PDA

View Full Version : Is realignment this year?

KTJ
08-24-2007, 11:00 PM
Am I wrong on that?

wookinpanub
08-24-2007, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Am I wrong on that?

Feb. 2008

This takes place in AUstin every two years. You know.... Austin.... the only place that exists in your world. :-)

zebrablue2
08-24-2007, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Am I wrong on that?

next spring for 2008-2009 football seasons.

Johnny 5
08-24-2007, 11:19 PM
I heard San Diego and Lyford are on the verge of going to 2A, and La Feria and Hidalgo are on the verge of going to 4A.

If all that happens, do you think they would combine 32- and 31-3A?

But then I might have heard wrong on the numbers :)

GreenMonster
08-25-2007, 09:10 AM
There is still the outside possibility that the UIL will decide to stretch class 3A on both ends to try to create a classification structure similar to the 6 man structure where the big schools are in their own districts and the small schools are in their own districts. It makes more sense to attempt this in 3A than in any other classification due to the wide differences from top number to bottom number. In 4A and 5A there is a wide difference as well but you can find 22 players out of the 1000 or 2000 kids on your campus. That isn't neccessarily true in the world of 3A football where enrollments range from 950-ish down to what, 300 or so. Hard to find 22 kids out of 300 that can play. In 2A and 1A the numbers disparity isn't as wide so it isn't as big a deal when the big school in the district plays the small school in the district.

wookinpanub
08-25-2007, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
There is still the outside possibility that the UIL will decide to stretch class 3A on both ends to try to create a classification structure similar to the 6 man structure where the big schools are in their own districts and the small schools are in their own districts. It makes more sense to attempt this in 3A than in any other classification due to the wide differences from top number to bottom number. In 4A and 5A there is a wide difference as well but you can find 22 players out of the 1000 or 2000 kids on your campus. That isn't neccessarily true in the world of 3A football where enrollments range from 950-ish down to what, 300 or so. Hard to find 22 kids out of 300 that can play. In 2A and 1A the numbers disparity isn't as wide so it isn't as big a deal when the big school in the district plays the small school in the district.

Is it just me or does anyone else just wish the hell they'd destroy this stupid two-tiered system altogether. The only people who even remotely favor it are coaches because it gives them a cheesy way to indicate they made the playoffs on their resumes to attempt getting better jobs. The year Caldwell made the playoffs with a 3-7 record, I remember thinking - why are we here, people? This is dumb.

I'll bet a half dozen people on this board or maybe even beyond could tell you who won BOTH divisions in each classification before two years ago. It's like in FHA or FFA when they create some office to make kids feel special by being "honored" as the 13th vice president in charge of programs.

That's one thing about some other sports like volleyball and basketball: When you win state, you have it all to yourself - no halfsies.

LH Panther Mom
08-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Considering my son has a ring, I have absolutely NO problem with having 2 divisions. And I can guarantee that the Bandera folks have no problem with having 3 teams from the district in the playoffs.

wookinpanub
08-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Considering my son has a ring, I have absolutely NO problem with having 2 divisions. And I can guarantee that the Bandera folks have no problem with having 3 teams from the district in the playoffs.

I don't remember saying a single word about having a problem with three teams in the playoffs, especially if they have at least four wins and are from a strong district, but there's got to be a way to create a "bye" or something in the playoffs to where only one team wins state. If they can do that in volleyball, why not football?

... this argument is in your favor, anyway. Liberty Hill would have defeated Liberty Eylau, so lighten up.

My point is simply that if you have five state champions, they have "more" to brag about than having to put the words Division I or II on bumper stickers that have so many words on the sticker you pass the car by the time you finish reading it.

LH Panther Mom
08-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by wookinpanub
I don't remember saying a single word about having a problem with three teams in the playoffs, That's just usually part of the DI/DII argument, so I figured I'd cover it while I was posting. :p

3afan
08-25-2007, 09:35 AM
when someone says "I played on a state championship football team" no one is gonna ask 'em if there were 2 champs in their classification or not ............ players, coaches, 99% of the fans like it the way it is

wookinpanub
08-25-2007, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
when someone says "I played on a state championship football team" no one is gonna ask 'em if there were 2 champs in their classification or not ............ players, coaches, 99% of the fans like it the way it is

Players on the team maybe, but not necessarily "all" fans. Bottom line: It generates money from ticket revenue.

You have to be a die-hard football fan to understand how awesome it was when there was one champion. To say 99 percent is stretching by at least 50 percent, IMO.

luvhoops34
08-25-2007, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Johnny 5
I heard San Diego and Lyford are on the verge of going to 2A, and La Feria and Hidalgo are on the verge of going to 4A.

If all that happens, do you think they would combine 32- and 31-3A?

But then I might have heard wrong on the numbers :)

If this happens it will definitely shake up 31 & 32 3A.:D No telling what the UIL will do with the numbers, though. It's always a crap shoot.

Look at it this way, the possibilities are endless and will give y'all lots to talk about on RGV.com.:D

charlesrixey
08-25-2007, 10:17 AM
i think in most years, the best team from both divisions is fairly plain

and the bottom of 3A is around 420, not 300