PDA

View Full Version : Just an FYI going forward

Matthew328
08-23-2007, 10:31 PM
This is what I have told the other mods....

My first inclination was to cut the site for good and just end it...I am fed up wth the crap and the whining that goes on...I've said it before and I've said it again, this place IS NOT AND NEVER WILL BE A DEMOCRACY...get over it...if you don't like the rules set forth...TYA and for those who don't know what it means, it means go, leave, don't come back..we don't want you here...I make no money off the site and don't plan on it so you not posting here doesn't hurt me in the least bit..I hate to sound like that but that's the way it is.

My personal thought is that if the posters want 3ADL back then they REALLY need to shy away from controversial subjects and non-football posts...
Being a mod involves a lot of judgement calls and if the posters don't want their fate or the sites fate held in the hands of others then the questionable posts and threads need to be kept to a minimum at best. For the people who don't want the questionable stuff to linger and put the fate of the board at risk then I suggest police yourselves. If you see a thread that is getting questionable then DON'T REPLY!! The people who continue to post on those threads are only pouring gasoline on the fire, eventually the threads will die and those people who post will hang themselves.

The Questioning of mods in public forum WILL NOT BE TOLERATED from here on out, plain and simple...if there is even a hint of it the poster will be ROM'd without warning. NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

The ONLY reason I am bringing the site back is the people who paid money for donations, but this is it.....if everything stays the same I'll close the site for good and ask Admin to cut the server.

zebrablue2
08-23-2007, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328

My first inclination was to cut the site for good and just end it...I am fed up wth the crap and the whining that goes on...I've said it before and I've said it again, this place IS NOT AND NEVER WILL BE A DEMOCRACY...get over it...if you don't like the rules set forth...TYA and for those who don't know what it means, it means go, leave, don't come back..we don't want you here...I make no money off the site and don't plan on it so you not posting here doesn't hurt me in the least bit..I hate to sound like that but that's the way it is.

My personal thought is that if the posters want 3ADL back then they REALLY need to shy away from controversial subjects and non-football posts...
Being a mod involves a lot of judgement calls and if the posters don't want their fate or the sites fate held in the hands of others then the questionable posts and threads need to be kept to a minimum at best. For the people who don't want the questionable stuff to linger and put the fate of the board at risk then I suggest police yourselves. If you see a thread that is getting questionable then DON'T REPLY!! The people who continue to post on those threads are only pouring gasoline on the fire, eventually the threads will die and those people who post will hang themselves.

The Questioning of mods in public forum WILL NOT BE TOLERATED from here on out, plain and simple...if there is even a hint of it the poster will be ROM'd without warning. NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

The ONLY reason I am bringing the site back is the people who paid money for donations, but this is it.....if everything stays the same I'll close the site for good and ask Admin to cut the server.

thanks for bringing the site back up. great place to keep up with sports. special thanks to you and the mods for the all the time put in. the downlow is BACK, and BETTER THAN EVER.

g$$
08-24-2007, 12:03 AM
Thanks for all the work & time y'all put in to have a quality site. I have been away for a few days & wondered what was going on - now I know. I hope 3aDL can continue to be an information source for us all.

BullFrog Dad
08-24-2007, 07:07 AM
Back in April of 2001 there was a message board called SouthernDirtbike.com. It was as busy for Texas motocross as the 3ADL is for HS football. They shut it down for about a week for the same reasons as this board did. When it came back up it was never the same. Over half the members bailed and post count dropped to a % of what it was before. Here's to hoping that doesn't happen here. I missed you 3ADL, I missed you bad!

Phil C
08-24-2007, 08:05 AM

Matt has made it very clear and it is up to us to obey the rules he has set forth and the mods. No more Tour de France, Spurs basketball, UT women's sports such as soccer, volley ball, etc, movies (except for those that have football in it, no Dawn at Socorro, etc. I am a company man so I will adjust my posts to football related topics as dictated by Matt. Thanks for bringing it back Matt and giving us another chance.

burnet44
08-24-2007, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
No more Tour de France

OMG
where is the TDF board?

Maroon87
08-24-2007, 10:19 AM

I agree 1,000%.:clap:

18handicap
08-24-2007, 12:14 PM

I just have one question to make sure I'm clear -- no disrespect intended at all since I also run a forum.

Is it my understanding that you don't want non-football posts at all? As in -- no AAA basketball, AAA volleyball, AAA baseball, AAA softball, etc.? I'm fine either way, but being a softball coach, I was still hoping to talk a little softball in the spring.

Thanks for clearing my question up!

sinfan75
08-24-2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks for bringin back up. Enjoy readin all the scores from around the state. don't post much but i"ve been on this board a long time and really enjoy readin the sports related topics, not the off the wall stuff. Again thanks.

crzyjournalist03
08-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by 18handicap
I just have one question to make sure I'm clear -- no disrespect intended at all since I also run a forum.

Is it my understanding that you don't want non-football posts at all? As in -- no AAA basketball, AAA volleyball, AAA baseball, AAA softball, etc.? I'm fine either way, but being a softball coach, I was still hoping to talk a little softball in the spring.

Thanks for clearing my question up!

maybe I read it a little differently, but I think Matt is lumping the two together like "Don't post stuff that's controversial and has nothing to do with football." I don't think that we have to get rid of Non-football posts entirely, but I think we all know there's a big difference between a fun game thread or a softball thread and a global warming or abortion thread.

turbostud
08-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
OMG
where is the TDF board?
You will be surprised at the stuff you read on this forum.

link (http://www.cyclingforums.com/f30-grand-tours---giro---tour-de-france---vuelta-a-españa.html)

just start here...... (http://www.cyclingforums.com/t420770.html)

18handicap
08-24-2007, 01:51 PM
I agree, but also as an English teacher, I sometimes read a little too much into it, so I tried to read it as literal as it looks.

Phil C
08-24-2007, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by 18handicap
I agree, but also as an English teacher, I sometimes read a little too much into it, so I tried to read it as literal as it looks.

Maybe I did too 18. I hope so. ;)

MarginalTalent
08-24-2007, 05:37 PM
I was lost, but now I'm found.

Thank you M328. This is a great 3A football board when people are talking football.

kaorder1999
08-24-2007, 11:12 PM
wow...guess i missed a lot

slpybear the bullfan
08-25-2007, 12:36 AM
non-football topics are allowed.

Ones that cross the line are not.

Simple.

;)

burnet44
08-25-2007, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
non-football topics are allowed.

Ones that cross the line are not.

Simple.

;)

dude your alive?
cool

simple
wow

18handicap
08-25-2007, 05:39 AM
That's what I thought at this early morning after driving one of the varsity buses to Tomball (I video, so I might as well drive when asked), and already up to drive the varsity volleyball team to Houston (we don't have enough girls coaches to drive).

I just wanted to make sure.

burnet44
08-25-2007, 03:02 PM
ouch

sinton66
08-25-2007, 03:11 PM
During their respective seasons, there is nothing at all wrong with other 3A Sports topics. We have always allowed them to be posted and discussed. I enjoy 3A Baseball and Softball myself.

Phil C
08-25-2007, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
During their respective seasons, there is nothing at all wrong with other 3A Sports topics. We have always allowed them to be posted and discussed. I enjoy 3A Baseball and Softball myself.

Hey 66 it looks like UT's women's soccer team is going to be good this year too. They and the Lady Aggies are in the preseason top ten! :)

Maroon87
08-25-2007, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Hey 66 it looks like UT's women's soccer team is going to be good this year too. They and the Lady Aggies are in the preseason top ten! :)

Phil, stop kissing the Aggies' butts. It's embarassing.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-25-2007, 06:47 PM
You know, this whole thread just rubs me the wrong way, but that should come as little suprise to some. This is a dictatorship that has been funded by the posters in both time, dedication, and money. There have been a group of people here who have been here for an extended period of time who have helped shape this place into what it is and they are the same people who come back in the offseason. They provide controversy, humor, and insight. They are loved and they are hated. They are the backbone of the Down Low. They're moderators and posters alike, the people who have been really dedicated to this place and are here on a daily basis. I consider myself to be a person who is one of these posters, and I have raised my voice before when I disagreed and in no facet of my life am I going to stop. Matt, for you to threaten everyone with an instant ROM shows lack of gratitude in my eyes for everyone who has contributed to this board. I'm not going to be grateful because you brought the Down Low back, for you not to would have been fraud for accepting donations from everyone from something that doesn't exist. This place has been a springboard for you and your career, and you close it down on a whim and threaten to take it away for those who object. Well, this is my objection, you can take it how you like.

Phil C
08-25-2007, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Phil, stop kissing the Aggies' butts. It's embarassing.

:eek:

:)

Matthew328
08-25-2007, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
You know, this whole thread just rubs me the wrong way, but that should come as little suprise to some. This is a dictatorship that has been funded by the posters in both time, dedication, and money. There have been a group of people here who have been here for an extended period of time who have helped shape this place into what it is and they are the same people who come back in the offseason. They provide controversy, humor, and insight. They are loved and they are hated. They are the backbone of the Down Low. They're moderators and posters alike, the people who have been really dedicated to this place and are here on a daily basis. I consider myself to be a person who is one of these posters, and I have raised my voice before when I disagreed and in no facet of my life am I going to stop. Matt, for you to threaten everyone with an instant ROM shows lack of gratitude in my eyes for everyone who has contributed to this board. I'm not going to be grateful because you brought the Down Low back, for you not to would have been fraud for accepting donations from everyone from something that doesn't exist. This place has been a springboard for you and your career, and you close it down on a whim and threaten to take it away for those who object. Well, this is my objection, you can take it how you like.

You are welcome to disagree, however it works both ways....for posters to blatantly disregard rules and requests from mods who volunteer their time and energy to the board rubs me the wrong way. It's always a two way street, the mods and myself would not have to do what we do if a certian segment of the posters would simply follow the rules.

As for the fraud issue, if I would have shut the board down on a permanent basis the funds would have been returned to the donating members so its a moot point.

Feel free to disagree with the spirit of the message but I strongly encourage not only you but everyone else to take my advice strongly.

18handicap
08-25-2007, 10:41 PM
So this still leaves a question unanswered from Matt (even though others have chimed in). Is this a 3A high school football board only?? or is it a 3A high school sports board? Are we going to be ok to talk about basketball, softball, etc.?

I'm not trying to start anything, but going by the quote you made at the beginning of this thread and I want to be clear because I believe Matt is very clear of how he wants the board to run and I don't have a problem with that at all.

pirate4state
08-25-2007, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
^^^^ for 18hanicap ;)

Matthew328
08-25-2007, 10:47 PM
All I am saying is the non-football stuff should be avoided if at all possible....this is mainly meant for subjects which are of a controversial nature that could cause problems..

Personally I would like to keep the board on topic with football as much as possible but that's just my opinion and I'm not going to force this on anyone

pirate4state
08-25-2007, 10:51 PM
All I am saying is the non-football stuff should be avoided if at all possible....this is mainly meant for subjects which are of a controversial nature that could cause problems..

Personally I would like to keep the board on topic with football as much as possible but that's just my opinion and I'm not going to force this on anyone

I agree that during football it should be about football. Now, we all know I'm one of the problem children when it comes to hijacking a thread, but I am gonna try really hard this year NOT to do this during football season.

Carry on. :)

Maroon87
08-26-2007, 12:47 AM

Lighten up, Francis.;)

rockdale80
08-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Non football topics are my favorite. I truly believe if this was ONLY a 3a football site it would have died long ago.

Fal44
08-27-2007, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Non football topics are my favorite. I truly believe if this was ONLY a 3a football site it would have died long ago.

yeah I totally agree, this a great board filled with alto of personality and their are a lot of great conversation which aren’t related to 3a football.

Old Tiger
08-27-2007, 01:17 AM
You know, this whole thread just rubs me the wrong way, but that should come as little suprise to some. This is a dictatorship that has been funded by the posters in both time, dedication, and money. There have been a group of people here who have been here for an extended period of time who have helped shape this place into what it is and they are the same people who come back in the offseason. They provide controversy, humor, and insight. They are loved and they are hated. They are the backbone of the Down Low. They're moderators and posters alike, the people who have been really dedicated to this place and are here on a daily basis. I consider myself to be a person who is one of these posters, and I have raised my voice before when I disagreed and in no facet of my life am I going to stop. Matt, for you to threaten everyone with an instant ROM shows lack of gratitude in my eyes for everyone who has contributed to this board. I'm not going to be grateful because you brought the Down Low back, for you not to would have been fraud for accepting donations from everyone from something that doesn't exist. This place has been a springboard for you and your career, and you close it down on a whim and threaten to take it away for those who object. Well, this is my objection, you can take it how you like. I consider myself one of those posters too and I agree with Gary on a majority of his comments.

mustang04
08-27-2007, 01:38 AM
yeah....ppl dont realize that you can only talk about sooo much football....non-football threads play their part as something to enjoy while waiting for a response on a football thread or just waiting for a football thread to come up

Matthew328
08-27-2007, 10:26 PM
Like I said I have no problem with non-football threads..BUT 99% of the ROM's come from them also..all I am saying is if you want to play it safe you may want to stick to the subject at hand....and shy away from non-football stuff....

If you want to play with fire you'll eventually get burned

g$$
08-28-2007, 01:35 PM
Like I said I have no problem with non-football threads..BUT 99% of the ROM's come from them also..all I am saying is if you want to play it safe you may want to stick to the subject at hand....and shy away from non-football stuff....

If you want to play with fire you'll eventually get burned

I am fine with the non-controversial stuff you mentioned. I can play by the rules too. I certainly hope other sports can be discussed, esp. of the 3A variety. 18 has a great point.

But, if you limit yourself to "only football threads", then your site will die on the vine. You are severely limiting yourself by doing that. You have a great site where people can talk about a variety of topics, hopefully cordially. I think saying "only football" & making threats will cause your site's demise & I hope that is not the case. I appreciate this site & always have. I hope when you calm down a little that you will re-evaluate your thinking.

Matthew328
08-28-2007, 01:47 PM
Someone tell me where I said non-football posts are not allowed?????

All I am saying is typically the trouble comes from non-football posts...I guess everyone can interpret things their own way but trust me if I wanted this to be football only there would be an announcement stating such.

g$$
08-28-2007, 02:38 PM

Pretty much right there. You said you would not "force this on anyone" but strongly suggested "football only". Right?

spiveyrat
08-28-2007, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
wow...guess i missed a lot

You're not the only one! :eek:

Matthew328
08-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Pretty much right there. You said you would not "force this on anyone" but strongly suggested "football only". Right?

Again I said I would not force it on anyone and yes I strongly suggested but I never said they were not allowed..there is a difference...

Most can handle posting on non-football topics without going over the line..however for those who can't my suggestion is stick to football....if you can handle posting on non-football threads then you have nothing to worry yourself over

g$$
08-28-2007, 03:39 PM
Again I said I would not force it on anyone and yes I strongly suggested but I never said they were not allowed..there is a difference...

Most can handle posting on non-football topics without going over the line..however for those who can't my suggestion is stick to football....if you can handle posting on non-football threads then you have nothing to worry yourself over

OK, not worried just clarifying. Thanks.

JR2004
08-28-2007, 11:08 PM

Well I'll be darned. I didn't know this site was down. I will say this though for maybe the first time to BBDE.

I completely agree with every single point you made.