PDA

View Full Version : How many..................

burnet44
08-16-2007, 01:18 PM
of you are still living at home with your parents?

This phenomenon cuts across all demographics. You'll find it in families both rich and poor; black, white, Asian and Hispanic; urban, suburban and rural. According to the Census Bureau, fully one-third of young women ages 22 to 35 are still living at home with their parents.

Helicopter Parents and Boomerang Kids

For some parents, you've completed the marathon only to find out they've moved the finish line. For employers, the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be a locomotive.

Much has been written about Generation X, those born between 1964 and 1980. The Xers challenged managers with their independent attitudes, demanding meteoric career paths while securing a healthy dose of work-life balance. To make matters more difficult, this generation of replacement workers numbered less than half of the preceding Baby Boomers. In other words, just at a time when Boomers were jumping ship for new opportunities or preparing for early retirement, their replacements walked, talked and worked nothing like them….and there were fewer of them.

Over a decade has passed since the Gen-Xers first entered the workforce. Most managers have finally accepted Xers for whom they are - even if they still don't like the me at all cost attitude.

What does this mean for employers? Remember a time when high school graduates got a job or went off to college. These young adults couldn't wait to be on their own, renting apartments or buying houses, getting married and starting families. They left home rarely to return again.

Fast forward to 2006 and the world of "helicopter parents" and "boomerang kids." And while we're at it, let's throw in another group of workers: the sandwich generation.

Today, many kids don't leave home. Just a decade or three ago, employees living at home were doomed to no-growth careers. Men living at home were considered momma boys, women were old maids. Time's are a-changin'. According to the National Survey of Households and Families, Ten percent of all children over the age of 25 now live with their parents. Even more surprising is that one third of all American women between the ages of 22 and 35 still live with their parents according to the Census Bureau.

I didnt realize so many people still lived with their parents.

CHS_CG
08-16-2007, 01:32 PM
What is a husdand???:confused:

Ranger Mom
08-16-2007, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG

You brat!!:D :D

I edited it for him!:p

CHS_CG
08-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
You brat!!:D :D

I edited it for him!:p

Hey its a legit question!

Ranger Mom
08-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Hey its a legit question!

Kinda like what is an F-bomb???;)

luvhoops34
08-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
of you are still living at home with your parents?

This phenomenon cuts across all demographics. You'll find it in families both rich and poor; black, white, Asian and Hispanic; urban, suburban and rural. According to the Census Bureau, fully one-third of young women ages 22 to 35 are still living at home with their parents.

Helicopter Parents and Boomerang Kids

For some parents, you've completed the marathon only to find out they've moved the finish line. For employers, the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be a locomotive.

Much has been written about Generation X, those born between 1964 and 1980. The Xers challenged managers with their independent attitudes, demanding meteoric career paths while securing a healthy dose of work-life balance. To make matters more difficult, this generation of replacement workers numbered less than half of the preceding Baby Boomers. In other words, just at a time when Boomers were jumping ship for new opportunities or preparing for early retirement, their replacements walked, talked and worked nothing like them….and there were fewer of them.

Over a decade has passed since the Gen-Xers first entered the workforce. Most managers have finally accepted Xers for whom they are - even if they still don't like the me at all cost attitude.

What does this mean for employers? Remember a time when high school graduates got a job or went off to college. These young adults couldn't wait to be on their own, renting apartments or buying houses, getting married and starting families. They left home rarely to return again.

Fast forward to 2006 and the world of "helicopter parents" and "boomerang kids." And while we're at it, let's throw in another group of workers: the sandwich generation.

Today, many kids don't leave home. Just a decade or three ago, employees living at home were doomed to no-growth careers. Men living at home were considered momma boys, women were old maids. Time's are a-changin'. According to the National Survey of Households and Families, Ten percent of all children over the age of 25 now live with their parents. Even more surprising is that one third of all American women between the ages of 22 and 35 still live with their parents according to the Census Bureau.

I didnt realize so many people still lived with their parents.

Awww, are you getting the empty nest syndrome?:D

CHS_CG
08-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Kinda like what is an F-bomb???;)

no everybody knows what an f-bomb is... a husdand on the other hand... i have never heard of it.

Old Tiger
08-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Irony

burnet44
08-16-2007, 01:46 PM

I gotta leave somethig for the grammor Nazi's
they might get mad if I didnt

IHStangFan
08-16-2007, 01:47 PM
I joined the military before I ever got out of HS in the delayed entry program. 2 months into my summer I was in basic training at Ft. Sill, OK in 1995. After getting out of the military, I contracted w/ the gov. for a few years....returning to my parents house after each contract as I did not have a place of my own due to living overseas for each contract. I am now 30 yrs old, married, and we own a house. I am thinking about doing the overseas contracting again to pay said house and all other bills off within a couple of years.

Ranger Mom
08-16-2007, 01:49 PM
no everybody knows what an f-bomb is... a husdand on the other hand... i have never heard of it.

Okay...I just gave you more credit than that....I didn't realize you were "challenged"

Here is what he originally wrote"

"I dont have a bf/gf/wife/husdand"

Didn't think it took a rocket scientist to figure THAT one out!!:p :p

CenTexSports
08-16-2007, 01:49 PM
You left out my son. Not living at home but still mostly supported by your parents.

Ranger Mom
08-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Was this poll that you could vote more than one option??

I fit into 2 of those categories!!

IHStangFan
08-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Okay...I just gave you more credit than that....I didn't realize you were "challenged"

Didn't think it took a rocket scientist to figure THAT one out!!:p :p are they not teaching "context clues" in elementary school these days? :p

burnet44
08-16-2007, 01:52 PM
sorry there were not enough poll choices to cover all demographics

but yes you are supporting him so kinda like at home
your paying for it anyway

crzyjournalist03
08-16-2007, 02:51 PM

Didn't think it took a rocket scientist to figure THAT one out!!:p :p

you missed one! :p

rangerjoe33
08-16-2007, 02:57 PM
When I first read "bf/gf"

I thought it meant "big freakin girl friend/husband....etc."

burnet44
08-16-2007, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by rangerjoe33
When I first read "bf/gf"

I thought it meant "big freakin girl friend/husband....etc."

Im just glad they dont sit on a ........................

chair

Was this poll that you could vote more than one option??

I fit into 2 of those categories!!

yes i made it as usre friendly as possible
number 11 confussed was not a choice
my bad Im sorry please forgive

crzyjournalist03
08-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Kind of a curve that you'd expect...as people get older, the less likely they are to live with their parents.