PDA

View Full Version : Junior will NOT drive under the number 8 next year

CHS_CG
08-16-2007, 12:12 PM
Numbers game ends: Junior out of the No. 8
By Raygan Swan, NASCAR.COM
August 15, 2007
06:30 PM EDT

type size: + -Tattoo parlors will be busy during the offseason: Dale Earnhardt Jr. will not drive the No. 8 in 2008.

"We've been working hard to secure the No. 8 for Dale Jr.'s car number next season," Hendrick Motorsports general manager Marshall Carlson said Tuesday. "Obviously, he has a tremendous history with that number, and we know how important it is to his fans.

"Unfortunately, we couldn't reach a point where the terms made sense, and now we have to move forward with other options."

NASCAR "owns" the car numbers and teams generally keep the same numbers year over year. The rule -- Section 20 - 3.11 -- reads, in part: All NASCAR Nextel Cup Series car numbers are owned by and will be assigned by NASCAR for use by the car owner. Car numbers are not transferable or assignable by the car owner.

"Our hope was to carry the No. 8 with Dale Jr. to his new team, but the last proposal Hendrick Motorsports received from DEI just wasn't viable," said Kelley E. Elledge, vice president and general manager for JR Motorsports.

"It was a difficult decision, but all of us agreed that it was best to move in another direction. There's disappointment, of course, but we look forward to working with Hendrick Motorsports on what will be a great program for Dale Jr. and his fans in 2008."

Earnhardt has driven the No. 8 car since his Cup Series debut on May 30, 1999, at Charlotte. In 277 starts, the third generation driver has 17 wins, 73 top-five finishes and 117 top-10s.

No timetable has been set for an announcement of Earnhardt's car number or team sponsor.

A two-time Busch Series champion, Earnhardt has sported several numbers in that series with an 8 theme -- 87, 8, 81 and, most recently, 88 on July 7 at Daytona.

Old Tiger
08-16-2007, 12:33 PM
He should drive under #3

CHS_CG
08-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
He should drive under #3

As much as I would LOVE to see that, it wont happen... hes already said thats his dad's number not his and couldnt do drive that car. I think he will just be in the #5 with the sponsers it already has.. which is fine with me. My 2nd favorite driver drove that car for years. (Terry Labonte)

Bull Butter
08-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Other drivers don't get to take their sponsors and numbers with them when they change teams. I don't see why Jr. should get any special consideration.

Very few NASCAR drivers have kept the same sponsor & number with them their entire careers.

CHS_CG
08-16-2007, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Other drivers don't get to take their sponsors and numbers with them when they change teams. I don't see why Jr. should get any special consideration.

Very few NASCAR drivers have kept the same sponsor & number with them their entire careers.

its not his choice to take it or not but if his new team feels they would like that number they can throw down a deal to nascar and see if they accept..

as far as the sponsers goes, they can choose to leave that team if the driver they were sponsering leaves... They can also try to make deals with the new team. In Jr's case Hendrick already has his sponsers all lined out for the 08 season.. there is no room for Budweiser to come over.

Old Tiger
08-16-2007, 12:42 PM
On another note Dale Jr. is over-rated!

CHS_CG
08-16-2007, 12:43 PM

Thats how you feel.. awesome! Others dont feel that way.

Bull Butter
08-16-2007, 12:45 PM

Unfortunately, this is probably true. I like Dale, but his driving record speaks for itself. 9 seasons---17 wins, 0 championships.

If his name were Bob Smith, he'd be just another race car driver.

CHS_CG
08-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Unfortunately, this is probably true. I like Dale, but his driving record speaks for itself. 9 seasons---17 wins, 0 championships.

If his name were Bob Smith, he'd be just another race car driver.

what about Mark Martin.. hes never had a championship yet hes one of the best race car drivers around.. even at his age.

3afan
08-16-2007, 12:57 PM
its just a number .......

Bull Butter
08-16-2007, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
what about Mark Martin.. hes never had a championship yet hes one of the best race car drivers around.. even at his age.

Mark Martin is an excellent race car driver and having a good season (i wish he would race full-time) at age 48.

Let me clarify my "Over-rated" comment about Jr. He is a good driver and has 17 wins to his credit. However, his accomplishments are not worthy of all the praise and attention that is heaped on him. (Like being included in ESPN's "Who's Now" cometition) This comes as a result of being Dale Earnhardt's son. (Something which i understand, is totally beyond his control). In Jr's defense, he has handled the pressure that comes with his name with grace and class. However, if someone who had a different name had the same results, he would be lost in the shuffle.

My point is.................There are other drivers out there who have accomplished more and get far less attention than Dale (Jimmie Johnson, Tony Stewart,Kurt Busch)

LH Panther Mom
08-16-2007, 01:04 PM
link??????

CHS_CG
08-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
link??????

nascar.com it says at the top next to the author

CHS_CG
08-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Numbers game ends: Junior out of the No. 8
By Raygan Swan, NASCAR.COM
August 15, 2007
06:30 PM EDT

type size: + -Tattoo parlors will be busy during the offseason: Dale Earnhardt Jr. will not drive the No. 8 in 2008.

"We've been working hard to secure the No. 8 for Dale Jr.'s car number next season," Hendrick Motorsports general manager Marshall Carlson said Tuesday. "Obviously, he has a tremendous history with that number, and we know how important it is to his fans.

"Unfortunately, we couldn't reach a point where the terms made sense, and now we have to move forward with other options."

NASCAR "owns" the car numbers and teams generally keep the same numbers year over year. The rule -- Section 20 - 3.11 -- reads, in part: All NASCAR Nextel Cup Series car numbers are owned by and will be assigned by NASCAR for use by the car owner. Car numbers are not transferable or assignable by the car owner.

"Our hope was to carry the No. 8 with Dale Jr. to his new team, but the last proposal Hendrick Motorsports received from DEI just wasn't viable," said Kelley E. Elledge, vice president and general manager for JR Motorsports.

"It was a difficult decision, but all of us agreed that it was best to move in another direction. There's disappointment, of course, but we look forward to working with Hendrick Motorsports on what will be a great program for Dale Jr. and his fans in 2008."

Earnhardt has driven the No. 8 car since his Cup Series debut on May 30, 1999, at Charlotte. In 277 starts, the third generation driver has 17 wins, 73 top-five finishes and 117 top-10s.

No timetable has been set for an announcement of Earnhardt's car number or team sponsor.

A two-time Busch Series champion, Earnhardt has sported several numbers in that series with an 8 theme -- 87, 8, 81 and, most recently, 88 on July 7 at Daytona.

LH Panther Mom
08-16-2007, 01:13 PM
nascar.com it says at the top next to the author
That's not a link......

CHS_CG
08-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
That's not a link......

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/headlines/cup/08/15/dearnhardtjr.number.change/index.html

IHStangFan
08-16-2007, 02:02 PM

If his name were Bob Smith, he'd be just another race car driver. Bingo! Merchandise wise...hes a gold mine......as a driver....not so much.

crzyjournalist03
08-16-2007, 03:03 PM
As much as I would LOVE to see that, it wont happen... hes already said thats his dad's number not his and couldnt do drive that car. I think he will just be in the #5 with the sponsers it already has.. which is fine with me. My 2nd favorite driver drove that car for years. (Terry Labonte)

He's mentioned using #81 since that's what he's raced in the Busch series for years...heard the new sponsors will probably be either Pepsi (as a Mountain Dew car) or Sony.