PDA

View Full Version : More problems for LSU

luvhoops34
08-24-2007, 01:09 AM
LSU suspends linebacker Odom following arrest

ESPN.com news services

Updated: August 23, 2007, 11:00 PM ET

BATON ROUGE, La. -- LSU linebacker Derrick Odom III, considered one of the top prospects coming out of Mississippi in 2006, was arrested Thursday. He is accused of trying to break into a condo near campus following an argument with the person who lives there, police said.

The specific charges against Odom, of Jackson, Miss., were not immediately available, but LSU spokesman Michael Bonnett late Thursday confirmed the arrest and said coach Les Miles had indefinitely suspended Odom from the team while an investigation into the incident continues.

Odom was redshirted as a freshman last year, but was expected to see some playing time this season in a backup capacity, officials said.

Detectives believe Odom went to a young man's home after getting into an argument with him. The young man called his father, and at some point Odom allegedly threatened the older man, detectives told WAFB-TV of Baton Rouge.

Once he couldn't force his way through the condo's door, he allegedly vandalized the young man's car which was parked in a lot nearby, detectives said.

Several other LSU players allegedly were involved, but police Sgt. Don Kelly said he could not provide details of the arrest or the case.

As a senior at Callaway High School, Odom made 100 tackles with 12 sacks and 12 forced fumbles, according to the LSU media guide.

Odom is apparently the third member of LSU's 2006 signing class to get into trouble with the law.

Defensive back Troy Giddens of Hammond and offensive lineman Zhamal Thomas of New Iberia were arrested this past spring and later kicked off the team by Miles.

LSU, ranked second in the nation, opens the season on Thursday at Mississippi State.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2989044

g$$
08-24-2007, 02:07 AM
18 handicap:

Better get control of your guys or I will have to get on your school! Just kidding, it happens everywhere but I hope they get rid of this guy (or others) if proven to be true.

BTW everybody: A&M's Fran kicked off DB Brock Newton from what I understand. Japhus Brown (Edna) did not make his grades too. So that is 2 reserve DBs who have bitten the dust before the year starts. One thing Fran has proven to be is a disciplinarian (kicked off 9 his 1st calendar year). I applaud him for that, now win some games.

Phil C
08-24-2007, 08:08 AM
With the problems we've had at UT I take no pleasure in this news. I really wish these young men would appreciate and understand the great opportunity they have in playing college ball not just because of making a lot of money in the pros but getting a chance to have a good education.

18handicap
08-24-2007, 12:06 PM
I don't see that as much of a problem. I don't know if he was going to be a contributor anyway.

IHS Fan
08-24-2007, 12:55 PM
a freshman offensive lineman for lsu was arrested last year for burglary of a habitation. this year he is playing for navarro. i guess he really was offensive.