12:14 AM
I would agree on that!

burnet44
08-25-2007, 12:15 AM
no
the UIL offers Fb in the fall for boys
and vb for the girls
equal access to sports
same as baseball and softball in the spring

KTJ
08-25-2007, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by burnet44
no
and vb for the girls
equal access to sports

Football and volleyball aren't equal. They aren't the same sport. You can't tell someone who wants to play volleyball to just suck it up and play football.

And girls play football, right?

burnet44
08-25-2007, 01:03 AM
equal access

Ranger Mom
08-25-2007, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
Football and volleyball aren't equal. They aren't the same sport. You can't tell someone who wants to play volleyball to just suck it up and play football.

And girls play football, right?

When I first started following the Rangers...there was girl on the team....she was like 2nd or 3rd string kicker!!:D

Big Scary Girl!!!:eek:

thatsminty
08-25-2007, 01:07 AM
I wouldn't honestly care...because either way HE'S GOIN' DOWN!!!!!!

mustang04
08-25-2007, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by thatsminty
I wouldn't honestly care...because either way HE'S GOIN' DOWN!!!!!!

i bet i could take you in volleyball..... :D

when you have a team of guys (like my intramural team) who actually understand the concept of setting and whatnot, they pretty much romp girls in volleyball...i cant STAND playing against or with ppl who have never played before...it pisses me off when they just hit back and forth on first hits instead passing, setting, and spiking...that's why i dont really like pickup games unless they are against ppl who i kno will bring it

mustang04
08-25-2007, 01:36 AM
no
and vb for the girls
equal access to sports

sometimes i dont get you.....so by YOUR response...if a girl went to a football coach and said, "i wanna play football" the coach could say "sorry, if you wanna play a sport this time of year, yall girls have volleyball..."

and we alllll know this isn't how it works

thatsminty
08-25-2007, 02:52 AM
pfffffft reggie plz you dont know what Yer Talkin BOUT

burnet44
08-25-2007, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by mustang04
sometimes i dont get you.....so by YOUR response...if a girl went to a football coach and said, "i wanna play football" the coach could say "sorry, if you wanna play a sport this time of year, yall girls have volleyball..."

and we alllll know this isn't how it works

yes girls can play football
though ill advised
but as I stated
equal access
the boys have football
per UIL rule boys cant play on a girls team
the boys have a sport offered as do the girls
because of the competitive disadvantage
boys cant play on girls teams
even schools that dont have fb and play vb
if the boys were allowed to play then the girls team would
be composed of boys and in turn would be a boys team
again this is against UIL and Federation rules
there is no competitive disadvantage of a gilr playing on a boys team
there is when boys play on a girls team

Matthew328
08-25-2007, 07:54 AM
The rule hasn't been challeneged as of yet, but I imagine if a boy did challenege the legitimacy of the rule in court it would be interesting...

I agree that a boy on a girls team gives the girls team an advantage, but equal access doesn't techinically hold up because it appears only the girls have equal access to both sports.

Let's just say there is a boy who REALLY wants to play volleyball...he doesn't have access to that sports, whereas a girl who wants to play football does have equal access...

I know its in the rules that a boy cant play volleyball but I wonder what would happen if there ever was a serious challenge..

GreenMonster
08-25-2007, 09:00 AM
If a boy ever was allowed to play volleyball could you imagine the embarassment of having to wear those little bitty teeny tiny skin tight shorts that leave absolutely nothing to the imagination.

LH Panther Mom
08-25-2007, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
If a boy ever was allowed to play volleyball could you imagine the embarassment of having to wear those little bitty teeny tiny skin tight shorts that leave absolutely nothing to the imagination. Oh, good grief! Only you, GM. :p That visual image is just deplorable. :eek: :eek: :doh:

wookinpanub
08-25-2007, 09:46 AM
One way to fix this is to create boys volleyball in the spring so it wouldn't conflict with those who want to play both sports (vb and fb).

If they had to get rid of one sport under UIL and just keep it intact for external recreation or exercise, boys volleyball could replace boys cross country perhaps. I still don't understand the concept of cross country versus track, except that more runners get to participate and run longer distances instead of competing for legs on a relay team in track.

luvhoops34
08-25-2007, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by wookinpanub
One way to fix this is to create boys volleyball in the spring so it wouldn't conflict with those who want to play both sports (vb and fb).

If they had to get rid of one sport under UIL and just keep it intact for external recreation or exercise, boys volleyball could replace boys cross country perhaps. I still don't understand the concept of cross country versus track, except that more runners get to participate and run longer distances instead of competing for legs on a relay team in track.

No way are they going to take out boys cross country and replace it with track, ain't happenin'.

I would like to see boys vb as a hs sport. BUT they are going to have to figure out another sport for the girls to play, not take a sport away from the boys. I just don't see it happening for a long time.

KTJ
08-25-2007, 07:36 PM
yes girls can play football
though ill advised
but as I stated
equal access
the boys have football
per UIL rule boys cant play on a girls team
the boys have a sport offered as do the girls
because of the competitive disadvantage
boys cant play on girls teams
even schools that dont have fb and play vb
if the boys were allowed to play then the girls team would
be composed of boys and in turn would be a boys team
again this is against UIL and Federation rules
there is no competitive disadvantage of a gilr playing on a boys team
there is when boys play on a girls team

But it's not equal access. It could be equal access to one sex, not both. Moreover, something can be equal access if the sports are totally different. If playing volleyball is a guy's passion and he can get a scholly to a DI school, you are going to tell him that he needs to play football because it's "equal access" as volleyball is to girls?

Wow.

KTJ
08-25-2007, 07:37 PM
Oh, and 2 things--

1.) Matthew's answer pretty much sums up how I'm thinking. Good reply.

2.) This scenario isn't happening anywhere. I was just curious as to what would happen should it ever come up. I wonder if it has?

Phil C
08-25-2007, 07:42 PM
I admit I may not attend the games but I would have no problem if they wanted to have a volleyball team for the boys to play that wanted.

I remember when I was in high school the Freer football players played a game against the volleyball girls team and had a 14 to 8 lead and one point from winning and they wound up losing the game 16 - 14. The guys had a big lead and started to clown around and lost it. Even after the game they had no shame and took it as a joke.

But maybe it was a good thing because they girls had a very successful season as did the boys in football.

Nice to have a happy ending what! :)

loboes86
08-25-2007, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by wookinpanub

If they had to get rid of one sport under UIL and just keep it intact for external recreation or exercise, boys volleyball could replace boys cross country perhaps. I still don't understand the concept of cross country versus track, except that more runners get to participate and run longer distances instead of competing for legs on a relay team in track. Cross Country is a team and an individual sport as well. What part of the concept don't you understand. The mental as well as the physical stamina part or the rules that they run by.

olddawggreen
08-25-2007, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Would you have a problem of a guy wanting to play volleyball? Would the UIL ever approve this? I don't see why they shouldn't, seeing as how the only guy volleyball teams in Texas are at the private schools.

However, the athletic advantages would be too great for whatever team said guy is on. I think the UIL would deny the request. But if they did, wouldn't that guy have a legit lawsuit?

I personally would hate to see a guy dressed up in those little short shorts that the volleyball girls wear.:eek: