PDA

View Full Version : Hold that Co-ed!

Phil C
08-24-2007, 10:21 AM
This is a great 1938 football movie (so I am still on the subject of football) and is very funny and will on the Fox Movie Channel at 5 A.M. on Wednesday Sept. 5, 2007. I know that is early so set those recorders. I saw this movie about 40 years ago and it is very funny and in fact when it was first released it was called the satire of the season. It is loosely based on LA Gov. Huey Long.
It is mainly about a football game played between State U and their big rival. It stars John Barrymore (Drew's Grandfather) as Gov. Gabby Herrigan and he is outstanding as the shaddy but likable and funny governor of the state. Also Joan Davis is very good and funny as the football playing co-ed as is George Murphy as the football coach. But in the end it is Barrymore who really carries this movie and steals every scene he is in. The movie is not only great as a funny satire but also it is worth it to see the great John Barrymore in one of his great roles.
Enjoy!

Phil C
08-24-2007, 10:25 AM
As another background on this movie when I first saw it I didn't know much about John Barrymore except I had heard he was a great actor. I thought he had the role of the State U football coach (which was played by George Murphy). My mother watched it with me and I commented that Barrymore was a good actor who played the coach and she corrected me by telling me that the old Governor was the one being played by John Barrymore. Sometimes it is handy indeed to have older folks watch these older movies with you. :)

Phil C
08-25-2007, 07:51 PM
ttt

Phil C
09-02-2007, 08:25 AM
It is coming soon!

shankbear
09-02-2007, 08:43 AM
but this is a high school football site....I just read that in a post higher than this one......by Dr. PhilC himself.